CAFTA and conventions

abe

Jan 2, 2002
I have searched (admittedly quickly) and not found any discussion of this:

Under CAFTA-DR will American corporations, associations, etc. be able to deduct the cost of conventions held in DR hotels?

It is my understanding that US tax policy limits deductions for this item to destinations within the US; that could be very old news though. If tht,at's true, but CAFTA changes that, then that would cleary bode well for DR hospitality industry.

Thanks.

Drugdog

Mar 28, 2003
What State are you in? We worked with our State (Ohio) Department of Comm and now the Feds have came in and have helped big time. Several programs are offered.

Kevin

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Let me rephrase my question--I appreciate your response, but perhaps I haven't made my question clear enough.

Let's take the big Westin Convention center that is the anchor project for Roco Ki. Have the developers considered the impact of tax deductibility for conventions held there for US companies?

If the US tax law does not allow companies to deduct the cost of events held there, that would seem to be a big impediment to booking the events.

Does anyone know the exact status of this? If US companies cannot now deduct the cost of conventions held in the DR, will CAFTA change that?

That's what I am wondering about.

Thanks.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
I'm certainly not an expert on DR-CAFTA but I was an attorney back in NY, and I have been reading the agreement as part of my work with local lawyers in the DR, discussing its ramifications and implications. From a plain reading of the agreement I can't find anything that directly addresses your question. But, you do bring up an interesting point; Does the granting of a tax break for a domestic event constitute some kind of tariff against foreign providers of similar services? And are these types of services covered under the provisions of DR-CAFTA? My gut feeling (informed but not expert is No). You should of course ask your Tax Attorney or Accountant, but this is a very new area of law and I doubt if any decisions have been rendered concerning the interpretation of DR-CAFTA as conflicting with IRS regs. The link below gives you the text of DR-CAFTA, Good luck with your business.

USTR - CAFTA-DR Final Text

Disclaimer: The above information is provided for entertainment purposes only, any reliance on the opinion of the author is entirely at the risk of the user. Contact your Tax Attorney or Accountant before making any decisions concerning Tax Liability or compliance with IRS regulations.:rolleyes:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
According to this IRS tax bulletin Internal Revenue Bulletin - October 20, 2003 - Rev. Rul. 2003-109 , convention related expenses held in the DR are already deductible.

For purposes of claiming deductions for expenses incurred in connection with a convention, seminar, or similar meeting, the following areas are included in the ?North American area? as of the effective date of section 274(h) except as otherwise indicated:

1. The fifty states of the United States and the District of Columbia;
2. The possessions of the United States, which for this purpose are American Samoa, Baker Island, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Island, Kingman Reef, the Midway Islands, Palmyra, the United States Virgin Islands, Wake Island, and other United States islands, cays, and reefs not part of the fifty states or the District of Columbia;
3. Canada;
4. Mexico;
5. The Republic of the Marshall Islands;
6. The Federated States of Micronesia;
7. The Republic of Palau;
For expenses incurred in attending a convention that began after:
8. Antigua and Barbuda February 9, 2003
9. Barbados November 2, 1984
10. Bermuda December 1, 1988
11. Costa Rica February 11, 1991
12. Dominica May 7, 1988
13. Dominican Republic October 11, 1989

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Great work, Howmar!

That's what I was looking for--but didn't know how to find it.

That certainly looks like the answer--and perhaps the former attorney who responded would concur with this find.

Thanks.