Consulate Interview Worries/Fears

krs1

Oct 15, 2006
:bunny: Hello everyone i am a longtime reader first time posting, I am an american born citizen my wife is Dominican, we were married in Santo Domingo, I have returned to visit my wife and family several times now. We have an approved I130, notice of action, and 13 digit NVC number we are currently waiting for our interview date. My question is if i am not able to attend the interview with my wife does this prove unfavorable for my wife and I on granting her CR-1 visa?

Thank-You.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
People have said that it doesn't matter, but IMHO I would think it could only have a positive effect if the interviewer would see you and your wife together.

BTW, welcome to DR1.

Peripatetic

Sep 7, 2006
Visa to green card

After someone enters the US the first time with an immigrant visa they are mailed a residency card ("green card"). So an immigrant visa "becomes" a green card.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
After someone enters the US the first time with an immigrant visa they are mailed a residency card ("green card"). So an immigrant visa "becomes" a green card.

This is true only for the CR1 and IR1 visas, CR1 if you are married less than 2 years and IR1 over two years. An excellent way to go, and with the exception of the time it takes you to get married, there is NO difference in processing time, but alas, it still takes 20-24 months right now.

If you file the I-130 for the CR1/IR1, then you should also file an I-129F for the K3 as well, as that will shorten your wait a bit.

There is tons of misinformation out there on the process in the DR. The sad fact is there is NO quick way to do it. It will be a long process no matter which route you take.

-Tim

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
:bunny: Hello everyone i am a longtime reader first time posting, I am an american born citizen my wife is Dominican, we were married in Santo Domingo, I have returned to visit my wife and family several times now. We have an approved I130, notice of action, and 13 digit NVC number we are currently waiting for our interview date. My question is if i am not able to attend the interview with my wife does this prove unfavorable for my wife and I on granting her CR-1 visa?

Thank-You.

Although you are not "technically" required to be there, the Consulate says it is "highly suggested" that the American citizen be present. Read that "required" because if you don't go and you don't have a really really good reason, she WILL be denied. You can find more information and first hand accounts on my forum at Dominicans to the USA .

Why would you not want to be there anyway? Wouldn't this be one of the most important days in your life? After waiting more than two years you would leave everything to chance? I don't understand why people do this. Most of the "excuses" I have heard are pretty lame. Just do it.

-Tim