Riu Bachata - health issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotta keep movin

Oct 18, 2006
I heard reports that the Riu facilities have had serious problems with food poisoning this year. This seems to be reflected in some attractive pricing right now, but we are a little reluctant to commit.

Does anybody know if the situation is under control?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I heard reports that the Riu facilities have had serious problems with food poisoning this year. This seems to be reflected in some attractive pricing right now, but we are a little reluctant to commit.

Does anybody know if the situation is under control?

The problems at the Riu complex were last year and there have been no significant issues since AFAIK. The cause was never pinpointed but food was not the likely issue based on the comments as I remember.

While there will always be travellers issues due to changes in habit and diet there are no extraordinary issues at present, to the best of my knowledge.

Gregg

NYWELSH

Sep 16, 2004
i have been to the complex 4 times this year in june the batcha was closed due to food problems i was ok though

Gregory8

Oct 15, 2006
I was there last year just before this "event". I was told it was an air borne virus. That was probably redirection of blame though. You have to remember where you are. Other countries may not be as vigilant on food inspections as your country. That said I'm sure the hotel got rid of whoever was to blame and is doing they're best to ensure guest safety. After all if it happens again I'm sure that they will loose a LOT of business, and they don't want that.
On the same subject people got sick and someone died from eating "fresh" spinnach in Washington state, USA last month.

You can't let this sort of thing bother you too much or you won't enjoy your vacation to it's fullest. Just eat carefully and sensibly and bring lots of immodium.

By the way I'm booked into the same resort next week and I'm not worried at all. And I eat off the resort as well. Often.

No Problemo!

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
I was there last year just before this "event". I was told it was an air borne virus. That was probably redirection of blame though. You have to remember where you are. Other countries may not be as vigilant on food inspections as your country.

I read with interest all the posts last season blaming the illness on food poisoning. At that time Sunquest was the sole Canadian tour operator offering the RIU chain and they weren't flying out of Atlantic Canada because it was too early in the season so most of their clients were from Quebec onward. During that same time period, there was a virus, with the same symptoms, running rampant through the schools and hospitals in Ontario. Considering all of these people flew down on the same flight, I personally think they got sick on the plane from their fellow passengers, co-workers etc. I am of the belief that we the tourist brought the virus to RIU Complex and gave it to other guests not anything that was the fault of the RIU. People don't practise proper hygiene and that is your first defense against these types of viruses.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I read with interest all the posts last season blaming the illness on food poisoning. At that time Sunquest was the sole Canadian tour operator offering the RIU chain and they weren't flying out of Atlantic Canada because it was too early in the season so most of their clients were from Quebec onward. During that same time period, there was a virus, with the same symptoms, running rampant through the schools and hospitals in Ontario. Considering all of these people flew down on the same flight, I personally think they got sick on the plane from their fellow passengers, co-workers etc. I am of the belief that we the tourist brought the virus to RIU Complex and gave it to other guests not anything that was the fault of the RIU. People don't practise proper hygiene and that is your first defense against these types of viruses.

I have heard this theory before and it has come validity. Its difficult for hotels to get rid of the virus (compared to cruise ships who have a whole new set of guests coming in every cruise) as guests and staff pass it to each other via hand contact or even possibly airborne and they all arrive and leave at different days.

emmab22

Nov 5, 2006
hi

I have just been back for a week from staying in the Riu Bachata and for the hole two weeks i was there i didnt hear anything about anybody having food poisning at all.

Gregory8

Oct 15, 2006
I'm here now. Nuts to the food poisoning. LONG Past issue and it wasn't food poisoning. The food her is fine. And most of the day was sunny today. Visited Luperon and Sosua. Tomorrow Santiago!!!!

Dawn W

Sep 3, 2006
I was there back in February with a friend of mine ( both from England), by the second week I wasn't taking any more chances with the food and just didn't bother eating anything - and I have a cast iron stomach. Can't complain though, came back a dress size smaller. By the state of the ladies toilets on some of the days, it looks like a lot of other people were suffering as well!!

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
I was there back in February with a friend of mine ( both from England), by the second week I wasn't taking any more chances with the food and just didn't bother eating anything - and I have a cast iron stomach. Can't complain though, came back a dress size smaller. By the state of the ladies toilets on some of the days, it looks like a lot of other people were suffering as well!!

When we were there in 2005, it was unbelievable how many people were sick and it's NOT from the food. Some expert was there claiming it was the water where its calm on the west side bay area. He claimed it was contaminated via sewage water mixing with it somehow.
I swear 90% of the hotel were sick both up and down if ya' get my drift. They were giving free return trips and you just have to pay your airfare if you complained about it.
Remember, you pay for 1 and play at all 3 with the Riu's, so WHY then was it only the Bachata that got so hammered with this mystery illness? 100% was NOT a food related issue.
Nice hotel, granite tables everywhere, nice pools and crappy beach. Amazing deals though because of this illness but, is it worth it?
Steve

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Considering all of these people flew down on the same flight, I personally think they got sick on the plane from their fellow passengers, co-workers etc. I am of the belief that we the tourist brought the virus to RIU Complex and gave it to other guests not anything that was the fault of the RIU. People don't practise proper hygiene and that is your first defense against these types of viruses.

Sorry but that explanation is full of holes.First off a plane full of tourists would be staying at various resorts not just the Riu resorts.
This virus was confined to the Riu resorts so it being an airborne virus does not hold water.

I Have heard that the Riu resorts import a lot of there food and other things like linens from other countries. I don't know how much of that is true but the words cheap and second grade are often used when those resorts come up in topics.

I don't think I would stay at any of those resorts even if I won the trip.
hifiman

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
Sorry but that explanation is full of holes.First off a plane full of tourists would be staying at various resorts not just the Riu resorts.
This virus was confined to the Riu resorts so it being an airborne virus does not hold water.

I Have heard that the Riu resorts import a lot of there food and other things like linens from other countries. I don't know how much of that is true but the words cheap and second grade are often used when those resorts come up in topics.

I don't think I would stay at any of those resorts even if I won the trip.
hifiman

I didn't mean to imply that they all went to the RIU resorts, sorry if it came across that way. The point I was making is that all it takes is one person sitting beside you with a virus, especially an airborne one, to infect you. I was referring to the fact that the plane could be full of germs being passed on to other people. It wasn't just the RIU resorts that were hit that winter, the Breezes also had a lot of the same complaints. At the same time that virus was going through the resorts, my friend in Ontario had the same thing and had to postpone her trip due to the illness. Had she chosen to go ahead and travel, she could easily have infected you and many others on the flight down.

Status
Not open for further replies.