Customs POP airport

ace

Apr 11, 2004
I'm bringing 2 dvd players my next trip into POP airport. I own a couple of condos and would like to leave them there. Will customs give me a hard time and want to tax me. I brought one in last year , the customs officer looked at it and I don't think he new what it was. I gave it away to a neighbor. I only paid $25.00 each.
Has anyone had a hard time with this.

thanks.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I think it depends on the flight and you.

Some flights seem to be targeted much more than others.

Some people seem to get hassled all the time while others never do.

I fly on a charter that is full of tourists with buses waiting to take us to resorts and I never see anybody being hassled by customs.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
yea definitely depends whos flying with you. they see all tourists and they dont bother. usually POP doesnt check much it STI that checks more on the way in because its mostly locals and they all bring stuff for their family and friends.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
Anything below US$200 should now be duty free. If they do give you a hard time, perhaps remind them of this.

can you elaborate more on this?

$250 on anything? electronics? gifts? clothes?
to whom? tourists? dr residents?
what are the restrictions?

thnx

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I came through in July with an external keyboard for my laptop. The customs officer in Puerto Plata tried shaking me down for money, but I argued and he let me go.

So,

1. It was Puerto Plata, and they checked.
2. Definitely under $200, and they tried to give me grief about it. He actually told me I could pay him instead of dealing with the agent in the side room.

I think it really depends mostly on how empty the customs officer's wallet happens to be.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
All you need to do is give the customs guy 100 Pesos or five dollars US and he won?t open your suitcase. Don?t put it in a box, as those they are required to check.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
All you need to do is give the customs guy 100 Pesos or five dollars US and he won?t open your suitcase. Don?t put it in a box, as those they are required to check.

That is exactly the point! I fail to see why customs inspectors think that they can "hold up" visitors for money in this way, and I refuse to be a part of bribing them.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That is exactly the point! I fail to see why customs inspectors think that they can "hold up" visitors for money in this way, and I refuse to be a part of bribing them.

Your point is well taken, however it is much easier and potentially less costly to do it the way I described. Besides, if I wanted to follow the strict rule of law I guess I would still be in the States.

I'm bringing 2 dvd players my next trip into POP airport. I own a couple of condos and would like to leave them there. Will customs give me a hard time and want to tax me. I brought one in last year , the customs officer looked at it and I don't think he new what it was. I gave it away to a neighbor. I only paid $25.00 each.
Has anyone had a hard time with this.

thanks.

If your bringing stuff in just hand the guy 5 or 10 dollars and tell him your in a hurry,they will not bother you anymore, We brought in a 27" TV in a bag with no problems.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
If your bringing stuff in just hand the guy 5 or 10 dollars and tell him your in a hurry,they will not bother you anymore, We brought in a 27" TV in a bag with no problems.

that must have been a flat panel 27" to be in a bag,, right?
you had a 27" as carry-on bag, i imagine.

in that case i agreed... 5-10 us$ would be good so that they don't bother you.