Do you agree with the following statement?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Budweiser is to Americans like Presidente/Brugal is to Dominicans!

Over the past few weeks I have been going out a lot to bars/restaurants on business. I have noticed that when drinking beer my clients usually order Bud or Bud Light.

I remember growing up how my family drank Presidente. I had my first sip of it when I was 11 or 12. So my guess is that Budweiser is the traditional American beer and what is drank at home as most of my American clients order this beer.

Can anyone with some background history/information comment on this statement as well as tell us which beer has been around longer? I have a picture of a Presidente sign going back to like 1912 (this is why I ask).

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
when I was growing up I think a lot of latinos drank Miller, "el champan de las cervezas" lol. back in the 80's it was mainly Budweiser and then heikneken, later on Coronas and now a little of everything, there are sooo many choices. In the DR my father drank hard liquor never beer, I think in the states he might have drank beer, but he preffered liquor.

Jun 5, 2004
i think that you could compare presidente to budwiser even though this will not be the case with hispanics who prefer corona/heineken.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
To the dismay of many Dominicans (my self included), here is a little known fact of Presidente beer:

It's an American creation.

In fact, the man who created the Presidente beer was in fact an American.

-NALs

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Budweiser is to Americans like Presidente/Brugal is to Dominicans! So my guess is that Budweiser is the traditional American beer and what is drank at home as most of my American clients order this beer)

Not at all true, "traditional?"

As I was growing up in the USA, most everybody drank regional beers. But as time went on many of the smaller breweries were either winnowed out, or bought out by the bigger breweries.

Sadly, I guess it's the American way.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Well when I was growing up in NYC for example Rheingold was a big favorite, and I remember that many people also drank Schaeffer. Budweiser has been around for ever, but it didnt enjoy national status until relatively recently, maybe in the 70s? Miller and Bud battled it out, and Bud eventually won. But I think that Bud back in the days had a better flavor, was less watered down.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Budweiser was actually from the former Czechoslovakia, and Anheiser-Busch bought the name rights to worldwide - non-Czech - sales in the 1800's.

You can still buy the original Budweiser in the Czech republic, or in Slovakia now, not sure, since the country split in two. Much better than the American version.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Well when I was growing up in NYC for example Rheingold was a big favorite, and I remember that many people also drank Schaeffer. Budweiser has been around for ever, but it didnt enjoy national status until relatively recently, maybe in the 70s? Miller and Bud battled it out, and Bud eventually won. But I think that Bud back in the days had a better flavor, was less watered down.

You're showing your age.;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I certainly agree with macocael!!
I drank Black Lable (Mable get off the table, the quarter's for the beer!")
Ballintine, owned by my back door neighbors the Badenhouse family who also woned the Yankees: In fourteen hundred and 92
Columbus sailed the Ocean Blue.
the Trip was Hot
The trip was Dry!
BALLENTINE!!!

My beer is Rhinegold, the dry beer!...

Schaefer was perhaps my preferred brew, since they were the main sponsors of my beloved Dodgers--in Brooklyn..

And Piels: Hey Bert! Have a beer!!

HB older than dirt!!!

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
It is similar in that regions of the United States have in the past had beers that are popular and particular to that region. These individual regions could be similar in land mass to DR's total area.

Back in college this guy in the airforce reserve picked us all up cases of Reingold's extra dry for $6 each (it was the special of the week on the base). I drank my 24 one night but it was pretty nasty.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
In Mississippi in the 50's it was Schlitz, 60's it was Jax, 70's it was Miller High Life.
I left Mississippi in the 70's never to return.
Miller Lite became my choice in the late 70's and early 80's as I worked for the company in Albany, GA and in Milwaukee.
Lite has remained my choice except when I can get Presidente or Brahma.(Nothing like the shape of the Brahma Bottle.)

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
In Mississippi in the 50's it was Schlitz, 60's it was Jax, 70's it was Miller High Life.
I left Mississippi in the 70's never to return.
Miller Lite became my choice in the late 70's and early 80's as I worked for the company in Albany, GA and in Milwaukee.
Lite has remained my choice except when I can get Presidente or Brahma.(Nothing like the shape of the Brahma Bottle.)

I had this friend in Waco who dressed up a bunch of "old" coke bottles as a chorus line. he put heads, arms, legs and tutu's on them and lined them up behind the bar on the mantle. Good conversation pieces and original.

The Jax brewery was located in New Orleans and was a favorite in Dayton, TX in the 30's and 40's. There was another brand from San Antonio. Forgot the name. Anyone out there remember it??
Both were good, smooth beers. Not bitter at all. More like Japanese and Turkish beers.

Texas Bill

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
San Antonio Brewery

Bill,

Pearl was the only sizeable San Antonio brewery.

The Spoetzl Brewery makes some very fine product in Shiner, TX.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
You're showing your age.;)

Ha! Dont mind at all. I still feel as spry as I did twenty years ago.

Forgot all about Ballantine, Schlitz (which I used to drink -- in fact it was the very first beer I tasted) Black Label, Jax (which I liked), Genesee and Genesee Cream Ale (both upstate NY beers), Old Vienna, the old Lowenbrau (before it was bought by Miller), . . . there were many. And Conchman,thanks for the background on Budweiser, I had completely forgotten. But dont you think that budweiser back in the days had a bit more bite, a bit more flavor? I'd like to try the Czech version today, see how it stands up.