planning on moving to chicago

bxgirl2003

Sep 26, 2006
Heloo everyone!! I am planning on moving to Chicago at some point in July and I want to gather information on the Dominican Community out there. Any good websites or organizations that I can get that information from??

Thanks!!

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
The Dominican population in the Chicagoland area is very fragmented, bxgirl2003. The 2000 census indicated there were less than 1700 Dominicans in Chicago but I suspect there are many more here because when Dominican musical events take place they are very well attended and almost all of the attendees seem to be Dominicans--judging from their accents. Dominicans have a way of blending into the population here and they don't even recognize each other unless they happen to hear each other speak or when an occasional Dominican flag is seen hanging from a rearview mirror.
I know that a small number of Dominicans have gravitated to the Humboldt Park area (North Av--Armitage) which is dominated by Puerto Ricans and Mexicans.

Check this link to get other points of view and information about Dominicans in the area. Welcome to Chicago.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/dominicans-abroad/34233-chicago-dominicans.html

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Humboldt Park

I've lived in the Chicago area all of my life and wouldn't go into Humboldt Park area with an armored Humvee and protection from every gang in the neighborhood. There's some places you just don't go. Humboldt Park area is one.

I'm 50 miles north of the loop and have never met a Dominican here in Wisconsin. I work in Illinois (Waukegan) which is about 45 minutes from the loop (on a good day, with no traffic, no road construction, no snow, no rain, no breakdowns, no accidents, no traffic lights out, etc.) and there are a handful of Dominican families there. Certainly no Dominican families between Lake Forest and Highland Park unless they're cutting grass or working in or on homes. Nope, not many between here and Chicago. Not that many in Chicago either.

beasley

Oct 6, 2006
I've lived in the Chicago area all of my life and wouldn't go into Humboldt Park area with an armored Humvee and protection from every gang in the neighborhood. There's some places you just don't go. Humboldt Park area is one.

I'm 50 miles north of the loop and have never met a Dominican here in Wisconsin. I work in Illinois (Waukegan) which is about 45 minutes from the loop (on a good day, with no traffic, no road construction, no snow, no rain, no breakdowns, no accidents, no traffic lights out, etc.) and there are a handful of Dominican families there. Certainly no Dominican families between Lake Forest and Highland Park unless they're cutting grass or working in or on homes. Nope, not many between here and Chicago. Not that many in Chicago either.

That is just ridiculous! I volunteered at Puerto Rican Culture Center on Division while in college in Chicago. I used to either ride my bike or take the bus...never had any problems. Oh, I see that you live in the suburbs...explains everything.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
unfair call against humboldt park

That is just ridiculous! I volunteered at Puerto Rican Culture Center on Division while in college in Chicago. I used to either ride my bike or take the bus...never had any problems. Oh, I see that you live in the suburbs...explains everything.

Yes I agree with you; what KenoshaChris says about Humboldt Park is ridiculous. While I am not a resident of the Humboldt Park neighborhood
I used to work there and still return to the neighborhood from time to time with my family to attend various functions there. HP is not Fifth Ave in NYC
but it's not a bad place to live either.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002

When did Wisconsin become a suburb of Illinois?

y22zgf

Oct 20, 2006
Most of the Dominicans that I know live in Noble Square, Humboldt Park, and Logan Square areas.