Banco Popular Another Baninter?

Oct 3, 2006
about 6 months ago, I contacted someone in el banco popular.
I told them I was building a house, and wanted to lone to finish the house.

the lady in the bank told me all the documentartion she needed.
ok, I gave it to ther, she said, you are aproved for the loan, we just need you to send money for our tasador to evaluate your property... I did,

again, you are aproved, we need you to have a lawyer fill out your application formaly, I know fo a lady that does that send me more money....

ok, I found it a bit strange, but I did....

you are approved.... did you send this documents? yes
you are approved... did we send a tasador? yes
yes you have been aproved? ok then when will I get the loan?
you are approved....

since I was in the US, I send my girlfirnd to get teh documentatrion, so she calls her and tells her, everything would be solved in a week If I were in the country.

I told her, I was going to take a trip over there to help her with what she needs.

my girlfriend gets a cal the next day form the bank, saying this lady does not work here anymore?

I said, what? she kept on asking for money and saying everythign was ok? whats us? I called the central office, and ask for the lady, they tell me she is still working for the bank?

at this point something is wrong, I get another person to handle my case, he said they need a large amoutn of cash to handle the legal cost of the loan, than every had been approved. I disk out a large amoutn of money...

and guess what? my cash is gone, no loan has been given to me, but they keep on saying everything is ok? 6 months lady, and a crap load of cash gone, and eveything is ok, so I said I suspencting fraud from the bank....

I get someone yeling at me saying hey... whats your problem?

I heard of baninter, and the corruction that happens in the bank on DR, what do you think el popular is doing fraudulant things or what?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This is a case of wrong number. How do you know you were even talking to Banco Popular. If you are going to build a home in another country in this case the DR You should be there!!!!!!!!

Oct 3, 2006
This is a case of wrong number. How do you know you were even talking to Banco Popular. If you are going to build a home in another country in this case the DR You should be there!!!!!!!!

I did go there!!! after they said they would solve the problem in a week in I was over there, I even went to the Torre Popular, the Banks Main branch, it was not a case of a mistaken number, I went to the main location and spoke with someone there.

they are just freaking corrupt. I got a lawyer, she is trying to get my money back.

Oct 3, 2006
Scary how easily some people will hand over money....
-------------------------------------------------------------------

its a bank they are suppost to have ethics...

banks in the US, would not do something like that, becuase teh banks would not tarnish their reputation, by stealing.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I did go there!!! after they said they would solve the problem in a week in I was over there, I even went to the Torre Popular, the Banks Main branch, it was not a case of a mistaken number, I went to the main location and spoke with someone there.

they are just freaking corrupt. I got a lawyer, she is trying to get my money back.

You went after the fact. When it involves sending money for this and for that I'm there in persona;)

Oct 3, 2006
You went after the fact. When it involves sending money for this and for that I'm there in persona;)

well, They admitted receiving the money to my lawyer, now they have to answer what they have done with it..

I'm sure, she will get the cash back, but I want to know if the bank can get sued..... the employee tried to take the cash and run, and the bank should know better than to hire people who would do this. I dont think people sue over there.

I'm a dominican, raised in new york, its a shame to find this type of corruption in my country of birth.

my parents got scammed once or twice by workers, when they were buidling their building... I just did not expect this from a bank...

its scary. makes you think twice about investing in the dominican republic.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I'm sure there are many members here that have succesfully invested on the island. Don't give up, others here will be happy to give you good advise.

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
mortgages in the DR

The banks here are notorius for taking forever to approve a loan, and love paperwork.

if you are still looking for financng check out

Dominican Republic Real Estate - Finance

They do financing using US assets or the property here in the DR as collateral, at realistic rates in US $....and they speak English!

JRR

Oct 3, 2006
I have an uncle that lives in DR who said he was approved a given a loan in about 3 weeks.... I'm going on to 8 months since they said I was approved...

no bank can be that slow....

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Let me get some thing clear here, you've been waiting 8 months for a loan approval from which bank??? Not Banco Popular I hope.

Oct 3, 2006
read my original message, I'm having my lawyer look into fraud from that bank.
yes, around february of this years and a few thousand dollar later( the charged me the "legal costs" and taxes they had to pay to transfer the title to me which never happened) in legal cost, banco popular keeps on saying that everything is ok that I'm approved. but there is still no loan.

even some of the banco popular employee when I explained to them the situation said something seemed very wrong.

I think some employee wanted to take advanteg of the situation of someone who was always outside of thier country to put cash in their pockets. its the only explanation for whats going on.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if your lawyer is looking into some kind of fraud, irregularity's and 8 months of waiting, what makes you think you will get the loan approval.:surprised