Is It Love Of The Country Or The Weather?

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
I see people stating how much they love the country and then thought, is it really the country or the weather? Most foreigners crave the better weather and get it in the DR compared to thier country of origin.
Don't get me wrong, I like the DR and the people and culture and ambience alot and stopped going to Mexico about 5 or 6 years ago after our first visit. I'm just thinking that knowing the poverty, unreliable elecricity, health care and recent crime spree, if the climate were the same as Toronto or New York, few would crave it.
I think it's MOSTLY an inexpensive destination, to a fun place with the big weather advantage.
Steve

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Well considering how many warm places there are to choose from in and around the DR there must be something or someone that keeps them going back to the same place.

We humans are creatures of habit and like repeating what FEELS comfortable and familiar. ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is a love of a man....

dude, it's a way too hot in here and i cannot imagine x-mas in a bikini ;) guess people have different reasons to come here, i travelled thousands miles from my country to be with my man. and it sounds so posh to say "i live in the carribean...!"
maybe people in canada are nice, but so much in europe, i find smily faces very refreshing after grim grins on the faces of londoners...
one thing for sure, i miss snow already, i miss waking up to a cloudy dark skies, i miss wrapping myself in two blankets for the night...

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
dude, it's a way too hot in here and i cannot imagine x-mas in a bikini ;) guess people have different reasons to come here, i travelled thousands miles from my country to be with my man. and it sounds so posh to say "i live in the carribean...!"
maybe people in canada are nice, but so much in europe, i find smily faces very refreshing after grim grins on the faces of londoners...
one thing for sure, i miss snow already, i miss waking up to a cloudy dark skies, i miss wrapping myself in two blankets for the night...

that's something I would never miss. its gets cloudy in the DR.

to answer the OP's question, I believe is a little of both the weather and the country plus the prices are really inexpensive compare to other islands. It is also pretty safe to go about the island. or for most, is it the men and women of the island?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Ice cold AC corrects that

that's something I would never miss. its gets cloudy in the DR.

to answer the OP's question, I believe is a little of both the weather and the country plus the prices are really inexpensive compare to other islands. It is also pretty safe to go about the island. or for most, is it the men and women of the island?

Cloudy days, cloudy nights, two blankets to stay warm with that AC blasting ice cold air into my house. I am from NY and lived there my entire life. Once I slipped on some ice and landed right onto my back. I swore from that day on that the only time I want to see and feel ice is when it is in my drink or on my beer bottle.

I bounce back and forth between NY and the DR as I have filed my retirement papers and wait for full retirement. I will still live in NY in the summer because I love it there and in the DR during the winter because I love it there.

I established so many long term relationships here in the DR. In the begining it was the sense of being in paradise, the wild nights, partying with fun loving happy people. However, that has long passed and I now settled in to business and family while in the DR. I still love rambling around the countryside in my jeepeta, lounging by my pool, or going up to my home in the campo, eating fresh killed chicken, fish, pig, chivo fruits and vegetables. Swimming in the river and staring at the full moon in complete darkness as my folks and friends gather to sip a bottle of rum and talk about their gallos.

Live is a hectic ratrace driven by business and succeess! Success is then appreciated by going someplace where money, time and material things is no longer important and life is ohhh so so simple. I worked for that and I treausre it!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
yeap, my image of paradise.

I established so many long term relationships here in the DR. In the begining it was the sense of being in paradise, the wild nights, partying with fun loving happy people. However, that has long passed and I now settled in to business and family while in the DR. I still love rambling around the countryside in my jeepeta, lounging by my pool, or going up to my home in the campo, eating fresh killed chicken, fish, pig, chivo fruits and vegetables. Swimming in the river and staring at the full moon in complete darkness as my folks and friends gather to sip a bottle of rum and talk about their gallos. !

Only get to do that a few weeks a year. :(

Do you need company? :)

btw:just kiddin'

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Cloudy days, cloudy nights, two blankets to stay warm with that AC blasting ice cold air into my house. I am from NY and lived there my entire life. Once I slipped on some ice and landed right onto my back. I swore from that day on that the only time I want to see and feel ice is when it is in my drink or on my beer bottle.

I bounce back and forth between NY and the DR as I have filed my retirement papers and wait for full retirement. I will still live in NY in the summer because I love it there and in the DR during the winter because I love it there.

I established so many long term relationships here in the DR. In the begining it was the sense of being in paradise, the wild nights, partying with fun loving happy people. However, that has long passed and I now settled in to business and family while in the DR. I still love rambling around the countryside in my jeepeta, lounging by my pool, or going up to my home in the campo, eating fresh killed chicken, fish, pig, chivo fruits and vegetables. Swimming in the river and staring at the full moon in complete darkness as my folks and friends gather to sip a bottle of rum and talk about their gallos.

Live is a hectic ratrace driven by business and succeess! Success is then appreciated by going someplace where money, time and material things is no longer important and life is ohhh so so simple. I worked for that and I treausre it!

My freind that is living and exactly how I percieve it to be...well said.
hifiman

CanadianGurl

Mar 21, 2006
"Life is a hectic ratrace driven by business and succeess! Success is then appreciated by going someplace where money, time and material things is no longer important and life is ohhh so so simple. I worked for that and I treausre it!"......

In Canada or in my circle which is not to say its everyone's so I will clarify that..."We live to work"....in the DR...they "Work to live".....I remember one Sunday on the Malecon particularly when I realized ..."this is where I fall in love with this country", ....in Canada, on Sunday I work to get ready for Monday, in Santo Domingo, the people I met thought this was crazy, ....they celebrate with so much happiness on Sunday...as they do on so many occasions.....

I have yet to post about my summer experience...and I hope sometime soon to do so, however, being back in this hectic work world I live in.....but when I returned to Canada, many people were waiting for my "horrific"...."dangerous" experiences...to some extent people even taunted me to talk negatively about my experience which really frustrated me...

I teach grade 9 students, and I told them a story about a Dominican bus that dead center of Winston Churchill to tell me they thought I was going the wrong direction one day, because when I got off I told them I needed to go to the Multi Centro, when I really had to get to that corner, and then proceed right to Gold's Gym....well the people on the bus figured I was going the wrong way, and this was day two of my summer experience, so I knew very little spanish......the next thing I knew this big GREY bus stopped in the middlle of the road to get the guy that collects money to run over and turn me around...because none of us knew how to communicate ......then I said to my students. "Can you imagine that happening here in Canada?"...Do you think one of the metro buses would even notice that a foreigner might be going the wrong direction, let alone care.....and they were very quiet,...

and I explained, that I do not think Canadians are necessarily unfriendly or uncaring, it is just not part of our culture, and for me the remainder of my trip unfolded in exactly the same experiences. Beautiful people, rich and poor, that continued to do whatever they could to protect me, help me, and show me a good time. From the 2am arrival in Santo Domingo, ...to the 5am departure, I was surrounded by some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life.

I am hoping to return, ...in fact planning to return for two years next September to teach. Perhaps more than 7 weeks will change my view...I am not sure, 7 weeks was not very long....but I can say that I did the A1 in March and knew that I wanted to go back, ...now I have done 7 weeks in the Capital, and arrived there not knowing a single person......and the one thing I continue to say, is how much I love the person that I am, when I am there, and that the greatest part of my experiences, have been the people that I have been surrounded by....