Anyone here cook with a meat smoker?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I was wondering what wood is available for this type cooking? Haven't noticed anything out there but haven't focused on trying to find it til now.

Also, a homemade marinate....any ideas?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Also....anyone can tell me where I can purchase a 55 gallon metal drum new or used. If used then contained a non-chemical item.????????????

I wish to build a smoker/bbq grill. Thank you.

I live in Santiago.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I just read that the wood of the almond tree is excellent for smoking meat and it is very plentiful in the DR.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Also....anyone can tell me where I can purchase a 55 gallon metal drum new or used. If used then contained a non-chemical item.????????????

I wish to build a smoker/bbq grill. Thank you.

I live in Santiago.

Snuffy:

I have one you can have if you come by and pick it up.
It is already split and hinged with holes in the bottom.

To those of you who have never used "Mesquite" wood for smoking, cooking, it gives the meat a very nice flavor andit is 'hard wood". There is an over-abundance of this wood in the DR, expecially in the North-East around Monte Cristi. Give it a try, you'll like it. Also makes Excellent charchol.

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
cORRECTION TO ABOVE POST;

NORTH-EAST SHOULD BE NORTH-wEST.

Old age getting to me, finally. Can't keep my directions straight.

Altzheimer's anyone???

Texas Bill

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Bill, that would be a bonus. You will be my first rib tester. Mesquite wood...do I need to go all the way to Monte Cristi for the wood or can it be purchased here? Anyway, I will give you a call. Thanks.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Bill, that would be a bonus. You will be my first rib tester. Mesquite wood...do I need to go all the way to Monte Cristi for the wood or can it be purchased here? Anyway, I will give you a call. Thanks.

Snuffy;

If you know what a Mesquite tree looks like, you can cut your own (or have it done), let the wood dry thoroughly before using.
I don't know the local name for "Mesquite", however.
Look forward to seeing you again.
Texas Bill

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Tom,
Great recipes on that site. We are brining our smoker in our container this spring.

Bob K

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
cORRECTION TO ABOVE POST;

NORTH-EAST SHOULD BE NORTH-wEST.

Old age getting to me, finally. Can't keep my directions straight.

Altzheimer's anyone???

Texas Bill

Look on the bright side; as it advances you can make new friends every day and you can hide your own Easter eggs. ;)

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Tom,
Great recipes on that site. We are brining our smoker in our container this spring.

Bob K
Cool. If you need a taste tester for new recipes, we'll be available. I loooooove good BBQ. Not easy to come by in the DR.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
What kind of meat do you want to...

marinade? Here is a simple one I use for wild game ( deer, especially as it has a real pronounced gamey taste) I think this would only work on red meat though.
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup soya sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. gingre
1/2 tsp. garlic powder ( or more if you like garlic)
1/4 tsp. pepper
Marinate for 2 hours or preferably overnight

Marlie

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Well here is the answer to my question. There is a place in Santiago where one can go on Thurs between 8 and 12. They will sell you a 55 gal drum for about 150RD. This is a place that manufactures oils. So the drum will not have stored chemicals. The exact name you can PM me should you desire a 55 gallon drum. One would then have the drum split in half, a stand made for it. The grill made for it and a few other items and you have a nice bbq. I will get my drum on Thursday and will know more then. Look forward to making some ribs for Hillbilly, Texas Bill, and others. One can buy pork ribs by the pound for 60RD. I will do 10 to 15 pounds at a time.

If anyone knows an exact location where I can get mesquite or almond wood. Let me know.

Thanks for marinade. I bought a rub for ribs. And I will slow cook these ribs. Should be very nice.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Well here is the answer to my question. There is a place in Santiago where one can go on Thurs between 8 and 12. They will sell you a 55 gal drum for about 150RD. This is a place that manufactures oils. So the drum will not have stored chemicals. The exact name you can PM me should you desire a 55 gallon drum. One would then have the drum split in half, a stand made for it. The grill made for it and a few other items and you have a nice bbq. I will get my drum on Thursday and will know more then. Look forward to making some ribs for Hillbilly, Texas Bill, and others. One can buy pork ribs by the pound for 60RD. I will do 10 to 15 pounds at a time.

If anyone knows an exact location where I can get mesquite or almond wood. Let me know.

Thanks for marinade. I bought a rub for ribs. And I will slow cook these ribs. Should be very nice.
I have a finca between Sosua and Cabarete that has almond trees. You are welcome to harvest some of my almond wood if you invite my wife and I over to sample your results. whadauthink?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Tom,
I may take you up on that offer as well in the spring when the smoker gets here.

Bob K

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
..... One would then have the drum split in half, a stand made for it. The grill made for it and a few other items and you have a nice bbq. I will get my drum on Thursday and will know more then. ...

Funny, we grew up with exactly these as barbecues ... They even became very fancy with a grill that you could lower if the coals were a little skimpy. What we did, was to have two (or three if there were Jewish or Halal Guests that needed their food separated) ... make only the coals in one and feed the other one with just the right level of hot coals to cook whatever is on it, to perfection. I still cannot prepare a barbecue if it is not cooked on a drum split in half. A barbecue simply does not work for me on anything else.... ;)

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Word on the street is that there is a guy in Villa Gonzalez that makes these and sells them. So we are going to check this out first.