Punta Cana Grand to Santo Domingo

mcedic

Oct 4, 2006
I will be going to Punta Cana Grand end of this week and would like to take a day trip to Santo Domingo. What is fastest and safest way (by bus)? I found the forum very helpfull, but have a problem to find any info how to do a trip from the hotel.
Thanks to all!

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
If is your first time in DR is not good Idea to go to Santo Domingo without a Guide, if you have come many times and knows how is outside it´s easy to get to Santo Domingo by Bus. The bus stop in Santo Domingo is near to Parque Enriquillo and Avenida Duarte (Be carefull there and open your eyes) from there you can go to the colonial zone by foot and Mercado Modelo that is in Avenida Mella near to La Sirena.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Mcedic,

Welcome to DR1, your friendly everything you ever wanted to know about the DR message board.

Your trip from PC to SD is cheapest if done by bus. Having said that then be aware that the trip will take about 3 hours to complete so you are talking about 6 hours travel time to and from and depending on what you plan to do in SD will dictate as to how much time you will have to accomplish your mission.

As Riravaga said be careful as to how much jewelry and such that you may wear as things like that plus cell phones have a tendency to cause a person to maybe try to take it from you. This is especially true as we get closer to Christmas. Those normal precautions that you would use in your own country.

Enjoy your trip with us here in our little part of paradise and if you get a chance how about writing up a trip report for us when you get back home. We would enjoy to hear how your trip went. We have a "Trip Report" forum for such reports.

Rick

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Direction: This was posted last year
Best set of consicse instructions I have seen.

HB

Direction for buses from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

This express departs every day from the Sitrabapu Terminal that is beside the New Politur Police Station in B?varo (Punta Cana), near the Friusa crossroads. The coach departs at 7:00 - 10:00 am and 2:00 - 4:00 pm daily. The one-way fare is RD$ 230. The ticket office to the left of the building behind the banca. Tickets are sold on a first come - first serve basis. Plan to arrive at the ticket office ?-? hour before departure to secure best chance of a seat. It is about a 3.5 - 4.0 hour trip from B?varo to Santo Domingo. The coach trip is comfortable and just as reasonably safe as in a taxi but cheaper.

There are two main stops in Santo Domingo - Parque Enriquillo in the middle of the downtown commercial district (advise not to arrive after dark ) and at the terminal at the corner of Juan S?nchez Ramirez and Ave. M?ximo G?mez near the Nacional Supermercado and just a short distance from the National Theater and the American Consulate

Note: People who desire to go to Las Americas airport from B?varo may request the bus driver to stop at the crossroads to the airport. There is a nearby taxi stand where you can obtain the 1-2 km ride to the terminal.

This was posted by PJU on 2 November ?05

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
great information on getting from PUJ to SD -thanks

would you have information on departure times from SD to Punta Cana? I am travelling this forthcoming weekend

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Buses here usually as a rule depart every hour on the hour or half hour. Also a lot of them depart every 30 minutes which is usually on the hour and half hour.

I don't remember the times for SD to PC but one of our other members might know so hang in there for a response.

If memory serves me correctly I think the last bus departs SD in the neighborhood of 7:00 pm but I could be wrong. If I am correct that would put you into PC around 11:00 pm.

Rick

jgordon

Jul 24, 2007
I will be staying in Bavaro/Punta Cana and would like to take a day trip to the cave Los Tres Ojos in Santo Domingo. How much would a taxi charge to take me for the day? Thank you.