Any Dominicans in Toronto?

Trupti

Sep 23, 2006
With a name like Trupti, I'm clearly not Dominican but...my boyfriend is and we're trying to figure out, live here, or there (Puerto Plata). I'm a teacher and would make peanuts in the DR, but I make decent money here.

So what I would like to ask is, if you immigrated from the DR, were you able to find work in your field of study/expertise? What were the main problems or obstacles in settling in Canada? Anything you can share with your experience would be helpful.

Thank you in advance :)

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
There's lots here!

There are a lot of Dominicans here in Toronto, but a LOT more in Montreal. I don't know if there are any on this board, but I'd be interested to find out!

Last edited:

chago

Feb 22, 2007
im dominican in toronto

hey im dominican im living in toronto in marcan my nane is jorge contact to me im exatin to meet dominican here i have tow week here

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
relocating

With a name like Trupti, I'm clearly not Dominican but...my boyfriend is and we're trying to figure out, live here, or there (Puerto Plata). I'm a teacher and would make peanuts in the DR, but I make decent money here.

So what I would like to ask is, if you immigrated from the DR, were you able to find work in your field of study/expertise? What were the main problems or obstacles in settling in Canada? Anything you can share with your experience would be helpful.

Thank you in advance :)
Hi. My family and I where at your position 2 years ago before we decided to move from surprise,AZ to Santiago, REp.Dom,
For us it was not a matter of gettign a job here it was more about the wellfare fo our baby
We own property in both places so rent was not an issue.
we had a car in US and one in DR so that was taken care of
wether: not a big factor since heat is the main thing in AZ
culture well iam dominican and my wife hondurena
income. well here it get tricky.
back in the US we needed over 6k permonth to cover all our expenses. here we manage with 2800 permotnh.
that includes a fulltime nana for the 2yearold
Work well we are both profesional and we had peltety of ofers onces we hit the streets looking for employment.
insted we open a little callcenter and have been supporting our family from the revenues earned from that.
Teaching does not pay well any where i nthe world. so dont be alarm if you dont get pay mucha mula here but with income from your boyfrined and your teaching will get you a midle class lifestyle(dr standards)
pm me is you need more help.
Albin living here since april 25 2006