New traffic light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Anyone notice the new traffic light at the Texaco station in Sosuaa. It means now we are a three light town and one more light to ignore. Sometimes the lights can be more dangerous then just a plain intersection. When you have the green light you assume you can go. WRONG most of the motoconchos and taxis ignore the lights and go right on through the red. So remember green means go, yellow means go faster and red means go.

Bob K

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Shucks all this time I thought RED meant - stopping optional! LOL

In some cases stopping is very hazardous to your health. SOme of the lights in Puerto Plata you definately stop at and others - no way, stopping will get you in an accident possibly.....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
In some cases stopping is very hazardous to your health. SOme of the lights in Puerto Plata you definately stop at and others - no way, stopping will get you in an accident possibly.....

My first driving experience in the DR was several weeks ago and this was the first lesson I learned. My passenger, who is Dominican, laughed every time I stopped for a red light.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
minovio hardly ever bothers to stop at the red lights. i think that he considers two sets of lights in pop worth stopping your car for. when i complained he does not stop at lights close to casa colon he explained to me - "no, those light you don't have to stop at".
right....

Gregory8

Oct 15, 2006
This is why I don't drive in the DR!!!

I sit in the passenger seat with my cold Presidente Grande and howl with laughter!!!

On my first trip I rented a taxi with a guide and driver (didn't know better) and had them stop at a busy intersecton in Puerto Plata where I sat on a 2 foot wall and drank beer took photos and laughed until I had tears coming down over the traffic antics at this intersection! And it had a 8" ditch going diagonal through it for motorcycle amusement! Hell, one of the best couple of hours I spent the first couple of days. (It doesn't take much to amuse me).

I call driving down there "Dominican Suicide".

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
So now there is another traffic light that pedestrians (tourists namely) can wait and wait and wait and wait to cross the street lol

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I stop as an example of how it should work. They can honk all they want.
I ain't moving until the light turns green. Stop at red. Do what you want,
but, education and patience would be a nice virtue to instil here. Examples are what they need, not confirmation of their ignorance. OK, so slam me if you want. But b.s. walks and education talks IMHO.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
but, education and patience would be a nice virtue to instil here. Examples are what they need, not confirmation of their ignorance. OK, so slam me if you want. But b.s. walks and education talks IMHO.
I agree with you.

...unless I am in a rush and then I ignore the red lights. :)

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
When I was growing up in the UK I recall "L" plates (a big L -- red on white) on all vehicles being driven by a learner driver. Has anyone ever proposed a "T" Plate that would be prominently displayed front and back on all vehicles in the DR driven by tourists? Or would that simply invite too much attention and too many liberties?

By the way I'm considering driving a rental this next visit -- if it happens it'll be the first time since we first visited twenty years ago. I figure that sitting in the passenger seat for long enough -- some road wisdom must have rubbed off. But I don't think I'll ever drive at night.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
No

When I was growing up in the UK I recall "L" plates (a big L -- red on white) on all vehicles being driven by a learner driver. Has anyone ever proposed a "T" Plate that would be prominently displayed front and back on all vehicles in the DR driven by tourists? Or would that simply invite too much attention and too many liberties?

By the way I'm considering driving a rental this next visit -- if it happens it'll be the first time since we first visited twenty years ago. I figure that sitting in the passenger seat for long enough -- some road wisdom must have rubbed off. But I don't think I'll ever drive at night.

Why not just paint a target on the car? Florida used to have all rental cars plates start with a Z, this was scrapped due to tourists getting robbed, at lights etc!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
More to Come

Now there is a new light to main entrance to Charamico (not working yet), and
another is sked for Sosua abajo, another in Cangrejo. Maybe one at the airport entrance as well but a yellow blinker, like the one sked for area in front of the air force base where the kids swarm going to and from school. Palm plants and flamboyan trees also sked for the road from Cangrejo to Bella Vista road entrance. I guess it could be considered progress? Judgement reserved, chicken not hatched.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
a light at the entrance to POP airport spells instant trouble....people are driving in excess of 60 mph on that road !!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002

It is wonderful that you are so well educated and the rest of us are just uneducated idiots. At some interesections at certain times of day or days of the week - it is DANGEROUS to stop.

Us uneducated idiots who live here and drive here daily will pass on visiting you in the hospital after you have been rear ended by the people you are setting such a good example for!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Predictable

Its encouraging to know someone would illustrate my point. Thank you Planner !!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
high cotton

When I first saw the new lights I could not believe it. Aint we in high cotton now. Who says nothing changes here??? Its progress. Hope that income taxes are not soon to follow!!!! Too much progress makes me nervous. :paranoid:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It is wonderful that you are so well educated and the rest of us are just uneducated idiots. At some interesections at certain times of day or days of the week - it is DANGEROUS to stop.

Us uneducated idiots who live here and drive here daily will pass on visiting you in the hospital after you have been rear ended by the people you are setting such a good example for!

I have to agree with you on this one. My one and only time driving in the DR I stopped at a red light on the road adjacent to Las Americas Hwy and darn near got rear ended a couple of times. As much as I hated to I ran the red light. It is a weird feeling, but as the saying goes "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
have them

When I first saw the new lights I could not believe it. Aint we in high cotton now. Who says nothing changes here??? Its progress. Hope that income taxes are not soon to follow!!!! Too much progress makes me nervous. :paranoid:

Already got the income taxes!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Drove past the new light 4 times now and no one seems to be stopping. If anything it making the traffic worse as making a left turn onto DR Rosen while heading east is now almost impossible and has the traffic backed up to Playero many times. Ugh progress!!!!!!!!

Bob K

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I often find that traffic moves the best when the electricity is OUT! Then it just all flows.....

Status
Not open for further replies.