Australia - Jobs for Dominicans!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The Migration to Australia International Network

Invites you to the Official Company Launch and Reveal.
"Head to Queensland, Australia, there has never been a better time"
Place: Presidential Suite, Hotel Clarion Santo Domingo
Date: Friday 20th October, 2006 Time: 6:00 p.m.

invitation.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Huh! A Dominican friend who has relatives in Oz tried to get a visa from their Washington Embassy, and they lost his passport!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Nope, it's serious.
They are looking for Dominicans to migrate to Australia and they do an ad in English. Who are they hoping to attract, British and North American expats? :)

BTW, is it difficult for a Dominican to get a visa to Australia?

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
If you are skilled and are between the categories they are looking for you are elegible to obtain the visa, but is better if you have previosly an labor contract. I have made some investigation about it, Oz is a great country where there are few levels of criminals in all aspect.

ah, Im Dominican, and the first thing that they ask for is if you speak english when you aplly for a work visa, if you dont, you dont have nothing to look for in Oz.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
If this is serious, what are those aussies thinking? They thought they would attract the best the DR has to offer by putting up a picture of a guy with dollar bills around his head? What's next, New York attracting Dominicans by advertising its streets are in fact actually paved with gold? Or is the Australian embassy trying to win the game 'who can get the longest queue at the visa office'?

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that this network (and its sister network) are purely private enterprises, processing paperwork for the eternally hopeful.

I know a guy who made quite a living "recruiting" in the DR for cruise ship jobs. The small application fees added up, I guess.

G

gary short

Hilarious........ It's definately a scam. A Dominican doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of immigrating to Australia.........for a small fee though they'll look into for you....mate

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
In Santo Domingo there are another company that helps Dominicans to emigrate to Canada, I found it on the net applyed they send me an e mail saying that I have a lot possibilites to emigrate for my university level, age, and english speaking, but Surprice jejejejeje when I contact the office they said you have to assist to a Seminary that cost you 45 Dollares.

I said ok. thanks, I dont know if they had helped people but I thought that is a fraud too, why they dont give all info and if acept the deal them you pay.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
I think this thing is true. Not too long ago, in one of my classes we were discussing Australia. Apparently there is a population decline occuring in Australia and the government is promoting immigration to the country for this reason. Now obviously they do want qualified people to be the ones that migrate, so speaking English is a must.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
Oh yeah read the following from wikipedia:

Migration program

To be accepted into Australia under the migration program a person must be a skilled migrant or sponsored by a family member who is "an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen aged 18 years or over who lives in Australia".[3] A third class covers special eligibility migrants which includes Australians returning to Australia that had to give up citizenship to live overseas. DIMA says that the migration program for 2004-05 has 120,000 places available for migrants, with a strong focus on attracting skilled people and people who agree to live in regional areas of Australia. 42,000 places were allocated to the family stream.

In April 13, 2005, Australia announced that it will take an extra 20,000 skilled migrants in 2005-06 to help meet labour force needs. Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone said that between 130,000 and 140,000 non-humanitarian migrants would be taken, with a skilled migrant component of 97,500.

Some in Australia have expressed concern that skilled migration is being used as a solution to the current shortage of skilled labour in Australia, as opposed to training Australian workers. During the 2006 budget "right of reply" on 12 May, 2006, Opposition Australian Labor Party leader Kim Beazley stated that under a Labor government, foreign apprentices would be banned from seeking work in Australia.[4]

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
To Whom It May Concern:

Please don't make the ignorant assumption that all Dominicans are motoconchistas, barmaids, or gardeners. Generalizations are, by default, incorrect and I must say that I fail to see the humor in denigrating and disregarding ALL Dominicans on account of the poor work ethic and/or lack of competence which we do unfortunately still encounter in many sectors of the Dominican socioeconomic milieu.

But, even if only a demographic minority, the DR does produce people who compete and succeed in the global economy. A substantial number of able engineers, physicians, pilots, information technology professionals, economists and others actually do practice their craft in Europe and Asian countries, and of course in the US and Canada. Their Dominican-acquired set of skills are easily transferable to more sophisticated economies, and even if some on this forum are unaware of this, there are highly qualified middle-class and upper middle-class Dominicans who are well educated, well spoken (sometimes in languages other than Spanish and English) as well as world-savvy and hard-working.

The funny and interesting fact is that Australia apparently recognizes this, and is making a smart effort to recruit beyond their more traditional sources for skilled migrants in the Brish Isles or mainland Europe. They now seek Asians and people from other continents. Europe is doing this too.

To llustrate the case in point; I have a close relative with a Dominican engineering degree with such unique high-tech skills that he has been a project manager in such European countries as Sweden, Belgium, Spain and Denmark. He also has offers for China and Japan,with the luxury to reject them. He is currently in charge of supervising and training European technicians. Yup, the Dominican kid tells the Euros what to do and how to do it. The Europeans opened their doors after the long delays by the US gov't (with its increasingly incoherent immigration policies) in extending his work permit even though several companies are eagerly trying to get him.

I can see why some might find this international labor recruitment campaign as misguided by targeting the DR (better known for masses of uninstructed people), but the 'Roos are smartly casting a wider net and hoping that it pays off.

- Tordok

:classic:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
To Whom It May Concern:

Please don't make the ignorant assumption that all Dominicans are motoconchistas, barmaids, or gardeners. Generalizations are, by default, incorrect and I must say that I fail to see the humor in denigrating and disregarding ALL Dominicans on account of the poor work ethic and/or lack of competence which we do unfortunately still encounter in many sectors of the Dominican socioeconomic milieu.

But, even if only a demographic minority, the DR does produce people who compete and succeed in the global economy.

- Tordok :classic:

Well said! Such ignorant assumptions are made because the only exposure some people have is to those in these 'categories'. They should get out more............;)

Mind you, there are some pretty bright barmaids and gardeners, too, who, unfortunately for them, don't have the opportunities to make the most of their talents.
BTW Australian Federal Police are below recruiting targets.............
AFP below recruiting targets, says Keelty. 17/10/2006. ABC News Online

Last edited:

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Firsthand info...

I've just returned from Australia(Sydney) after attending my daughter's wedding there last Sunday. The mining industry will need 70,000 additional workers by 2010 and is actively trying to get farmers to work the mines until the rains come again. Parts of the continent are in the midst of a 10 year drought and many farmers are going under(no pun intended).