DSL problems. . . .any experts?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have given up on ever getting verizon to make my DSL work the way it should. I have been fighting with them since march. My velocity has been a fraction of what I was paying for.

It is now better but still not great. The crappy little speedstream modem apparently doesn't play well with other routers etc. I offered to buy a cisco from verizon but they never came through.

So. . . .does anyone here know of anyone that specializes in configuring a small network to work with verizon DSL?

I currently have the speedstream modem feeding a router/vonage device which then feeds my linksys wifi router. I can not get a straight answer from verizon on how they should be configured etc.

If I hard wire plug into the vonage router, I get close to the velocity I am paying for. . . 1.2 megabit but if I go wifi it drops significantly down to 300- 400k. . . .

The cisco router has 4 ports so I could have all this crap hooked up in paralllel rather than series.. . . . .I also will bring down a print server and network optimizer in a few weeks. The network optomizer reportedly optimizes for VOIP and streaming. . . . the two most important things in my case.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Have you tried to go into http://10.0.0.1/. There you wil get the set up wizard, and advanced set up for the speedstream modem. Don't know if it will help you though.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If I understand your problem, you are just lacking ports?
Why not have a hub or switch box and feed both the Vonage device and the Wifi router/access point direct by ethernet wires, without going in series to each other?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I think it is also that I basically have 3 routers each with their own IP scope and dhcp etc. I have tried to ask verizon if I can ste their modem to pass through or just use one of my routers as the modem.

The print server I will bring down has a 4 port switch built in as well.
I can try hooking up modem, optomizer, printe server and then feed the vonage and wifi from the switch on the print server. Plus I need to get them all in the same scope. . . . .

I'd rather just pay somebody!

If I understand your problem, you are just lacking ports?
Why not have a hub or switch box and feed both the Vonage device and the Wifi router/access point direct by ethernet wires, without going in series to each other?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think it is also that I basically have 3 routers each with their own IP scope and dhcp etc. I have tried to ask verizon if I can ste their modem to pass through or just use one of my routers as the modem.

I can try hooking up modem, optomizer, printe server and then feed the vonage and wifi from the switch on the print server. Plus I need to get them all in the same scope. . . . .

Where are you located?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

I understand about the DHCP server problem.
You can't have them all trying to serve up at the same time.
Can we get online together by chat or Skype and figure it out?