english visa debit card

simonsmoo

Sep 24, 2006
visiting cabarete from october sixth,with my family.are there a.t.m. machines that i can use a visa debit card from the abbey bank (uk)

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
There are many ATM machines but check with your bank to see how much they charge per transaction. The debit card is the best way to obtain cash in the DR.

Chuckuindy

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
CHUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK:

I heard from a few pretty young Dominicanas that you were the most reliable source of Pesos!

Tambo'

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
ATM Machines Cabarete

visiting cabarete from october sixth,with my family.are there a.t.m. machines that i can use a visa debit card from the abbey bank (uk)

No problem. There is an ATM right outside the Tropical Beach/Casa Laguna and 2 others within a few hundred yards walking distance, UK Visa/Mastercards can be used in all of them.
Regards
Keith

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Inform your bank before you leave for DR, otherwise your card will be blocked after the first use...

chrisandmike

Sep 26, 2006
Using Debit Cards abroad

Uzin - I rang my Bank (Lloyds TSB) the other day to inform them of our impending trip, and I was told that it's no longer necessary to inform them of potential use abroad.

A bit cavalier, I thought, but I suppose it depends which Bank you have a Card with.

Has anyone else any experiences of telling their Bank about foreign use?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It really depends on the level of fraud screening on your card. For the cards that we use in the DR, we've turned the 'fraud sensitivity meter' way up high. If we make a big purchase in the DR, we call the card company before the time to tell them of the purchase. Anything else, and the cards get locked up immediately. The crime rate is just to crazy at the moment and I guess I've read too many stories of card fraud in the DR. This method works for us. Peace of mind at the price of a phonecall.

ukdrf

Aug 30, 2006
we've used Abbey and Nationwide cards this week, both allowed withdrawals of up to 10,000 pesos. We didn't notify the banks beforehand and no problems.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hsbc

I have had problems previously with HSBC bank despite informing them that I would be using my card in the DR. Their policy is that if you try to withdraw more than 10000 pesos in 24 hrs they block your card - this happened to me twice and with the cost of the call to their fraud department to unblock the card it's simply not work it.

Problem is the time difference can catch you out.....so beware!

I have changed to Nationwide where they do not limit your withdrawals and do not charge you to withdraw either. The rate I am getting at the moment using my Nationwide account is approx. 61/62 pesos to the pound - pretty good :)

daydream

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Its worth making a call to the bank just in case! Must admit ive never had a problem as yet though.................

Eddie from his Sports Bar warned me about the atms - be awear of power outs - there is a possibility of loseing your card in the machine while the power is out - so be awear of that before useing it - otherwise you may have to wait by the machine to have any chance of getting it back when the power comes back on.

Again - never been a problem for me as yet - but something to be awear of!

Have fun and enjoy your stay!!!

web

Nov 5, 2005
ATM's

Had an issue last time I was in Sosua with ATM's being out of money on a Sunday. First went to Scotia Bank; took me thru the whole process but did not give any money or receipt. Walked up to Banco Progreso, same thing except I did get a receipt this time, but still no money. Was very frustrated at this point. So figured 3 times was a charm and went to Banco Popular. No problemo, got my money. So then on Monday went to Scotia & Progreso. Had to wait until I got home, go to my bank, fill out a form to investigate. Luckily it was all documented online with my bank. Got the money back in about a week. Just make sure you document your transactions somehow.