Taxi's vs. Buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashtonsmkr

Oct 13, 2006
I am traveling to POP in November and am curious about the pros and cons of Taxi rides vs. Bus rides to place like Santiago and Santo Domingo?

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
As of Feb this year a bus (both Metro and caribe) was under $3US one way to and from Santiago. RT in a taxi will set you back about $70US. Cons? My spainish would be considered limited and had no problems. Very comfortable and IMHO the best way to go.

May 12, 2005
From POP to Santiago? Definitely take the bus. I used Caribe Tours from Sosua to Santiago last week. Only $100 RD. Very clean and comfortable ride.

Gregory8

Oct 15, 2006
I'm curious, how long is the bus trip? Are there any stops on the way? Does the bus have a washroom? By the way, Ashtonsmkr I'm also going to POP in Nov & was planning the exact same trip. Interested in a travelling buddy?

May 12, 2005
It was about an hour and a half. The bus stopped in POP and maybe one other place. I beleive there was a bathroom on the bus, but I didn't need to use it, so I can't say for sure.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Ashtonsmkr,

Welcome to DR1, the usually friendly 'everything you ever wanted to know about the DR' board.

The bus from PP to SD is about a 5 hour trip and is done in a very comfortable and A/C vehicle. The price is about US$7.60. The ride in a taxi would therefore be considerably quicker as it is a car or van and doesn't have to make the 2 stops on the way that the bus makes. The problem with the taxi is the price involved will be about 15 times more expensive. This would hold true for the trip from PP to Santiago.

Also with the bus you will have to pay the taxi fare, RD$120 'US$3.80', for transportation from the bus station to your final destination in SD or Santiago.

That is your basic pro's and con's to the two modes of transportation. May I add that with a taxi there is always the possibility that the A/C might be on the blink or not available whereas the bus will have an operational A/C.

Rick

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Metro bus from Santiago to Santo Domingo is now 240 pesos. I imagine that 340 would be ther fare from POP.

If time is flexible, the bus is the wayto go....

HB

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Not sure about the washroom but I don't think so as I don't remember seeing one or anyone getting up during the trip.

As to drinking everytime I have use the bus there was always someone with rum or beer in a bag till that sat down then they would drink it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, fer crissakes, these are big luxury buses, not some third world converted school bus!! Take a light jacket cause they put the A/c to freezing.

You can watch cool movies...
or drink yourself stoopit, if you want. Strictly BYO..

HB

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
If you have the time and timing.. buses are far cheaper, more luxurious, more relaxing and safer than a taxi.. taxis are only an option if time/flexibility of travel is really an issue and then only to some extent..

Enjoy the bus ride, bring a sweater..

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, they have a bathroom with a toilet. But like so many public bathrooms in the DR, no toilet paper or water to wash your hands. Do like I do and carry your own paper. On the trip to Santo Domingo, the bus stops for about 15 minutes in Santiago, where you can get sometning to eat and use the bathroom in the terminal.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Or bring a cork??

The Caribe Tour bus stops twice: Once in the area called Las Colinas and once (briefer) in the area known as Los jardines.The metro stops in Los jardines only.

HB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They sell several models of the latest Colostomy Bags at any Playero or Supermercado Nacional in the Health and Beauty aisles. Just be sure to leave enough room if your a heavy drinker, overflow can be embarrassing on a bus.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tst, be serious!
there is a toilet on board, albait on my bus the door would not lock or even close, kinda difficult to do your thing, hold the door, wipe your a** and all with the grace and skill that does not allow others to watch your shiny buttocks....
price of metro from pp to sd 290 pesos. big shopping malls next door to metro.
and - take a jacket, it fricking cold thanx to ac!
i would not dare to take a taxi, nodoby takes a cage with 10 live chickens on a bus...
take taxi only when you want an adventure with poultry and like to sweat (no aircon)
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.