Long Beach...What has happened?

cjp

Dec 23, 2004
It's been about 18 months since being in the DR and I am told that Long Beach in PP has changed.
Are the couple of small bars on the corner gone? What about the night life...Cristals etc.
Regards,
cjp

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
This has been covered extensively. Do a search on Long Beach.

The condensed version:

All the bars etc are gone. THe only one left is Crytal! The beach is rebuilt and lots of people swim there. The rumor is that a hotel will be built on the property. Probably not true. There is a for sale sign onthe property now.

Its_where_I_Belong

Nov 5, 2005
EL Malec?n de Long Beach

Dear Readers,

I know for sure that there is big hotel projects. El malec?n de Puerto plata is changing for the good believe me. The Secretary of tourism wants to do a world Class Malec?n, in the style of Havana, Puerto Vallarta etc...

I thinks it's a very good Idea. I know that the small trailers are gone but hey believe it, it's for the good!

AR

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I noticed you didn't mentioned the Malecon in Santo Domingo, which is at tragic polluted garbage dump.
Can't understand the President don't do anything about that, I think it's an embarrasment for the whole nation.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I noticed you didn't mentioned the Malecon in Santo Domingo, which is at tragic polluted garbage dump.
Can't understand the President don't do anything about that, I think it's an embarrasment for the whole nation.

I was completely surprised at how filthy some of the beach area is.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

Actually the Malecón in Santo Domingo is undergoing a facelift. The Ayuntamiento (Municipal Government) has cancelled the contracts of and evicted the vendors east of the obelisk and across from Pizzarelli, la Guibia plaza across from and east of the end of Maximo Gómez and the area across from the end of the Lincoln.

The temporary structures near the obelisk were hauled off on AMET flatbed trucks. One of the structures at la Guibia has been dismantled the others have been stripped.

The structures across from the end of Lincoln have been dismantled.

I don't know what the plans are but it looks like they are getting ready for renovation. The ADN (Ayuntamiento Distrito Nacional) has placed "Area Intervenida" signs. (for a photo see the Chiri Chronicles http://www.dr1.com/blogs/?u=Chiri&page=2)

I've always thought the little beaches along the Malecón have tremendous potential. However every time the Ayuntamiento cleans them up they fill up with trash from the Ozama River within days. Another question is how much raw sewage flows out of the river? The current flows west to east so if raw sewage is a factor it would definitely affect those beaches. Might be a project for the Green Team (or the Brown Team :tired: ) to look into.

Last edited:

scsccs34

Apr 24, 2006
the ozama river is full of s*it, is a big sewer facing directly to malecon, 1000000 million people trash going to the sea each day.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
the Ozama river reminds me of the Chicago river of yesteryear I just learned about in my Enviro class. ..it got so bad they had to switch (reverse) the direction it flows!

Last edited: