Best hotel Juan Dolio area.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Most are AI. Of the big ones Colonial Tropical (40 suites pool but not directly onthe beach, but you have access to Capella beach over the road) is the best, and you can choose your meal plan. The others not AI tend to be small and much cheaper and in old Juan Dolio and you use the public beach.

Itsu

Sep 16, 2004
Muchas gracias por tu respuesta, Matilda.
I've seen the "Embassy Suites Hotel at Los Marlins". It looks quite good and I think it's not AI (or you have the option). The thing is they are not on the beach too but I've seen in their web page they have a "beach club with suttle". Do you know how is this beach club?
I've seen the Colonial Tropical, I want a small hotel so I like it but the beach of the Capella does not look too good in the pictures, how is it?
Gracias por anticipado.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Embassy suites is lovely. It is in the metro Country club complex on the other side of the motorway from Juan Dolio. You would need a taxi to go anywherre including the beach but they may have shuttle service to beach. I assume their beach club is some apartments on the beach - wouldn't call it a club. It used to be a hotel but is now apartments so don't think it would ahve much for you on the beach. The beach at capella is fine - the same as at the metro apts. If youwant not all inclusive becasue you want to go out and about then you woould be better at Colonial Tropical, but if you want higher quality, fierce aircon (!!) and are happy to sit around pool and eat in hotel then better at embassy suites. Alternative would be an apartment hotel - Plaza Real in the middle of Juan Dolio.

Itsu

Sep 16, 2004
Yes, that is what I want to do, going out to know the island. I'm going to rent a car.
So, you say I can stay at the Colonial Tropical without the AI program?

Is Plaza Real better than Playa Esmeralda hotel?
I emailed Playa Esmeralda twice but they don't answer me, same to Embassy Suites...
Thank you very much for your help.

tomis1

Oct 18, 2006
I agree with Matilda. If you are going to rent a car you can easily stay at Embassy (for the price it was great) and if you desire go to Auro for the beach.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Plaza real I would say is better than Esmeralda. 1 bed apt plus pool, air con TV and maid service right in the middle of town around 38us$ a night. 2 restaurants if you want to use them. Car hire place just down the road (do be very careful if you hire a car though please). I think Plaza Real have a web site but a bit out of date.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gotta agree with Matilda.....Plaza Real is the way to go!
Unless you just want a good room with air, mini-kitchen, private bath (showers only).
Then you can check out the ones above Plaza Perla 1.
Friends stayed there last winter and were quite happy.
Overlooks the public beach in old Juan Dolio and priced about $25.00 US per day.
PM me if you want a phone number (Spanish or Italian speaking only). Otherwise you can just wait til you get there as long as it isn't Samana Santa they usually have rooms available!

Itsu

Sep 16, 2004
Thank you very much for your answers.
I'll PM you, MommC.
No problem with the language, I'm Spanish. :classic:

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com