How to bring a dog to DR?

B

batich

Due to the recent rise of crime, murders and robberies in the North Coast here is a question related to security.

A friend of mine wants to bring to DR two excellent guard dogs - Caucasian Mountain Dog. They kill intruder (or several intruders) instantly. They have a very high pain threshold (they do not feel pain, one must shoot him right in the head or heart to kill him, otherwise he kills the intruder first)

The dogs are found in USA from a special breeder. But how to bring them to Sosua? They are about 175- 185 LB in weight and size of a good man.

Is there any sea navigation service between USA and DR? Air is out of the question. We are willing to pay any premium if needed.

Also, what are veterenarian requirements for import of this kind if any? In terms of shots and papers.

Gracias!

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I just imported my dogs

First off, you're in for a long haul if you want to bring your dogs to the Dominican Republic before December or January.

All airlines have an embargo on the transportation of dogs (or live animals) in cargo until the 'mean' temperature is below 75f.

IF you want to bring the dogs in before the above mean temperature here is what you must due.

1) Go to Amerijet International
2) The above charter company fly's to Santiago a few times a week from Miami and will transport your dogs. You provide the crate. The crate must be large enough for the dog to stand and turn around.
3) Cost is around $300.00 per dog plus whatever you have to pay to get them cleared upon arrival, say $50.00 additional dollars.
4) The dogs will need to be have ALL vacinations including rabies.
5) A Vet certificate is required that is no older than 30 days from date of departure.

Keep in mind this is JUST from Miami. You'll need to get the dogs to Miami yourself.

IF you wait it's much easier and you can call American Airlines cargo and schedule the dogs directly from whatever city American fly's from your area.

Hope that helps. Please tell the dogs not to attack me.....

Jack

B

batich

First off, you're in for a long haul if you want to bring your dogs to the Dominican Republic before December or January.

All airlines have an embargo on the transportation of dogs (or live animals) in cargo until the 'mean' temperature is below 75f.

IF you want to bring the dogs in before the above mean temperature here is what you must due.

1) Go to Amerijet International
2) The above charter company fly's to Santiago a few times a week from Miami and will transport your dogs. You provide the crate. The crate must be large enough for the dog to stand and turn around.
3) Cost is around $300.00 per dog plus whatever you have to pay to get them cleared upon arrival, say $50.00 additional dollars.
4) The dogs will need to be have ALL vacinations including rabies.
5) A Vet certificate is required that is no older than 30 days from date of departure.

Keep in mind this is JUST from Miami. You'll need to get the dogs to Miami yourself.

IF you wait it's much easier and you can call American Airlines cargo and schedule the dogs directly from whatever city American fly's from your area.

Hope that helps. Please tell the dogs not to attack me.....

Jack
Thank you very much for your detailed reply! I`ll bring them to Miami in big SUV no problem!

Where do they keep dogs in the air plane? IN the luggage compartment? Does it have a normal temperature? May the owner be there with them during the flight? I want to avoid as much stress to dogs as possible.

I was told that they give dogs some drug to sleep during the flight, is it true?

I`d better spend a week with dogs going by a ship if it is possible. Than in crates in luggage compartment. If it is possible of course.

No, they never attack good people. They kill only "them".
You will be a welcome and safe guest in my home!
Best regards!

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Sorry I forgot to tell you that Amerijet is a 'perishable goods' cargo airline.

What that means is that primarily only carry goods that MUST be transported fast.

You dogs will ride in the 'First Class' section of the plane. Meaning right behind the pilots door. In fact the co-pilot that transported our dogs made sure they weren't hungy by feeding them her sandwiches.

Amerijet does a great job.

As far as a boat transfer I would never recommend this with animals. Even if you find one that would transfer the dogs it would be too long for the dogs to be in their crates.

Go with Amerijet, talk to Liza there, she'll explain the entire process.

By the way we drove a minivan from Phoenix, AZ to Miami with our 3 dogs just to get them here in the summer. They are alive and well.

Good luck to you!

Jack

B

batich

Sorry I forgot to tell you that Amerijet is a 'perishable goods' cargo airline.

What that means is that primarily only carry goods that MUST be transported fast.

You dogs will ride in the 'First Class' section of the plane. Meaning right behind the pilots door. In fact the co-pilot that transported our dogs made sure they weren't hungy by feeding them her sandwiches.

Amerijet does a great job.

As far as a boat transfer I would never recommend this with animals. Even if you find one that would transfer the dogs it would be too long for the dogs to be in their crates.

Go with Amerijet, talk to Liza there, she'll explain the entire process.

By the way we drove a minivan from Phoenix, AZ to Miami with our 3 dogs just to get them here in the summer. They are alive and well.

Good luck to you!

Jack
You cannot imagine how much relief do I feel now and how much I owe you for your kind advice!

B

batich

Beautiful picture! But a bit unusual. Never seen like this.They have their ears cut. It is standard.

THis breed is not practically civilized even up to now.
In pro lingo called "straight". Wild animals. Even owner has only about 75% control over them.

In their mountains they have to fight wolves to protect herds of sheep. One dog against several wolves. For this they have no ears (that are very painful if wolves bite them) and they bite extremelly fast . Like "Zinger" sewing machine.

Some better pics here:

?????????? ??????? ? ??????????????? ???????, ????????

Puppies first, adult dogs - follow. To click on a picture - to open bigger.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I got question: How you keep dees dogs from dying in dee heat>??

I got friend wit Husky, from Alaska, and he has air conditioning.

I tink I like Malinois more better, but you got good luck from me!

HB

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
those dogs wont be very happy in the DR with the heat all year. They are more suited for colder environments. This dog is also more known as a herding dog than a true fighting or guard dog.

B

batich

those dogs wont be very happy in the DR with the heat all year. They are more suited for colder environments. This dog is also more known as a herding dog than a true fighting or guard dog.

I have to agree with the first statement. Shorter haired breed would be better for DR heat.

Regarding protection duties - for several decades already in Eastern Europe it is considered the best protection breed (Second - considered Middle Asia shepperd dog, a bit smaller than Caucasians but kind of similar in personality and strength).

. And from my personal 20+ years experience with Caucasians I could say that it is true.

If the owner does not mind to get himself a new scar from time to time of course.

Kimadj

Oct 23, 2003
I have 3 tibetan mastiffs here in the DR, they are very similar with lots of fur. They are fine here,they have a two layer coat that helps to keep the heat out, They have been here three and a half years and are doing fine.

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
they do not feel pain, one must shoot him right in the head or heart to kill him, otherwise he kills the intruder first

A) You watch to many movies.

B) Dont worry, they will shoot the dog if they rob him.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I've never had to delete so many posts in one fell swoop!
Let's now keep it to dogs and their travel plans. Wanna talk about guns, start a new thread. Wanna talk about war, start a new thread.

attenewg

Feb 1, 2006
I recently brought my dog to the DR about a month ago, with no problem. I knew there was a stipulation on the heat factor so I decided to take a late flight. I flew from Miami into STI. When I got off the plane there was a officer waiting for me with me dog. I had all his paper with me. We fill out a form paid a small fee and went on our way. We had no problem at all.