Rural Emergency Medicine

akmedic

Oct 5, 2006
I am currently designing some basic emergency medical courses in Alaska, similar to what Red Cross does, but specifically for rural areas that lack access to a 911 emergency medical system. These courses are going to be scenario based and 4-16 hours longs designed for people with no medical background. There will be a focus on developing leadership skills in emergency situations.

I am traveling to the Dominican Republic this spring for several months to visit old friends (I was a Peace Corps volunteer from '93-'95) and to research rural emergency health care and education. I believe there will be many similarities in the level of education and access in the D.R. as there are in the rural Native communities in Alaska.

If you can think of any contacts or resources that may assist me, I would love to receive this information. As well, I am looking to hear first hand accounts of people's experiences in emergency situations in the D.R., in order to provide relevant material in the courses.

I hope this is an appropriate use of this forum. Thank you for your interests and any assistance you might be able to provide.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm sorry that I can't help you with the desired info, but I can assure you that this is a proper use of the forum.

I have seen small medical centers in rural areas that I assume cover the population of a large area. Don't think they are manned full time. Suspect these centers are government financed, though not sure.

Post any interesting findings of your study here. I'm sure many of us will be interested.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
UNAP's

...I have seen small medical centers in rural areas that I assume cover the population of a large area. Don't think they are manned full time. Suspect these centers are government financed...

Those UNAP health centers are normally staffed by a young doctor who just graduated from university. The government requires them to do one year of service in rural areas before they are allowed to set up their practice.
Foreign volunteers can also be found in some UNAP's as nurses.

With donations from Germany I support the work of the local UNAP, which caters for about 500 families in five surrounding villages.

m'frog

unap2kb5.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Guariquen, a community eco-tourism project in Las Galeras (Samana) has (or had) PC volunteers working there, and one of their many facets is the rural health clinic.
Are you in touch with the PC office in Santo Domingo? As a former volunteer I'm sure they'd be receptive to your requests for information and contacts.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For a long time a great book called "Donde no hay doctor" by Warner was my guide for just about anything that happened to my kids..

I would suggest that you get in touch with the staff at PUCMM in Santiago, since they have programs that deal with rural health issues. Also the people at ILAC in Licey al Medio run nearly continual programs of doctors and nurses in rural areas.

Your program sounds interesting and the comparison of Dominican rural populations to Native American populations in Alaska is going to stir some debate....Let's see where this goes...

Let me know if I can help you with contacts...

HB X-PCV-DR1-2 ('62)