Playero. Sosua. Little problem. Big shame!

B

batich

Sosua. Playero. Little problem. Spoiled evening. Big shame.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If somebody related to supermercado PLayero reads this Forum I`d like to share a funny story.

Last night among other things I bought a bottle of wine (nothing fancy, about $7-$8) and a corkscrew.

At home she prepared a bit to eat and I wanted to open the bottle.

Just inserted the corkscrew into the cork it broke right away and the metal piece stuck in the cork.

I inserted what was left into the cork next to the broken piece and tried to remove the cork. One of the handles broke immediatelly.

I hated it but had nothing to do but to go again to Playero, to show them the damage and to take a replacement bottle and corkscrew and expected to hear an apology and to excange jokes about chinese manufacturers of the corkscrews in Playero.

To my surprise I found a very rough treatment. A young clerk advised me to punch the cork inside the botle with some kind of plyers.
I definitely was not willing to do it.

So he practically told me to get lost with this f***ing bottle. So after almost an hour of a VERY unpleasant and aggressive conversation I just bought a new corkscrew and new bottle.

He refused to give me phone number and name of dueno.

Very. I repeat - VERY low class!

Shame on you - owners of Playero!

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Wow, a whole hour fighting over a $7 bottle of wine and what, a $4 corkscrew?

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
What do you think about the handle of that drinking water bottles. When client leaves the empty ones on cashiers they always leave them to wait until the client goes to check-out and then after demands they start to check the bottles and bring from backside the full-ones. If they pass a test ! And all that takes a lot of wasted time, ours.
No need to mention about green potatoes, rotten onions and all overpriced !

B

batich

Wow, a whole hour fighting over a $7 bottle of wine and what, a $4 corkscrew?

I understand your sarcasm. No , nobody waited the whole hour for $8 bottle an $1 corkscrew.

If the little bustard would say from the very beginning - " You, f***ing gringo , f***k off here with your bottle!", I would leave right away and buy another in Super-Super.
All this time the kid one third of my age tried to explain me that I am idiot and do not know how to punch the cork inside the bottle and the wine still will be quite useable, and pretended calling to somebody.

Those people are supposed to respect those who feed them.

But your protection of lasy thievs is well considered.
Buenas noches.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Next time shop at the Coastal Supermarket. People should vote with their feet and take them some other place.

G

gary short

WWWWOWWWWW......RESORT TO GUERRILLA TACTICS when made in China corkscrews fail.......use a thin blunt object and a hammer to punch in that cork or a blunt sword to hack off the neck.........just don't try when you're ****ed on brandy!!!!!!!!

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
So after almost an hour of a VERY unpleasant and aggressive conversation I just bought a new corkscrew and new bottle./QUOTE]

batich, I understand your frustration. It seems that it's becoming increasingly difficult to buy anything of quality these days. However, if you're curious as to why they would respond in the way that they do to your purchase of an inferior product, I think you've answered that in your comment noted above. I would have done exactly as Robert suggested.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The advice to go elsewhere is noted and valid. But really, if I bought a cheapy bottle of wine and a cheapy corkscrew and it all broke on me and I could not get the bottle open, I would not consider it the supermarket's problem? The supermarket did not sell the wine and corkscrew with a guarantee that it would work? They don't offer 'wine bottle opening' services.

B

batich

The advice to go elsewhere is noted and valid. But really, if I bought a cheapy bottle of wine and a cheapy corkscrew and it all broke on me and I could not get the bottle open, I would not consider it the supermarket's problem? The supermarket did not sell the wine and corkscrew with a guarantee that it would work? They don't offer 'wine bottle opening' services.

Following the same logic if someone buys Advil for his headache and instead there is rat poison in the bottle and his widow cannot be upset at them as "they do not guarantee what they sell"?

Just kidding.

If they sell a corkscrew it must open bottles. This is my point.

Actually my post was about HOW SURPRISED I WAS with this disrespectful and angry treatment. Not about losing 10 or 15 bucks.

If I would expect anything like this I would never go after exchange, instead would throw away and buy another one without any unneeded stress and would forget about the whole thing ASAP..

Of course from now I will avoid Playero as much as possible and would try to keep all my friends away from it as much as possible

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Unfortunately if I changed my shopping habits to match bad service or attitude, I would rarely if ever shop in the same store twice. That is the way it is here in almost all places.

My rule is when I find a store that stands behind what they sell AND offers good efficient service, I not only shop there I give them as much business as I can!

I was at a grocery store yesterday, the boy bagging my items had a massive amount of attitude. He was ****ed because I told him not to put the fresh bread in with the bag of bottles and cans! Then after he pretty much threw the groceries in the car he stood there expecting a tip. No, I don't think so.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Corks in bottles of wine have broken on me when I tried to take them out in the states. I dont consider it the fault of the supermarket.

As for corkscsrew breaking I can see your argument but you said it cost you 1 dollar didn't you?

And, after you went there and argued with this guy, you broke down and bought another bottle and corkscrew from him??

Larry

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can agree with your frustration. However, please note how that wine is stored and displayed!! It is standing up! Probably for months on end.

I am sorry that your dinner was delayed/spoiled, but you must understand that the DR is NOT a "wine friendly" place. Buy your wines at places that sell a lot and move the stock rather quickly. I would imagine that there in Sos?a the Super-Super or the Coastal Supermarket would be a better choice than Playero....just on principles...

Of course, "caveat emptor is the theory in far too many places...If you go in during the day, one of the owners is usually there. You can b!tch about poor service and insolence from the snot-nosed fellow, but that is about it.

HB

HB

castleburger

Sep 4, 2006
1) in 3 years i have never received a refund of any kind for anything in this country,

2) nor has anything ever been exchanged.

3) all sales are final, hench the stores checking light bulbs and electrical appliances (etc...)befor you leave the store.

4) if you expect american, canadian, or european policies regarding purchases, exchanges or refunds, a short flight to those places would be your only solution. cant change the customs here im afraid......

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
1) in 3 years i have never received a refund of any kind for anything in this country,

2) nor has anything ever been exchanged.

3) all sales are final, hench the stores checking light bulbs and electrical appliances (etc...)befor you leave the store.

4) if you expect american, canadian, or european policies regarding purchases, exchanges or refunds, a short flight to those places would be your only solution. cant change the customs here im afraid......

In fact had to argue a little,but had some keys made at the large feretera (sp) in Caberete that did not work when I got home. When I returned them along with some wire that i puchased and did not use (for fencing) I got a full refund on all.

Bob K

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Standing behind the products one sells, in the DR, is a new concept that is making progress.
In the case of large purchases, one can ask what the seller's policies are, with regards to returns and refunds.
In the OP's case, he landed an idiot kid with an attitude, which made his scenario worse, but it's not as simple, as if the product had been clearly defective.
Going to Coastal is not a bad idea, for those who have wheels, although I have had no problems at Playero.
Speaking good Spanish and approaching a difficult situation with a smile and courtesy, goes a long way in getting better results.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We have a little.................

........had some keys made at the large feretera (sp) in Caberete that did not work when I got home.........
Bob K

.........trick when it comes to having keys made.....FOR years EVERY time we would have any type of key made in POP, when we got back to Costambar it would never work.........we'd have to take it back to POP and they would refile it and then it would work just fine................

........now we get the key made, do our other shopping, go back to the locksmith, say it doesn't work, and have them refile it before ever trying it..........THEY WORK ALL THE TIME NOW........without the extra trip to POP which these days is an effort in itself with the roads the way they are.....;)

B

batich

Speaking good Spanish and approaching a difficult situation with a smile and courtesy, goes a long way in getting better results.

I speak decent Spanish and exactly did I approach the situation with smile and humour.
I came to P not to fight about 10 bucks but just for the wine that I needed for dinner that was already served. I was absolutely confident that they WON`T ALLOW ME to pay for replacement bottle or corkscrew (exactly like I would do myself in a similar situation. Plus - would give a customer a second bottle free for inconvenience).

Their aggresivness and hostility shocked me by surprise.

If I only could expect ANY aggravation I would throw it away myself and just buy another one.

Being in this paradise on Earth one must be blanc stupid to allow negative emotions inside not for 10. but even for 100 or 1 000 dollars.

But this lesson was very valuable for me : those people stop pretending being friendly and honest even for 10 bucks!

So, can you entrust them thosands in some business relations?

For me answer now is definite NO.

Any business in this country - only with somebody whom I know well personally for many years.

Otherwise - result of any trust is easily predictable.