Single woman traveller

lonetraveller

Sep 4, 2006
I have been on a couple other forums (not DR1) with no luck. Hoping someone can help me out.
I will be visiting DR in Jan 2007 staying at Playa Dorada complex for 2 weeks. The first week I will be there with 2 friends (but they like to stay on the resort) the second week I will be by myself. During the second week I would like to be go into P.P City and do some shopping - what is the safest way for me to do this, an other things off the resort? Guide? Just take a taxi? I speak very little Spanish so I am am not sure how the public taxi's would work out for me.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Hope this will help!

I am a 40 year old woman--I travelled to the DR in March--did not leave the resort except for a day excursion with a company (jeep tour). I went back in July, stayed at a resort, BUT had a friend (who speaks very good English) that I had met on my previous trip take me to Sosua, Cabarate, and Puerto Plata (several times). We even travelled to another region (my friend's home town) which was 3 hours away.

I am quite an adventurous person but because of the language barrier (I speak no Spanish) I know it would have been very difficult for me to travel anywhere on my own--especially not knowing the area at all. We travelled almost always by public transit (which was nothing like our public transit here in Canada)--usually 20 people jammed into a 12 passenger van! I would not give any of it up for a minute though--it truly was an adventure!

I know there are several English-speaking taxi drivers that you can find right at the complex--we took taxis back to the complex a few times late at night from Puerto Plata and a couple of them spoke very good English. Although you will pay more, it is probably worth it to stick with someone who understands you and where you want to go.

Who knows, you may meet someone during your first week that you will feel comfortable travelling around with for your second week. I met many people (local and foreign) on my first trip and keep in touch with a lot of them.

You just have to be careful and use good judgment and go with what you are comfortable with! I hope you have an amazing trip--I plan to go back again and again!!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hi. I just returned from traveling alone - stayed in Sosua. However, I've stayed many times in Playa Dorado.

I don't speak Spanish either but sometimes I negotiated with a taxi driver by the little mall - they spoke English - others I walked out of the complex onto the main road and took public transportation - and even if they didn't understand me or vice versa,we both understood showing the money. The public transportation was very cheap and often.

I know this was probably adventurous of me, but I loved it. The public cars don't go off the main road - just between the towns.

Good luck
Ro

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hi. I just returned from traveling alone - stayed in Sosua. However, I've stayed many times in Playa Dorado.

I don't speak Spanish either but sometimes I negotiated with a taxi driver by the little mall in Playa Dorado - they spoke English - others I walked out of the complex onto the main road and took public transportation - and even if they didn't understand me or vice versa,we both understood showing the money. The public transportation was very cheap and came by often. Yes it makes many stops but I wasn't on a time schedule.

I know this was probably adventurous of me, but I loved it. The public cars don't go off the main road - just between the towns. There are 2 kinds - one is a van type and the other a regular car that looks like a taxi.

Good luck
Ro

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i really don't think you will have too many problems during the day traveling alone. always take transportation at night. i'm not too familiar with POP nightlife but i know if you come over to sosua at night, you will have a good time.

please read the "sankie" posts.....

lonetraveller

Sep 4, 2006
single woman traveller

Thanks for everyone's help! Any more ideas let me know.

I know I will have a blast doing all my travelling. I plan on going at least once a year so I'm sure once I am more familiar (and my Spanish impoves) I will get to know more and more of the DR.

:)

lonetraveller

Sep 4, 2006
I have been reading the sankie reports. Thanks for the advice.
Lots of infomation but since I have a travelled a couple of other countries I learned about "men" like this quite early and my commom sense prevailed.

solowmn

Sep 25, 2006
When?

I'm also going to the North Coast area. I'd love to have company on my outings. I had planned on going in Dec. but could change my schedule for Jan. Spanish is not my forte either. It's awesome to see so many single women travellers!

lonetraveller

Sep 4, 2006
I will be down from Jan 8 until Jan 22. First week I spend time with my "resort friends" but after that I am going to start my real adventures. It is great to see so many woman that have overcome the "I need a man to travel with" syndrome. I will be staying in Playa Dorada complex. If you want send me a PM and we can discuss.

susan1

Sep 25, 2006
safety

Can anyone give me info on the safety there in the DR. I plan to visit but didn't know much about the safety there. any info will be appreciated. thanks

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
safety is matter of common sense like anywhere....don't let the alcohol guide you in the wrong direction.

dreams2sail

Nov 1, 2007
Okay....I give up....what's a sankie? :) I can come up with my own definitions but might be way off target.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I am a single female who travels to the DR often alone. Puerto Plata is a safe city during the day. You can walk anywhere. If you go out at night make sure that you go out with others, never alone. As in any city, use common sense.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
No Rocky....haven't you noticed that people seem to read what they want to and NOT what's been written?

THAT'S THE MAIN REASON we keep getting the "Sankie" stories and that's the most visited forum on this site!!!!! ;)

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Can anyone give me info on the safety there in the DR. I plan to visit but didn't know much about the safety there. any info will be appreciated. thanks

its as safe/unsafe as any other carribean destination (or any other country for that matter) but if you use your common sense, you'll be fine :)

happy travelling!

DarkAngel

Mar 9, 2011
Help!!

I will be travelling alone to (hopefully) the DR later this year and would like to know which is the best city/area for me to stay in, being a single female traveller? I want to take in some sites, go to a beach and scope out some night life....doing this by myself so safety is a concern. My ex told me he would not recommend Santo Domingo and that Punta Cana is expensive and Punta Cana doesnt sound like it would be of interest anyways. So, any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated. Oh and I speak Spanish not extrememly fluent (funny since I am Mexican American haha) but working on it.
Thanks! :bunny: