Visas for UK

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have just found out that I have managed to get Visas for my husband and 2 dominican stepkids to go to UK for Xmas. if anyone is trying for UK visas let me know and I'll let you know what we did.

matilda

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I have just found out that I have managed to get Visas for my husband and 2 dominican stepkids to go to UK for Xmas. if anyone is trying for UK visas let me know and I'll let you know what we did.

matilda

Congratulations Matilda, I hope you have a great Xmas. How long did the whole process take? It seems from info from a few people here that the easier country in the EU to get visas for is Germany. Did you have to provide a lot of gumph?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Had to provide a lot of gumph! 3rd time my husband has had visa - first two times we weren't married, but 1st time for kids. 1st time he had to have interview and now it only takes 72hrs after you put papers in. Gumph includes bank statements from him, and me. Work details for both. Copies of passports, birth certs, marriage certs. Copies of all titulars house and business. Letter of invitation from my mum....etc etc. But it will all be worth it to be snuggled up under a duvet and have apiece of her Xmas cake!!!

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Had to provide a lot of gumph! 3rd time my husband has had visa - first two times we weren't married, but 1st time for kids. 1st time he had to have interview and now it only takes 72hrs after you put papers in. Gumph includes bank statements from him, and me. Work details for both. Copies of passports, birth certs, marriage certs. Copies of all titulars house and business. Letter of invitation from my mum....etc etc. But it will all be worth it to be snuggled up under a duvet and have apiece of her Xmas cake!!!

You're going to be eating Xmas cake under the duvet, hey girl I can think of better things to nibble. I hope you have a lovely Xmas. I miss English Xmases but not the cold!

Beachboy

Apr 29, 2018
visitors visa for UK

matilda

Hi Matilda
I too am planning a trip home to Peterborough Xmas 2019 for 2 weeks as my brother is also getting married on the 20th. I am British, both my common law spouse and her adult daughter are Dominican, the daughter is at University in Santiago.

My spouse did (after a refusal - not enough documents to satisfy she would leave) visit Canada August 2018 with me following a successful re-apply (I lived there 33 years) now retired here in Punta Cana.

I have called and emailed the Brit embassy in SD however did not get through or receive answers to our questions.

Such as when is the best time to apply for 6 month visas, do all documents have to be translated to English, do they need to be notarized. Did you have to show medical coverage, I do not wish to book flights until visa is approved.
I would really appreciate your trusted advice on your experience, I am so glad you are better from your terrible ordeal earlier.

Thanks in advance.
Graham

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think you should be fine Graham. I applied again last year for my husband and this time he was turned down as they said he would not return, even though we live here! The embassy has nothing to do with visas anymore, they are all done in Colombia and via the Visa Application Centre in Santo Domingo. You cannot apply more than 12 weeks before you go, and yes the main documents need to be in English via a legal translator. Not things like bank statements though and no need for medical coverage. They are really interested only if the applicant has travelled and returned during the last couple of years, so you should be fine. All of the information is clearly laid out on this site https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-come-to-the-uk. You have to apply on line, set up an appointment at the VAC in Santo Domingo online, and then take all the papers there when they scan them, take fingerprints and photos, passport and then you wait to get the passport back in the post with or without the visa. Good Luck

Matilda

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
.......But it will all be worth it to be snuggled up under a duvet and have apiece of her Xmas cake!!!
....... and .....roast turkey, roast potatoes , bread sauce , brussels sprouts and sausages wrapped in bacon....plus minced pies, yule log and Queen’s speech at 3pm ....Enjoy !

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
As you said you can not apply more than 12 weeks before you go, so how do you get a tourist visa now for Xmas, wouldn't it expire by then.... !? (I thought they are not valid that long...)

As far as I remember though, once you enter, you can stay for up to 6 months as a tourist... (note to DR immigration department ! lol)

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Congrat Matilda!!

As you said you can not apply more than 12 weeks before you go, so how do you get a tourist visa now for Xmas, wouldn't it expire by then.... !? (I thought they are not valid that long...)

If she is going for Xmas then she got multiple turist visa valid for some years.

As far as I remember though, once you enter, you can stay for up to 6 months as a tourist... (note to DR immigration department ! lol)

Right this is when you get short period visa, I was in Argentina in 2017 and they only gave me 6 months Multiple Visa, while I was there I was able to pass the border and visit Paraguay and re-enter to Argentina.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Yes, there are long term family visiting visa, there are 2 years, 5 years and 10 years multi-entry for direct family (parents, spouse or children), but that is different from the single entry tourist visa.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
...and someone just told me there is a new direct flight from POP to London...easier for you guys

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
...and someone just told me there is a new direct flight from POP to London...easier for you guys

Now that would be news, with the exception of expensive Thomson holiday charters, that run certain seasons only, I don't know any other, let us know....!? British Airways flies direct to PC from Gatwick though...

irishchick

Jul 1, 2019
You cannot apply more than 12 weeks before you go, and yes the main documents need to be in English via a legal translator. Not things like bank statements though and no need for medical coverage. They are really interested only if the applicant has travelled and returned during the last couple of years, so you should be fine. All of the information is clearly laid out on this site https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-come-to-the-uk. You have to apply on line, set up an appointment at the VAC in Santo Domingo online, and then take all the papers there when they scan them, take fingerprints and photos, passport and then you wait to get the passport back in the post with or without the visa. Good Luck

Matilda

Hi Matilda,

Congratulations on getting your visa! We are applying for my husband to come back with me for a few weeks while I do my residency papers for DR and to meet the family.

How long a trip did you apply for? I would like him to come for a month but would rather get it for a shorter time than not at all.

Did you have to get your marriage certificate and his birth certificate translated into English just for the visitors visa? What about other documents such as land purchase? If so do you know someone here who can do this? We are based in Cabarete.

Do they interview you at the appointment or is it only to scan all the papers and do biometrics?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Zara

Last edited by a moderator:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We received visitors visas for my husband three or four times but not the last time which was for last Christmas. We applied for a two week trip each time but the visa is valid for 6 months so in essence you can stay that long, but best not to ask for much longer than 2 or 3 weeks. Yes marriage cert and birth cert translated into English - the instructions on the website tell you which documents need translating, No interview at the appointment just scanning and biometrics. Title deeds were also translated. In Cabarete the best translator for you is Lic. Felix Mercado: Abogados y traductores legales con sede en Puerto Plata. Servicios de traducción en los siguientes idiomas: Español, Inglés, Francés, alemán, holandés e italiano. Tel.: 809-261-0291. Cell.: 809-360-6018.
https://www.facebook.com/fmercadotraducciones/

Matilda