866 telephone numbers

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
We have a consulting business in North America, and much of the communication with our clients is done via phone conference calls, generally using 866 numbers in North America (although occasionally involving participants from Europe). Does anyone know how this works from the DR ? Will we be able to connect from a number in the DR to these 866 numbers ?

Typically someone in the USA or Canada arranges the conference call, and issues an email advising participants the number to dial, and a "conference" number, or passcode, to be keyed once connected. In Canada and the USA, these 866 numbers are "toll free", for the phone-in participants.

If there is no "toll free" access from the DR, can anyone recommend a cell phone / calling card scenario that will be least costly. I will need to make a number of these calls weekly.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Look at VOIP ...

We have a consulting business in North America, and much of the communication with our clients is done via phone conference calls, generally using 866 numbers in North America (although occasionally involving participants from Europe). Does anyone know how this works from the DR ? Will we be able to connect from a number in the DR to these 866 numbers ?

Typically someone in the USA or Canada arranges the conference call, and issues an email advising participants the number to dial, and a "conference" number, or passcode, to be keyed once connected. In Canada and the USA, these 866 numbers are "toll free", for the phone-in participants.

If there is no "toll free" access from the DR, can anyone recommend a cell phone / calling card scenario that will be least costly. I will need to make a number of these calls weekly.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
The telco service provider (of the 1-866 - MCI, Verizon, ....et al) can verify whether overseas calls are toll free to the 1-800 number. If they're not, your best option would be to use VOIP from the DR - Skype, and others. Phone cards or calling cards may be more expensive. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
If you dial a 1-866- number from the DR you will be instructed to redial it with the 1-883- code and will be charged 10 pesos/minute.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
If you dial a 1-866- number from the DR you will be instructed to redial it with the 1-883- code and will be charged 10 pesos/minute.
That would be if you're using a land line from the DR, right? If using another "LEC", they'll route and connect your call to the terminating 1-800 number and won't need to replace 1-800/866 with 1-883.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
That would be if you're using a land line from the DR, right? If using another "LEC", they'll route and connect your call to the terminating 1-800 number and won't need to replace 1-800/866 with 1-883.

Yep, I was referring to land line calls.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Thanks for your help. What's an "LEC" ? I guess we still have a lot to learn. I'm going to contact someone at Genesys (or whoever hosts this stuff) and see what they know about 809. Seems to be different than International.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Thanks for your help. What's an "LEC" ? I guess we still have a lot to learn. I'm going to contact someone at Genesys (or whoever hosts this stuff) and see what they know about 809. Seems to be different than International.

Local Exchange Carrier ... the telco connecting you to their switch then to the international switch then ..... finally to the destination :)