gay community

beasley

Oct 6, 2006
What are your views on the gay scene in the Cabarete area? I'm going to be in DR next month for the first time...I'm looking forward to visiting this area.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
What do you mean by views? Yes there is a "gay scene" in Cabarate. Is it your LA, NY scene? I don't think so. I've been to Cabarete many times and don't see that many gay people. When I do see them I see them going about their own business. Nobody really cares.

beasley

Oct 6, 2006
I was just looking for opinions of other travellers (gay or straight) who have been in the area.
I know peoples opinions are different when it comes to entertainment, dating, etc. Actually, I prefer a more laid back scene and, overall...and just like mixing with cool people when I'm travelling alone.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I was just looking for opinions of other travellers (gay or straight) who have been in the area.
I know peoples opinions are different when it comes to entertainment, dating, etc. Actually, I prefer a more laid back scene and, overall...and just like mixing with cool people when I'm travelling alone.

My partner and I have lived here for around 3 months and until I read this post didn't know there was a gay bar in Cabarete.

does that tell you how low key it is?

beasley

Oct 6, 2006
I made a reservation at Arcos. The owner has been very helpful with travel info, etc.

I'm looking forward to some sun in a few weeks...Chicago is getting cold too early this year.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
It really all depends on what you mean by "scene"

Are you traveling with a partner and just want some place where you will feel comfortable? Or are you looking for hook-ups?

If you are just looking to chill....you should have no problem. If you are looking to meet up with guys to have sex with...then you should go to the typical places...sosua in the north, boca chica and santo domingo in the south.

There really is no gay "scene" as there is here in the states. But there are plenty of guys to meet (for a first time traveler tho...usualy it means $$)....and there are plenty of "friendly" hotels for the discrete traveler.

What i have found in many latino cultures....while there might not be an official "scene" there are many men who, while not openly gay, are more than comfortable being in the company with other men.