Santiago ==> Samana 12/26 - 1/1 Advice?

jacobr

Oct 19, 2006
Have plane tix for two adults, two teenagers from US to Santiago. Arriving 12/26 and departing 1/1.

a) We'd like to go to Samana - but not sure where is best to stay. Mom wants "nice" .. dad wants "rustic" and kids want "Internet available." Sailboats and beach are a plus, but of course we don't need/want a big club med style resort with loud music and drunk Americans. Does anyone have a good suggestion for us? We'd love a small, friendly spot that's reasonably quiet - perhaps with villas? ...

b) I've read a lot here about how Dominicans don't like it when people from the US come down and try to drive there .. then others say it's just fine. Our thought is to rent a car in Santiago and drive to Samana. Then we have some mobility once we get there.

I drove about DR quite a bit ~20 years ago .. while living on a boat in Puerto Plata harbor (we'd escape every so often) and did just fine. I wouldn't pile 30 people in the car like a Publico .. but did ok in general.

So what's the (real) deal with transportation? Are we better off arranging a driver? Paying $$$ for a plane to Samana? (rather not, but .. ) Bus?

Thanks

- Jacob

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
drive...piece of cake. it's a little crazy...but if you are a good driver and do it in daylight (esp. first time)...should be no problem.

sh

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depends on your budget.
Want to spend money on day trips and having fun? Just a bit tight?
Start by getting a bus in Santiago for Samaná 680 pesos for the four of you!
See the countryside, enjoy your companions.

A little more comfort and style? Okay. Get in touch with Welcome To Paradise Transportation and have JJ drive yu out there for a reasonable fee. You get A/c transport, English speaking drieve with a wide knowledge of the area.

Money no object? Rent a car at the airport...its a 4 hour drive. There are direction in the DR1 Archives. Just do a search....easy.

HB

egeth

Oct 24, 2005
I am doing a similar trip in Jan. with two teenagers. I don't find driving in the DR that difficult and have arranged a car rental for $200 a wek thru budget although when I checked lately it was more expensive. We are going to Las Terrenas but decided to stop in Sosua for a night so we can have Ted make us an orange dream at night and Sonya bring us a great breakfast at Rocky's. I like renting a car because of the flexibility it gives you- like stopping at Playa Grande on the way to Las Terrenas. There we are staying at Playa Colibri which might not fit the rustic desire but I think is most comfortable for all. Once in Las Terrenas the need for a car is minimal but unless you work out the bus details I think the car rental is as cheap as the taxi back and forth.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that the OP might do well at "La Tambora" , which is sort of a hillside set of cabins just outside of Samaná. I do not know if they have internet access now. there is a very nice internet café in town called "Las Olas Internet Café"

If they go there, then a vehicle would be of interest since travel to Las Galeras, El Limon, Playa Rincon, and other sites would require a bit of travel..

HB