Rental Car Rates - Am I Missing Something?

David B.

Oct 5, 2006
Hello,

My travel books (Rough Guide and Lonely Planet) say renting a car in the Dominican Republic is very expensive. These forums seems to back that up. However, I just reserved a compact car from Budget for 8 days out of the Santiago airport and the total, with all taxes and fees, is just US$226 (this is a weekly rate plus one additional day). That's less than $30 a day, which I don't think is bad at all. Granted, the rates would have been much higher had I rented a 4x4, but my travel plans don't require one.

Question: Am I unaware of something that's going to significantly raise the cost of my car rental? Like am I going to be required to purchase expensive in-country insurance upon my arrival? Just wondering.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Does that include the "Airport Concesion Fee" and taxes? Also if you need Collision waiver, I believe it is $21.95/day. If you don't take the waiver, you will either have to post a large security or have proof that your credit card provides protection.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
It is expensive...........

........when comparing it to places like Orlando and Cancun. Within the last 6 months we've rented a compact car through Hertz in Orlando for $79.00 per week and in Cancun for $99.00 per week..........all taxes included....that was the total cost.............

Sep 19, 2005
How about the issue of vehicle availability?? I also hear it's not that rare to show up with your reservation confirmation and proof of payment and everything only to be told no cars are on the lot.

its real life......I go to the same people , and have rented at least a dozen times in the last year... and they LIKE ME!!...but what ever car i ask for ahead of time......I never get.. they promiss you the moon.. and maybe they will have your car.....reservation or not they go by the old saying

"a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush"

they will work it out with you LATER......

your price seems pretty cheap...but it is probably a 6 year old car first of all....and you are probably getting a sub compact....because guess what....they will be out of your car when you arrive....

those car rental places dont resemble the car rental places with the same names in america.......

I would certainly make sure your credit card will cover your insurance ..before you go....bring the phone number with you...I was told you have to call them with the car info after you rent it......

get used to the lies.....and plan....its not a bitter statement....it is just real life ..

good luck

bob

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
Best way to go is book with large company like hertz, avis, budget and alamo. At leasr they are consistant. The local companies are bogus and charge you for everthing.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Car Rental

Hello,

My travel books (Rough Guide and Lonely Planet) say renting a car in the Dominican Republic is very expensive. These forums seems to back that up. However, I just reserved a compact car from Budget for 8 days out of the Santiago airport and the total, with all taxes and fees, is just US$226 (this is a weekly rate plus one additional day). That's less than $30 a day, which I don't think is bad at all. Granted, the rates would have been much higher had I rented a 4x4, but my travel plans don't require one.

Question: Am I unaware of something that's going to significantly raise the cost of my car rental? Like am I going to be required to purchase expensive in-country insurance upon my arrival? Just wondering.

When I rented a car in POP from National in March 2006, it worked out to 30 bucks a day Canadian after taxes for a 2005 Chevy "Comfort" I think the name was. It was not the smallest, it had 5 seatbelts, 4 doors, auto and air. My credit card covered the insurance too. All 3 of my kids took turns driving it and they are 8 1/2, 11 and 12. It was hilarious and all caught on video too, they loved it! I was a bit cheaper to book it over the internet/phone rather than waiting til' you got to the airport to do it.
Driving in the POP area on a Friday night was pretty wild! My wife said she wouldn't do it.
Good luck!
Steve
Steve

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
I will rent a Nissan Sentra so it's a little bigger than the smallest car and it is going to cost me a grand Canadian all in for 29 days. Hey, if you have a 2005 or 2006 foor door auto/air/cd/5 seats and want to rent it to me for $600.00, just let me know!
Steve

David B.

Oct 5, 2006
How about the issue of vehicle availability?? I also hear it's not that rare to show up with your reservation confirmation and proof of payment and everything only to be told no cars are on the lot.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006

it's good to call 1-2 days prior to arrival to confirm your reservation
and to remind them of having the vehicle for you. I'm sure it can happen where they don't have your car but it's better to call ahead of time and
confirm your reservation. And like they've said here.. it's better to rent
from known compan, hertz, avis, alamo, national. I use alamo. For me they
have best rate in town. Go to their website and check it out. I usually rent
compact car; no need to rent jeeps, vans.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
make sure you bring 2 copies--a print out of your reservation, including the reservation number, the rate, and the size of vehicle you have reserved. One copy in case they can't find theirs- they will want a copy of it, so you can just give it to them... and one for you to keep while you have the car, and to verify your RD charges when you check back in (do the math before you get to the office to turn it back in...).

They pressure you a bit to take the CDW insurance, but I have a mastercard that covers accident insurance if I charge the rental to the card. Check your credit cards out for their insurance benefits before you decide which card to charge the rental to. (and then make sure you use that card, for the reservation and the check in deposit and the final charge out....)

Do not let them change the car for anything less then what you have reserved. I often reserve a compact car (generally a Kia Picanto), just knowing that they will not have one here at POP for me. I get a really nice Mitsubishi Lancer that would comfortably fit 4 adults with all their luggage. The Budget office here at POP is great.

David B.

Oct 5, 2006
Thanks for all the input.

My reservation is with Budget, so I hope to have no problem.

I rented from Budget in Costa Rica wisthout issue. I was pressured to get the extra insurance, but just firmly declined - knowing my credit card coverage was ample. One thing I was advised to do in Costa Rica was to take note of every single blemish on the car before taking it. The typical scam was to charge you for as many dings and scratches upon your return, no matter how minor. The only real protection was to identify every spot as having been there before we took the car. My wife and I spent nearly half an hour writing things down on that little vehicle diagram, even the larger dead bug blotches. The Budget office guy eventually understood what we were doing and told us not to worry about it. I asked him to sign our list of imperfections anyway, and he did. Ten days later when we returned the vehicle the same guy was working, and he didn't even look at the car - he remembered us, checked us out, sent us on our way.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
you may also want to bring a copy of your passport / a copy of your credit card with you. I don't like for either of them to be out of my possession and they generally want to take copies of them for renting cars.
If you have copies of them with you, you can just give them a copy and be done without any worries (or the occasional waiting for them to find a copier that is working!!).