Ufffff Jodenorte, electric bill gone nuts

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
As you all know, I live alone and my consumption of the electric has been the same all the time. I do use an a/c to sleep at night but this has been the case always. My bill used to come 1500 pesos, then doubled and then tripled and now came to 6700 plus for the month. What the hell?
I was paying like 4400 for the past 2 months and now they have decided to make it 6700 for this month. This is insane. What is next, 10,000 pesos for the following months?
Me go to their main office to complain.
AZB

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Nuts

AZB,

You remember my house in Sosua. When I was away for 3-4 weeks my bill was the same as when I was in residence. After loads of complaining to no avail I told them to cut supply, my bill continued in SD. I then had them cut the big cable from the road, guess what --- my bill continued. I refused to pay. For 18 months the bill continued to rise to just recently. You have my complete sympathy. Good luck

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Jodenorte

When I was there in September, I recall receiving a couple of dirty looks when I was sporting my blue edenorte company shirt, hahahaha. I think I will leave that shirt at home upon my return visit.

Don't they have meters??
Don't they deduct for Blackouts??

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
permitame reirme hahahahahah ha

When I was there in September, I recall receiving a couple of dirty looks when I was sporting my blue edenorte company shirt, hahahaha. I think I will leave that shirt at home upon my return visit.

Don't they have meters??
Don't they deduct for Blackouts
??

too too funny ahhahahahaha
I guess you haven't read the threads on edernorte here.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hummmmmmmmmm

My bill was around RD$4000.00 each month, my bill for the last two months has been RD$7000.00 (Same Consumption according to the attached chart)

The explanation was all tax's have risen substantially.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
you would not get interrupted elect service in ny,,, nor get bills like that.... tradeoffs my friend.. tradeoffs.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
As you all know, I live alone and my consumption of the electric has been the same all the time. I do use an a/c to sleep at night but this has been the case always. My bill used to come 1500 pesos, then doubled and then tripled and now came to 6700 plus for the month. What the hell?
I was paying like 4400 for the past 2 months and now they have decided to make it 6700 for this month. This is insane. What is next, 10,000 pesos for the following months?
Me go to their main office to complain.
AZB

That's horrible...considering so many people on the island make incredibly low figures like $7000 RD, it's a wonder so many poor people steal electricity...vicious circle.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
que abuso

My bill was around RD$4000.00 each month, my bill for the last two months has been RD$7000.00 (Same Consumption according to the attached chart)

The explanation was all tax's have risen substantially.

You must complain about this, everyone should get together on this one, it seems that its happening to many people. This is really abusive of them to hike the bill like that :mad: :mad: :mad: get angry!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
you would not get interrupted elect service in ny,,, nor get bills like that.... tradeoffs my friend.. tradeoffs.

You are right my man, sometimes I feel like leaving from here. This is insane. I use the same electric every month.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The DR has maybe the most expensive electricity in the world and the 3rd most unreliable. Only the Congo and Haiti are below the DR.

Ricardo900
Don't they have meters? Yes, but that doesn't mean anything.
Don't they deduct for Blackouts? Nope.

Welcome to the 3rd world baby! Right now we have no fuel and the electricity service sucks. But hey, look on the bright side... we will soon have a shiny new metro, which should make it easy for all those Government Lexus and Landcruiser jeeps to get about on the streets.

What's really funny, is when I see threads on DR1 e.g "Picking a good Dominican" and how people take the expert stance on that type of BS, yet 95% of them have no clue what it's like to actually live here or what's really going on.

As granny said... You need to live it to talk about honey... ;)

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
One thing to remember is that they do not read most meters EVERY month. They normally only check them every few months, and bill for the corrections. THAT WAY, they can make more money, because the catch-up bill will put you into the RD$7 per kwhr zone.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
I am with EDESUR, I think they are all the same.
My February 06 bill showed a consumtion of 699 kw leading to an amount of 3996,65 RD$.
In March 06 I had a consumption of 701 kw and had to pay 6116.22 RD$.
Very expensive 2 kw, 2119,57 RD$.
When my wife called we found out that 700 kw and more require the industrial rate 8.75 peso per kilowatt.
Since then we've never reached the 700 kw again.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Also, I started putting milk cartons full of water in all the empty spaces in my reefer, an LG with double doors.

That alone knocked almost 4 kw a DAY off of my bill. That's over 100kw a month right there!. We all know it's easier to keep ice frozen than it is to cool air.

I am curious to know more tips about how to save electricity with my fridge...

It's a brand new Nedoca, but it seems to suck quite a lot of juice...

I already pu the level to the lowest...

(in LT, I pay 11rd$/Kwh)

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
It´s too bad when you cross the barrier of 700 kwats and more when is 702 then you will pay more, if you change all lighst into the low comsumption lights, the bill goes down.

Too bad for you that has to continue suffering those black outs and receiving the same bill as if you have 24/7 Service, But all of us Dominicans has change our minds and pay the service, and for sure Edenorte and EdeSur will do the same that did EdeEste here in El Seibo and Hato Mayor, both cities are receiving 24 hrs 7 days a week power service, Starting Sept. 28 we haven´t have black outs.

After that now we are having better service of watter suply too.

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
Same in Punta Cana with CEPM

I have the same problem here in Punta Cana with CEPM. My bill for my one bedroom apartment was 1700 a month and for the past 6 months it has been 4000. Someone told me that the hot water heater comsumes a lot of electricity so I took cold showers for 2 months so I could see the difference and my bill went up!!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, I will only leave my router and internet modem on and turn off the rest. I will turn on my a/c only at night. I will use more ceiling fans from now on. Lets ee if I will sleep without a/c tonight. I think when my batteries were not charging up and getting hot instead, signs of wasted current from inverter charger to the batteries. I will make a few changes in my house to see if that would help.
AZB

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
and for the A/C user, the most of people has the AC on whole night, program it for only 3 or 4 Hrs at night before you go to the bed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a private company (puerto plata de electridad? can't remember well spanish names yet...). we had 2 blackouts, around 10 min each. monthly bill is 1500. last month we started to swich off monitor for the night, no change in the bill :-( this month we switch off the whole computer for the night. our fridge is always full ;-) so no problems there. how to reduce the bills? 1500 may not seem a lot but we are just starting here, every penny saved is appreciated...

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
dv8 wait till you see the next bill! I too am on Puerto Plata Electricidad.

I"ve basically cut back on my A/C, and turn everything off not in use, the bill DOUBLED!!!! I am told that they have increased rates to discourage usage. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Once I have the latest bill I will post my rates and usage.