mosquitos?

Laurie-Ontario

Oct 10, 2006
I told you I'd think of more questions. Being that Samana is so lush,are mosquitos a problem and is it recommended to take some sort of anti-malarial med?

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
No (not much) . . . and No (but that's medical advice and you should check several sources).

Mar 27, 2006
Mosquitos are for real in the DR, just bring along some deet or other suitable repellent. It's kind of weird but my wife and I received more mosquito bites to our legs while we were dining outdoors than any other time and place. So... we now apply a repellent prior to going out in the evening. Problem solved.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Everytime I go to Samana I'm amazed how I'm never bit by mosquitos---in my experience, it's not a problem in this province--reason not known by me. Nonetheless you should bring repellent since some people have sweeter blood than others (mosquitos are attracted more to females than males, and even more attracted to people who eat lots of sweets, and even more attracted to pregnant women).

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Suckers

Mosquitos are all over the country, in Samaná as well.

They are most active ...

- after a rainy period;
- in moist places;
- windless areas;
- near rotting organic trash;
- at dusk;
- near ankles and legs;
- near you if they like your blood, smell....

bloodsankie3pj5.jpg

m'frog

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I always bring some repellant. I have never had a big problem...but i make sure to spray before going to bed...and keep the sprayer near...cuz there is nothing worse than them buzzing in your ear when you just are about ready to knock off.

I have also encountered the 'Jej?nes'. Is there some sorta lotion (like skin so soft?) you can wear at the beach to repell them?...or just the usual sprays.

The spraying before dinner sounds like excellent advise. Last year the power went out durring dinner (SUPRISE!)..and when the resaurants generator came on a whole S#*tload of skeeters and other flying things swarmed the place.

Sep 19, 2005
watch out for the neighborhood you sleep in!!!!!!!!!!

where bug repellent at the whore house for sure...ha ha ha ha

bob

Sep 19, 2005
be carefull which doors you open.....jrzyguy....

BUT....

to answer the question.....no....I never thought about mosquitos when i went.......but now luckily we live and learn

bob

Holiday Park

Dec 23, 2006
Just got back from Las Terrenas. Sprayed myself w/ Off Skintastic every night and still came away with a lot of bites. Bring some aloe to keep the itchyness to a minimum.