can we talk turkey

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
as in Thanksgiving turkey?????
is there a place in the capital that has a roast turkey with dressing is available for purchase, ready to slice & serve..... since my oven/horno MIGHT handle a pidgeon...
thanks

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I've never seen whole turkey precooked and stuffed ready for sale. Since turkey is very expensive in the DR your best bet would be to offer to bring the turkey to a friend's house and ask them to cohost a party where there is a large enough oven to cook the bird.

Or if you have a favorite place to eat where you are well known they might be willing to help you out.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Even If You Could Buy A "Cooked" Turkey Here....

you wouldn't want to eat it!! I have about 20 "Thanksgiving Turkey" stories from the DR! One for every year I have been here! Basically,Dominicans cook turkey,just like they cook chicken,"OVERDONE", and therefore "Dry-As-A-Bone"!!!!

You just have to try,"Mashed Potatoes with Brown Sugar"!... Dominican SWEET POTATOES!!!

Or a Smoked Turkey,baked at 400' for about 4 hours!! "MMMmmmmmm... "Toasty"!!!!

Eat A Roast Pork Leg,"THAT", they CAN cook!!!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Heck...I've never even been able to find a whole "uncooked" turkey to roast!
If I could I can guarantee you the BEST turkey you've ever had! Even if I couldn't find a dinner ham to stuff it along with home made dressing after the bird has been deboned!! (Yes I do bring poultry seasoning and sage with me each year in hopes I'll find a real turkey to stuff!!!)

(Are ya reading this Dave in Santiago???? Find me the goods and I'll cook it for you!!)

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Heck...I've never even been able to find a whole "uncooked" turkey to roast!
If I could I can guarantee you the BEST turkey you've ever had! Even if I couldn't find a dinner ham to stuff it along with home made dressing after the bird has been deboned!! (Yes I do bring poultry seasoning and sage with me each year in hopes I'll find a real turkey to stuff!!!)

(Are ya reading this Dave in Santiago???? Find me the goods and I'll cook it for you!!)

I'll be going Nov. 22nd.(the day before Thanksgiving) to Santo Domingo. If you want I'll see about the logistics of transporting a frozen turkey on a plane.
I'll ask in advance, of course, then let you know.
So if that's what you need I'll see if I can help.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Hey MommC,

The Nacional and La Cadena stores in the capital carry turkeys, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas. The Nacional in Bella Vista has them in the middle container of the aisle frozen food area back towards the deli.

Wish I could be there - you sound like you make a great turkey. I like to roast mine with orange slices between the skin and the meat and to use an orange and honey marinade.

Enjoy your holiday, although I thought you had your Thanksgiving a little earlier, eh?

G

gary short

Heck I'll be heading down about then......I don't know about turkey.......anyone interested in sockeye??????

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
Spirit airlines & turkeys

I had a response to a question to Spirit Ailines - CONFIRMING that if you put the frozen turkey in your CHECKED bag the turkey can fly with you BUT they would not accept responsibilty for said turkey - do they mean it would be stolen, thaw out, or ??????
anyway I have three friends flying from Tampa to celebrate Turkey day here and EACH will bring a 12-16 Lb. bird - better at 79 cents a pound than $3.50 per pound, eh????
Happy Thanksgiving ALL from the land of need & noise & way too much of both.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Being here in El Seybo, middle of nowhere, I go to La Romana each year and purchase my turkey at Jumbo. I always buy a "Butterball" of about 12 to 14 pounds and usually costs between 800 to 1000 pesos. Been doing that for about 6 years.

I have the availability to purchase a turkey live from one of the locals that raise and sell them but their prices are usually more then the butterball and don't come with a pop-up cooked indicator.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Supermercados National Has "USA" Frozen Turkeys At 49 Pesos a Pound !

They are "On Sale" now, and until 31 October,or until they all "Fly Away"!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Pricesmart

Pricesmart usualy has the Butterball turkeys and another brand for about 800-1000 pesos for a 10-12 lb gobbler!