Isn`t La Roca overpriced?

B

batich

A friend of mine today complained that he was charged $780 RD in La Roca today for a very basic lunch ( pasta balonesa, clam chowder, vegetable soup and water). During daytime. Not dinner.

This means about $25 US.

Even in Manhattan this kind of meal would cost much less in lunch time!!!

Some people here in the Forum recommend La Roca as a not expensive good restaurante.
Is it really true??

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
All by the same guy?

A friend of mine today complained that he was charged $780 RD in La Roca today for a very basic lunch ( pasta balonesa, clam chowder, vegetable soup and water). During daytime. Not dinner.

This means about $25 US.

Some people here in the Forum recommend La Roca as a not expensive good restaurante.
Is it really true??

Did your friend eat these 3 dishes together by himself? Usually the pasta dish of bolgonese doesnt go too good with the clam or vegeatble soup and perhaps the waiter took your friend for a bit______ and charged him a little extra.(?)
JOHN

B

batich

he ordered pasta balonesa (the cheapest pasta on the menu), vegatable soup and water. he did not like vegetable soup and ordered also new england clam chowder. That was it. he paid with credit card and showed me receipt.

From my own past expereience with La Roca I knew that it was tourist trap but was not able to warn him against it.

How to get a resident price/menue? I never heard about it and all those two-three times when I was taken by the rain going from the beach and had to eat at La Roca I was hit with the same inflated bill myself.

Combined with constant high noise and smoke from street traffic for me it is definitely a place to avoid.

castleburger

Sep 4, 2006
i think the resident menu gives a good discount and the non resident menu does not include the 26 % tax....ive been eating at laroca for more than 3 years and find the food good, reasonably priced, and the service good. as for the noise and pollution...what city did you mention....manhattan (one of the noisiest and polluted cities in the world) just sit inside.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
La Roca is a Tourist Trap

Three of us eat at La Roca two weeks ago and was charged over $20.00 in taxes alone. I live in New York City and stay away from over priced restaurants.
I ate at La Roca last December and knew they were overpriced, but one of my traveling companions was complaining and was tired eating at the inexpensive places we were eating between Cabarette and Sosua. He decided to eat at La Roca. When the bill of 3100 pesos was presented to our table needless to say he was singing a new tune. I have traveled to few places on this planet and I know never to eat around heavily traveled tourist areas.
I work as an accountant in a hotel in New York City and La Roca is very pricey for the Dominican Republic.
When I was exiting La Roca I saw a Dominican family eating a meal. I wondered how they could afford and why would they eat at that expensive eatery. That's when I learned about the two menus. I will never eat at La Roca again.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006

This means about $25 US.

Is it really true??

was there alcohol involved??? important to note that beer is always more at restaurants.

i still like la roca and they have a great breakfast and good buffet.

they are more expensive than most, but considering the options, i'll stay with la roca

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
JD:

You are 100% correct!

The irony of this thread is the OP claims to live in Sosua for years and has never heard of "The Member's menu" for residents!

tambo

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Where is This La Roca??

There is a La Roca on the malecon in Barahona that does not charge those kind of prices..But I don't think you are referring to that resturant..Because when I eat there the tab for 2 with a bottle of chilean wine only comes to 1,350pesos...

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
When they hand you the menu ask for the residents menu. Definitely read the prices to know what to expect when the bill comes! If your not happy leave.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
When they hand you the menu ask for the residents menu.

LMAO,

The people at La Roca are like the Gestapo when you ask for the "residents menu." There are many restaurants in Sousa that don't expect visitors to subsidize the locals!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
LMAO,

There are many restaurants in Sousa that don't expect visitors to subsidize the locals!
I guess it depends on your point of view. Many of the locals appreciate the consideration received for supporting an establishment the 42 weeks of the year when the tourists are absent. I get it...maybe the restaurants should close and open only for tourist season?
BTW- the locals are not paying less for the same item as a tourist, just being provided with a less touristy choice of menu items (i.e. smaller portions).

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i get the resident's discount from my hotel, the del delfin when i come to sosua. it is a tab on my hotel keychain....:))))

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I guess it depends on your point of view. Many of the locals appreciate the consideration received for supporting an establishment the 42 weeks of the year when the tourists are absent. I get it...maybe the restaurants should close and open only for tourist season?
BTW- the locals are not paying less for the same item as a tourist, just being provided with a less touristy choice of menu items (i.e. smaller portions).

B.S! I've seen both menu's,

Perhaps they could put up a sign that says "Many of the locals appreciate the consideration received for supporting an establishment the 42 weeks of the year when the tourists are absent" so we are going to charge you more!!!!

JoeTurist

Jan 30, 2003
B.S! I've seen both menu's,

Perhaps they could put up a sign that says "Many of the locals appreciate the consideration received for supporting an establishment the 42 weeks of the year when the tourists are absent" so we are going to charge you more!!!!

You are a marked person.Ha,ha.
"No soup for you" next time you are in Sosua area.LOL
J.T.

B

batich

JD:

You are 100% correct!

The irony of this thread is the OP claims to live in Sosua for years and has never heard of "The Member's menu" for residents!

tambo

Not living in Sosua for ten years but regularly visiting different parts of the country for ten years. It is not the same thing I guess?
But anyway I was happy to hear from supporters of La Roca - the worst tourist trap in Sosua in my little HO.

Whatever, at least La Roca is located very strategically and will always have an endless supply of "one-time-unhappy eaters" to prosper. But how is going to survive Casa Cayena with its quality of food?!
It is located away from the main street and can rely on regular patrons only.

G

gary short

A heart jammer breakfast at La Roca for 120dr from the locals menu IMO seems like a deal to me....although personally I find it too rich.......a friend of mine asks for extra butter to mix with the hollandaise sauce...and it's free........BTW does Kiwi John still run the joint???????

Mark835

Nov 28, 2005
Hi Guys im at my place in Sosua from Nove 11th and always looking for a good place to eat.Never heard of Casa Cayena thought, what sort of food do they do and can you let me know exactly where it is im a budding regular? Ive tried the La Rocca and found the ratio between quality and price to be a bit off.