"Category 6 Hurricane"?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I read in the most recent past DR1 newhound that Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace, one of the CTO's mucky-mucks, was bemoaning the recent US Congressional edict that requires US citizens to have a passport upon returning to the US by air after visiting certain countries, the DR being one of them. This goes into effect in Jaunary 2007 (I recall). It exempt those returning via land and ship until '08 or '09.

This bureaucrat said, in essence, it was a bad decision of cataclysmic proportion (my exagerated words), citing extreme economic hardships.

I'm struggling to understand his perspective, and why he is so upset. Perhaps someone better associated with the tourist industry can help me out in understanding this. There has to be more to it than I see.

A link:

Hardbeatnews: Caribbean and Caribbean-American news service, Caribbean, press release, news service, Caribbean media, Hardbeatnews, Hard beat news, West Indian media, Caribbean-American journalists, Caribbean newspapers, magazines, radio and televisi

Help me, por favor!

CB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The logic is that as a large percentage of US citizens do not own passports, it will reduce the number of US tourists visiting the Caribbean.

I agree that it doesn't quite make sense. It's not as if they choose the Caribbean as a destination for the sole reason that it saves them the huge effort and expense of getting a passport.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Soemthing doesn't add up. My gut tells me there is something else at work there, an underlining agenda...

canbird

Sep 18, 2006
Customs wants everyone to have a passport. They will become "standard" and soon you will need on for visting Canada and Mexico by land also.
The reason is that they "scan". Customs can simply Scan your passport and a picture of you pop's up on the screen with all your information including interpol etc.
Its just more efficient and makes it very easy to know who they are speaking to. Very often they cannot find you simply via your Drivers licence and Birth certificate on the software and Customs ends up letting people through on "looks" alone.
Get a passport. In a few years you will be stuck at home without one.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
In my estimation, the people who scream the loudest in this matter are the "bleeding heart Liberals" who have some vague notion that their "rights" are being stepped on. These are the people who always give the Customs and Immigration agents a hard time, demanding this and that for no reason at all.
They also are the ones who talk the loudest about the negative side of the coumtry they are visiting ( I should talk???) just because the service isn't to their liking or the food isn't flavored to their individual tastes.
They just ain't got no couth...

Texas Bill

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
my first visit

My first visit was on a whim and I had only three days notice. I did nto have apssport atthe time and I came based on only needing a BC and Phot ID. Maybe they are thinking most of the tourist are that way but I doubt it. Also if you owe back child support in the US or have a record youi can not get a passport. Who knows.
John

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Cobraboy,

The problem lies in the actions of our government and who those actions are being done for.

The passport requirement was implemented with a start date of 1 Jan 07. Everybody knew that the change was coming and everything was basically excepted. Due to people having booked New Year parties well in advance the US government but a one week extension on the passport implementation to allow people to get back home from partying out of country on 1 Jan 07.

Now the US government has given a 2 year extension to the passport requirement for those traveling by car, ship and by foot across our borders by not to those traveling across our borders by plane. They feel that if you are going to extend the requirement for parts of the modes of travel that you should include all modes of travel. This gives a feeling of favoritism being applied to those in the cruise lines in that they are now allowed a 2 year extension in a program that is to be applied across the board.

This help?

Rick

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
New(er) passports fully scannable will begin to be issued in late November. It's a security initiative per US Embassy and ICE. Flying outside the US will be considred 'foreign travel' no matter where you go or come from. Contest it with your vote, or your letters to Congress I suppose. The measure has already passed. Get a new passport (if you dare).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In my estimation, the people who scream the loudest in this matter are the "bleeding heart Liberals" who have some vague notion that their "rights" are being stepped on. These are the people who always give the Customs and Immigration agents a hard time, demanding this and that for no reason at all.
They also are the ones who talk the loudest about the negative side of the coumtry they are visiting ( I should talk???) just because the service isn't to their liking or the food isn't flavored to their individual tastes.
They just ain't got no couth...

Texas Bill

:rolleyes:

Were you aware that in that notorious hotbed of pinko commies, Europe, no-one thinks twice about getting a passport?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

Were you aware that in that notorious hotbed of pinko commies, Europe, no-one thinks twice about getting a passport?

And in that poor cousin of an excuse of a country down at the southern darkest point of Africa, even newborn babies get passports, and their 'commie' tendencies have not been confirmed yet. :laugh:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
But in the self sufficient good ol' US of A, this means I'll have to go and get a birth certificate, pay some money and WAIT, for God's Sake!! WAIT??? I can't wait. Me wait?? Oh come on honey we'll take a cruise this year and maybe next year we'll get a passport.....

It is plum laziness.....

HB

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The complaining still seems weird.

I know a LOT of folks who travel internationally for pleasure (I assume the vasy majority, upward of 90%, of those who travel on business have passports). I have yet to hear of one who would opt to take a cruise because they didn't have a passport. Cruisers and fly-to-the-destination crowds seem to be fairly mutually exclusive.

Sounds like a bunch of bleating to me. I'd suggest a "free passport reimbursement if you book a week with us" special for those resorts who feel their ox is being gored.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com

Chiri;

The statement was directed to those who must get a US passport, not to Europeans.
So, why your comment??
Having a passport is simply assuring that you are "legal" in all your travel needs/wants. It just makes good sense to have one.
If a person has something to hide, then that's a horse of a differerent color.

Texas Bill

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Having a passport is simply assuring that you are "legal" in all your travel needs/wants. It just makes good sense to have one.

Texas Bill
A US citizen/legal resident having a valid passport upon return does seem to be one method of assuring undesireables/illegals have a more difficult time re-entering the country. Passorts are much more difficult to fake than BC's or DL's.

My guess is that it is easier logistically to implement in airports first (because of the emphasis by the TSA over the last few years with human and baggage screening); the seaports and land borders are not yet set up enough for rigorous screening purposes. Bureaucracies move very slowly.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chiri;

The statement was directed to those who must get a US passport, not to Europeans.
So, why your comment??

Texas Bill
TB, it was the 'bleeding heart liberal' comment I was referring to. It may not have been what you meant, but I took it to mean that you were saying that the people who resisted getting passports in the US were of the pinko variety.

The gist of my reply was that reluctance to get a passport had nothing to do with one's politics. HB said it was laziness and I agree, and that trait cuts across the ideological spectrum, IMHO.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I've never understood what the big deal is. It's not like they are asking hungry homeless people to get a passport. If you can afford to get on a plane you should be able to afford ($87 for 5 year Canadian passport). That's about $17 a year.

I think a lot of businesses close to the border on both the Canadian and US side are worried that the weekender's crossing to shop will slow down. But in the overall picture I think it's for a the best and people will get used to it.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It will have a short term impact on our tourism here. Last minute specials may go unfilled from the USA. Often times people don't think ahead or plan ahead. They just see a great special in the newspaper and it's oh we should go............ Now that won't happen as frequently until people get their passports in order. Well they won't be able to come here, instead how about Hawaii or Florida where they don't need one.....

Also it will effect Canadians flying thru the USA. They will have to have a passport as well.

I think most of the complaints I have heard are regarding the unfairness of this rule not being applied to all forms of transportation. Why not? Why an advantage to some forms and not others? The argument that airports are better set up - well all the more reason to implement where it is NOT set up. Seems they have a higher security risk.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
TB, it was the 'bleeding heart liberal' comment I was referring to. It may not have been what you meant, but I took it to mean that you were saying that the people who resisted getting passports in the US were of the pinko variety.

The gist of my reply was that reluctance to get a passport had nothing to do with one's politics. HB said it was laziness and I agree, and that trait cuts across the ideological spectrum, IMHO.

Chiri:

I must confess to being "down" on "pinkos and commies" but my post wasn't directed at that group. Rather, at the group of "whiners" so prevelent in the US when they don't get the response from government that they consider as part of their "right" to "care from birth to death", the definition of a "bleeding heart Liberal", in my estimation, since these people consistantly view the "right to life, liberty and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS" clause to be interpreted as "life, liberty and the RIGHT TO A HAPPY LIFE". And THAT, I object to most emphatically.
I also agree that the "reluctance to get a passport" has nothing to do with politics. It was not my intent to convey that thought or to infer that.

Texas Bill