Altos de Chavon recognized for its graduates

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Interesting, but what was this supposed to mean???:

Please describe your average student. The majority come from the Dominican Republic with great drawing ability but humble backgrounds.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Interesting, but what was this supposed to mean???:

Please describe your average student. The majority come from the Dominican Republic with great drawing ability but humble backgrounds.

It means they are poor. Is this a serious question or what.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
It means they are poor.

I doubt it. The Kid's been there and knows people who have studied there - possibly the most pretentious, arrogant, and uppity group of students in the entire island, especially the Dominicans. And it's expensive, too. Some may be poor, but humble? No way.

-The Kid

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
I have many friends and a family member who graduated from Chavon. Being that it is affiliated with Parsons, there are many foreigners (who do 2 years there and finish off in NY). Many are just rich kids from the capital. But in every class you find a couple who are poor, but have insane talent.

In general, Chavoneros are the funkiest, most openminded people you will find in the whole of DR.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I doubt it. The Kid's been there and knows people who have studied there - possibly the most pretentious, arrogant, and uppity group of students in the entire island, especially the Dominicans. And it's expensive, too. Some may be poor, but humble? No way.

-The Kid

Hey Kid
I can tell you that my niece and cousin who attended the school are the total opposite of your description of the students there.

How the word "humble" is used in the article maybe open to different interpretations but I can tell that my family members are not rich. Btw they both are very talented and down to earth.

Last edited:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I have many friends and a family member who graduated from Chavon. Being that it is affiliated with Parsons, there are many foreigners (who do 2 years there and finish off in NY). Many are just rich kids from the capital. But in every class you find a couple who are poor, but have insane talent.

In general, Chavoneros are the funkiest, most openminded people you will find in the whole of DR.

Did you mean "innate talent":)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
The art instructor where I work is a graduate of Altos de Chavon. He is fantastic and anything but arrogant...probably one of the most creative people I know in this country.

Scandall