importing vehicle as resident

CANUCK2

May 24, 2002
Hello everyone...well we finally are going to get our permanent residence this November....we have heard that bringing in a vehicle is now easier than before...I read the last thread I could find and it was from 2004...anyone know what the status is....I have a 2000 dodge cravan we have owned from new in vancouver canada....we have been living here most of the time so it has low mileage...we were thinking of driving across the states to miami and shipping it. The information bulletin says that it has to be 2000cc or less...what vehicle has a motor of only 2 litres??? that seems to eliminate a lot of vehicles from being brought in....also said only 6 cylinders...no 6 cyl will have 2 liters or very few....others have said that the one year ownership rule no longer applies...anything new on that....the vehicle is over 5 years old as well...will they allow it......I would prefer to fly to miami and buy a 2003 ford explorer for lets say 15000.dollars and bring it in...but we would not have ownereship for more than a short time and it would be more than 2000cc engine etc.....any expertise out there???....thanx Ken

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
once but well

one thing you have to know that as a resident you are allowed to bring your stuff here once only with a lowered tax. you can take only one container once, no matter how big, paying 40% of usual tax. therefore you can bring any car but remember to take along all the household goods you want to keep. that will save you lots of money...
my abugado says that almost everything you may bring here is taxed, including really stupid things, like books (that i wanted to bring).

CANUCK2

May 24, 2002
Dear Dvd....thanx For The Reply....yeah We Did That Once Already...we Had Applied For Temporary Residence In 1997 Then Went Back To Ship Our Stuff...it Would Take 3 Months To Arrive Or So From Vancouver ....to Puerto Plata...of Course You Know The Story , Complications With Application And Other Stuff The Residence Didnt Get Completed And We Were Faced With A 45 Foot Trailer Which Is A Lot Bigger Than A 40 Foot Container..anyways Because We Had So Much Room, We Put A Lot Of Useless Stuff In It, Old Garbage Really....like Some Old Used 2x4s, A Couple Of Old Plastic Chairs, Some Of Those Pressed Board Shelving Units Etc Etc....well The Shelving Units Fell Apart From The Movement In The Trip, The 2x4s They Measured Each One And Listed It...the Chairs Covered With Old Paint And Not Worth A Dollar Each...how High Are They How Wide Are They Etc....they Counted The Destroyed Shelving Units...we Had Some Of Those Fake Plastic Plants...well Along Comes An Insepctor An D He Says You Cant Import Plants To Our Country....i Show Him They Are Plastic...he Gets Red Faced And Looks Harder ....ahh He Says But The Stem Is Wooden...he Then Rips The Plastic Leaves Off And Throws The Wooden Stem Into The Ocean Outside The Door....all The While Helping Themselves To Anything That They Liked....with My Permission Of Course...oh This New Ream Of Paper You Have....you Would Like To Donate It Wouldnt You So That Everything Will Go Smoother In The Office...and These Rolls Of Toilet Paper....well We Have None Inour Washroom....and So Give Us Some Of Them Etc...we Had An Old Truck That We Put In 1982 Ford...and It Got Taxed At About 3500 Dollars Wasnt Even Worth A 1000. But Anyways It Can Be Brutal...w Eventually Paid Over 14000.00 American Dollars For A Pile Of Garbage....we Had A Shipping Company And A Customs Agent As Well......i Would Never Do It Again If It Was Like It Was 10 Years Ago...but Now There Have Been Some Improvements....we Have All The Furniture That We Really Need Here So It Is Just The Vehicle Opportunity That We Are Interested In....so It Is 40% Discount On Vehicles That Are Brought In With A Residency???? Any Restrictions On Luxury Or Not, Size ...big Or Small...v8 Motor Etc.....owned At Least On Year Or Not...?????

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Dear Canuck2,

Forgive me for asking such a trivial question, but what's the point in beginning each word with a capital letter? Makes it only so much harder to read your post.

As for importing a car to the DR - just forget about it. It is not worth the hassle and you're not likely to save a single peso thanks to the customs crooks in the DR. Do you seriosly think they've changed their corrupt ways since your previous experience? I for one don't.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ach, canuck, that is what i say, you can do it ONCE. looks like you have wasted this opportunity 10 years ago.
in this case listen to paulino - buy the car here. all american cars are reasonably priced and i can direct you to a good and reliable car dealer, actually i think lots of us in dr1 have their advice on that thing. i am sorry to dissapoint you...

CANUCK2

May 24, 2002
thank you dv8 for your info...to paulino...I did not put the caps on the first letter...the program did it...muchax gracias amigos

CANUCK2

May 24, 2002
thank you dv8 for your info...to paulino...I did not put the caps on the first letter...the program did it...muchax gracias amigos