Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The criminality increase around Puerto Plata ?

For a few months, I have the feeling that the criminality increase in the Puerto Plata area (including Sosua and Cabarete).

Is-it just because people post more often on the forum than before ?

I would like to know what are thinking the people who are living in this area for a long time. Do you feel less safe than you did ? Did you change things in your way of life to avoid troubles ? Do you plan to leave the country ?

I'm a bit worry, because in january/february I will come to live in Sosua, with my wife and daughter...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much different than when you asked back in January.
    http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/471...tml#post365345
    The expats were then, and still are targets of crime, some very violent crimes. You have to make a decision as to what your acceptable level of risk taking is, and are you prepared to assume those risks for your wife and child. Personal security measures are a deterrent but not foolproof. I live here and willingly assume the risks for myself, but would be hesitant to expose my family to the same risks.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in Cabarete for almost 2 years now. What really scares me is the violence back home in Holland. People get a gun on there head for a mobile phone, get robbed in the bus while the bus is full. Al kinds of strainge things.
    Here I know there is a risk so I am prepaired. Cant say the same from my family in Holland.

If your worried, read your local newspaper and pay attention to the little stories about robberies. You would be surprised how much you filter out after the years just because you cant be bothered anymore.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Diego200,

Having a few years under my belt and having lived here for the last 10 of those years I can admit that crime has increased here. It must also be noted that with every place that I have lived I have noticed an increase in crime as time passes.

As crime increases it is inevitable that more foreigners, tourists, will be victims as they are a part of the makeup of this country. At the same time that these crimes against foreigners occur the media will in a sense sensationalize their reporting on these specific crimes due to the fact that they are not an everyday occurrence like the crimes that get perpetrated against Dominicans day in and day out.

I have been very fortunate in the fact that I haven't been a victim of a crime here but at the same time I always use the same precautions here to ward off crime that I would and did use in every place that I have lived including the USA.

Use the senses you have been taught and don't let your guard down just because you are in a different and new country and you should be okay. I honestly don't believe you will be more secepitible to crime here then you are where you presently are.

Rick

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

What about the college girl who was just killed in a small town in Vermont? She travelled to many places in the world,never having any problems. Then, she goes back to college and randomly gets murdered.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favor and tune out of the TV before going on a trip.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tip of an Iceberg?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Snyder View Post
    ....At the same time that these crimes against foreigners occur the media will in a sense sensationalize their reporting on these specific crimes due to the fact that they are not an everyday occurrence like the crimes that get perpetrated against Dominicans day in and day out.
    The opposite is the case.

Many crimes against foreigners and tourists are not reported at all, because...
    - the press in this country is not as free as one may believe it is;
    - incidents in far off places (where, however, tourism is found) do not reach the news, because the media do not have staff there and the authorities tend to present a 'todo abajo control' picture;
    - petty crime is underestimated because the police would not even accept a 'denuncio';
    - crimes in which police officers take part are covered up.

m'frog

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Snyder View Post
    . I honestly don't believe you will be more susceptible to crime here then you are where you presently are.

Rick
    I doubt that. Ask a group of middle-aged suburbanites in the US if they have been victims of crime and I am sure only a few will respond in the affirmative. Ask a group of longterm expats here in the DR, and I believe the majority have been a victim of at least petty crime, and some even worse.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    I live in Cabarete for almost 2 years now. What really scares me is the violence back home in Holland. People get a gun on there head for a mobile phone, get robbed in the bus while the bus is full. Al kinds of strainge things.
    Here I know there is a risk so I am prepaired. Cant say the same from my family in Holland.

If your worried, read your local newspaper and pay attention to the little stories about robberies. You would be surprised how much you filter out after the years just because you cant be bothered anymore.
    Holland? That's a shocker! I thought Holland had next to nothing crime. I never imagined that situation there, and I am not being sarcastic.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is looking for an arguement from me you are wasting your time as this isn't one of the debating threads.

The OP asked for some information and I offered my opinion and what I interpret the situation to be.

When you use a quote by me and you address said quote without using the name of the OP then I assume you are talking to me. If I am wrong in my assumption then I apologize beforehand.

I do however stand behind those things I have stated and as they are my opinions and I will not debate them.

Rick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast