Re: Fernandez

F

Fabio J. Guzman

The constitutional change was a result of the post-election crisis in 1994. Balaguer "won" the 1994 elections but due to internal and external (U.S.) pressures was forced to shorten his period to two years and to accept a constitutional amendment prohibiting consecutive reelection which prevented him from running in 1996. Fernandez who won in 1996 cannot run in this year's election but may run again in 2004. Balaguer could not run in 1996 but is a candidate again this year at age 93.

T

Tom

Fabio, What is your opinion on Balaguer running as a cadidate in this years election? Don't the Reformistas have any younger people who could represent the party?

D

DR-Defender

Well, you didn't ask me about Balaguer running for a another term but I will post my opinion. Personally I think its ridiculous! Man, my people sometimes are so DAMN selfish! I mean what the hell is that old man going to do for our country when he can't even see anymore. They Just @#$&*$% care only about themselves. And another thing that I find quite funny is that they can't run for president twice in a role but they can come back 4 years later and run? That's stupid in my opinion. No sense at all! Cause I see it this way...think about this: Lets make pretend for example that I'm president for four years and I do a pretty good job in helping the nation then comes the election again and I can't run so someone else takes it for four years and does a real rotten job with the nation and then I have a chance to come back to try to get the nation on its feet again when I could just have done the nation a favor by being in office for 2 terms. That makes a hell of a lot more sense but no-ofcourse not-dominicans do idiotic things sometimes just out of selfishness that's why our country doesn't get ahead and it pis#$@ me off!

C

CES

For more opinions on the up coming election visit the "Bravenet" board at:

<A HREF="http://www3.bravenet.com/forum/show.asp?msgid=0&userid=XC87864&fp2">http://www3.bravenet.com/forum/show.asp?msgid=0&userid=XC87864&fp2</A>=

Regards . . . CES

T

Tom

The idea behind not allowing consecutive terms for President was to not concentrate too much political power in the hands of one person. After Leonel took office, there was talk of changing that part on the excuse that 4 years was not enough time to get much accomplished. Nothing ever came of it.

I don't think what would happen in 2000 was much discussed during the 1994 constitutional changes. Most probably thought Balaguer would not be healthy enough to run again or dead by now. The Reformistas hold somewhere between 10-15% of the population and this is declining. Balaguer has always been able to play the two left leaning parties against each other to maintain power. Now, the Reformistas have been reduced to the level of spoiler. Neither the PRD or the PLD have 50% of the popular vote and the Reformistas have been able to maintain a place in government. (It's ironic that 80-85% of the vote is for liberal parties yet politics does not focus on populist issues.)

When Balaguer passes, the Reformistas will probably slowly dissappear. How the economic power elite maintain political influence will be interesting. Lucky for them, most people go into politics in order to make money rather serve the public.