Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Useful DR information

While watching CNN TV last night, a commercial came on about the DR, accompanied by a spectacular video of whales. It is dominicanrepublic.com
    I checked it out & it is quite comprehensive, including health,( with numerous tel. numbers of Hospitals, Doctors), golf,
    hotel/search, beaches, flora/fauna, law/legal, real estate, the economy, restaurants, baseball, art/culture. It is in English, Spanish, french, Italian, Portugese, German and Dutch.
    I believe it could be a useful reference for anyone interested in the DR. in addition of course to DR1, which is a splendid site. Canadian Bob

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

have you seen what they say about crime?

Due to political unrest and an unstable economy 7(not to mention high unemployment) there is, sad to say, a level of violence that underscores society here; in the last few years, unruly demonstrations and strikes have marred the island's equilibrium. Because of the hard economic conditions, great care should be taken with your valuables (from luggage to camera to purse) at all times. Crime is quite prevalent, and tourists are often conned into various compromising situations (big and small).

alas, not a scary description but an honest one!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey dv8! Apart from the honest remarks about crime (which apply to virtually all vacation destinations except Antarctica...) I found that the site provided positive and useful data for tourists not already familliar with the DR.
    Canadian Bob.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i liked it too, and of course crime thrives in all tourist destinations.
    i wonder whether they could possibly translate this page into more languages thou...
    would be happy to help them to put it in polish

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

cool thanks for the link!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post

Due to political unrest and an unstable economy 7(not to mention high unemployment) there is, sad to say, a level of violence that underscores society here; in the last few years, unruly demonstrations and strikes have marred the island's equilibrium. Because of the hard economic conditions, great care should be taken with your valuables (from luggage to camera to purse) at all times. Crime is quite prevalent, and tourists are often conned into various compromising situations (big and small).

The US State Department issued a consular information sheet with a similar message. Someone not familiar with the DR would have been scared to death after reading it. In my opinion it was way over the top.

Yes there is some crime, but a lot of good people and much beauty.

Dominican Republic

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Who said this, CNN report or web link dominicanrepublic.com????

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

the link says that. but then they add:

About a quarter of the population is employed in agriculture, and the further you go from the main city, the more simple and less harried will be the people you meet.

and i think that their crime report is really mild (and true) in comparison to info presented by usa government!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

the link says that. but then they add:

About a quarter of the population is employed in agriculture, and the further you go from the main city, the more simple and less harried will be the people you meet.

and i think that their crime report is really mild (and true) in comparison to info presented by usa government!
    Would you be so kind as to tell me the section about crime in the link. It seems I am a bit slow tonight.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default go there:

no problemo, on the left side of the screen you click on 'society'.
    and there you have all the info about crime. it is like 4 lines, no more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast