Santo Domingo - The world's 126th most expensive city.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Last year it was 99th.

Mercer?s survey covers 144 cities across six continents and measures the comparative cost of over 200 items in each location, including housing, transport, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment. It is the world?s most comprehensive cost of living survey and is used to help multinational companies and governments determine compensation allowances for their expatriate employees.

Global/Worldwide Cost of Living Survey Rankings 2006, Cities, International, Europe, Asia, America, US, American, Americas, United States, Africa, Australia, USA, Asian, Canada, Expensive, Cheap, : Finfacts Ireland

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
The fact that you never heard of a place doesnt mean it doesnt excist. ;)
Same question counts for Asuncion. At least in my case.

johnny C

Sep 15, 2004
I Live in San Diego California - amazing San Diego is not on the list???? Must be lumped in with Los Angeles.

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
I am just surprised that Brussels is so low as everybody there is always crying because everything is very expensive!!!!
My parents pay more than I for a very small apartment 20 km South of Brussels and I rent a big villa in costambar with pool, garden, 5 bedrooms,...!!!!
Same for Paris! I don't understand.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
There are more important cities in USA, than White Plains in New York. I don't know what is the criteria they use in this list.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The fact that you never heard of a place doesnt mean it doesnt excist. ;)
Same question counts for Asuncion. At least in my case.

Well most cities on that list are either capitals of countries, important cities to their country, internationally recognized, or have over a few million inhabitants.

Its like putting Moca on that list, it does not make sense. Sorry if you're from there. :D

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
There are more important cities in USA, than White Plains in New York. I don't know what is the criteria they use in this list.

Maybe the company doing the research has its Headquarters or Offices there or in Morristown ...:glasses:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I wonder what NALs has to say about this survey which doesn't have the barrio of Greenwich, CT making the list?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
..this is a HR company, so the result if probably geared towards guiding multi-national companies/corporations on how to set their "compensation packages" for their international employees.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
You have got to be kidding. Brussels itself is not expensive but living in the suburds surrounding it is. Brussels City centre is populated with 50% arab immigrants and few of us belgians want to live there.
Bartolomeo

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I doubt if they are referring to Morristown, NJ. There probably aren't more than 20,000 people living in that town.

its either New Jersey or Minnesota. Those are the only places I see a Morristown and by looking at the demographics of MN I think its NJ.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I have never visited Morristown, NJ, but as I understand it there are many large comapnies headquartered around there so many executives live in the areas. The company I used to work for (AlliedSignal - Now HoneyWell) was headquatered there and I know for a fact the CEO and most of the top management team lived there. Trust me these guys don't live in shacks...

Same goes for White Plains (headquarter of IBM)

The biggest surprise I saw was that DOUALA, Cameroon is 22nd - Higher than San Francisco.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I have never visited Morristown, NJ, but as I understand it there are many large comapnies headquartered around there so many executives live in the areas. The company I used to work for (AlliedSignal - Now HoneyWell) was headquatered there and I know for a fact the CEO and most of the top management team lived there. Trust me these guys don't live in shacks...

Same goes for White Plains (headquarter of IBM)

The biggest surprise I saw was that DOUALA, Cameroon is 22nd - Higher than San Francisco.
Morristown also the headquarters for Bayer Consumer care division, the third largest producer of OTC drugs in the world. Consumer Care