Any second-hand shops? / Open Markets

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
Are there any second-hand shops in the area of Sosua .... to.... Santiago? Same question for flea markets/open markets/ in that geographical area.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
market

second hand market in pop takes place on tuesdays, from early morning. you can get clothes (including winterwear for those brave enough to travel to cold countries), bags and shoes (including big brands like LV). occasionally you can get there furniture etc. the market is off calle los molinos, close to the vegetable mercado nuevo.
once every now and then there is a big sale of used furniture and home goodies in a small park close to tropical, but this does happen maybe few times a year.
it is advicable to go shopping with someone local, so you get a fair price.
i got nice vintage yellow LV for 70 pesos!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Then there are all the COMPRA VENTAS in Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete ....... You can get some reasonable bargains at these places but DO be careful which Compra Ventas you go to - many of them will have stolen goods taken from homes in the locality! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lots of second hand clothes stores operating out of people's homes in Puerto Plata & not just in the barrios - even upmarket areas like Bayardo have these, particularly those who operate as hair salons as well, like Salon Patrick.
The vendors in other parts of PP who make the weekly trip to Dajabon seem to have a good turnover of things like haute couture clothes and shoes, many brand new, Parisian name brands etc.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Vevy! There is an interesting second hand store in Puerto Plata that we regurlarly check out for bargains.... It is called DETOTO. It is located down in the port area, directly opposite the old sugar-train engine. We have gotten lots of excellent bargains in lots of different stuff including Decaf Coffee for 10 pesos a lb! They are open daily, & you can "bargain" on their prices. By the way, the Pulga in Puerto Plata on Tuesdays moves to Imbert (on the way to Santiago) the following day, & the prices are lower! Happy Hunting! Canadian Bob (Addicted to yard/tag sales...)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
deTOTO? hmmm indeed. canadian bob, advice me on the time you can visit this deTOTO place. do they have normal working hours or you have to get up at the crack of the dawn to buy something?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
They have normal hours but go when you have a bit of time. Sometimes it takes ages just to sort through all the stuff there, that's after you've climbed over the obstacles to get to it...........

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
deTOTO? hmmm indeed. canadian bob, advice me on the time you can visit this deTOTO place. do they have normal working hours or you have to get up at the crack of the dawn to buy something?

:laugh: :laugh:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
The store is open daily. Few people seem to go there, don't know why. Big variety of stuff, electrical, plumbing, misc.hardware, books, car parts, etc etc! Well worth a look. Canadian Bob.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Thanks dv8 & canandian bob, I have often wondered where those sort of places were. I knew there had to be some somewhere. I find all kinds of good things at flea markets( I have been looking for decaf coffee) So now I know where I can get some while I am there.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Tarrantino, I must share this true story. A few years ago, my wife & I organized a community yard sale in a field near the entrance to Costambar.
We put a lot of effort in putting price tags on everything. Despite the obvious price tags, the Dominicans (who came in swarms to buy) all asked what the price was of the article they were interested in buying.
It finally dawned on us....... they could not read...... What a sobering moment for us! Canadian Bob.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Hey Tarrantino, I must share this true story. A few years ago, my wife & I organized a community yard sale in a field near the entrance to Costambar.
We put a lot of effort in putting price tags on everything. Despite the obvious price tags, the Dominicans (who came in swarms to buy) all asked what the price was of the article they were interested in buying.
It finally dawned on us....... they could not read...... What a sobering moment for us! Canadian Bob.

Or was it the sign you had which said Toto @ 10 pesos..........?;) It has an anatomical meaning, canadian bob, not language publically used in polite society. Well someone had to spill the beans...........

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Canadian Bob, that would have been a sobering experience for anyone. I'm sure that you didn't mean to offend, I hope that in the end the outcome was successful.