Simple apartment rent (guarantor needed)

rised

Oct 8, 2006
Hello everyone.

I'm stuck! Can't rent an apartment because don't have DR resident friend who would sign in my rent contract as guarantor.

It seems strange system for me, but there is nothing I can do with it, my landlord is saying that everything ok, but no way it can be done without guarantor...

I suppose that there are some other ways to find guarantor and maybe somebody know them?

It will be very kind of you to help me in this situation - because I'm planning to sign contract at Monday (22 oct. 2006)

Tnx

(cross-posted in Legal section)

rised

Oct 8, 2006
it's how i think & you also that it might be а guarantee;)
but the owner of apartment doesn't think so, she said she needs "el feodor" anyway - that's why i'm searching for help in this formality coz can't deal with her and have no choise

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i once almost signed for a friend of mine in santiago. but lucky for them, they settled for 3 months rent in advance and cancelled the guarantor's requirement. It was a very decent american older fellow. All went fine for 3 months and then he started to have problems with owners of the house. After 6 months he left without paying electric, water and rent for a couple of months and the damage they claim he inflected on the house. The guy fled the country overnight. I was harrassed by the lawyers to pay up, but thanks god, I didn't sign as guarantor or I would have been liable for all the damages and over due rent.
I say, never become a guarantor for anyone that you don't know too well.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tell him you will give him first month and last month. Tell him that he can visit you monthly to check the facility. If you treat him/.her with dignity and a few smiles, I am sure you can do it without too much hassle.

HB

BTW: I agree with AZB..

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
This guarantor thing is a thorn. I have been told by some it means nothing and by others it is important. I recently went thru finding a place to live. What they did in my case...they made me the guarantor and my wife the renter on the contract. So this gurantor thing is at their discretion.

If I were you, I would simply say......after your first face to face meeting....that you don't have a guarantor...."so how can we rent this without one?" Please don't go to meeting looking like a fat beach bum. Dress and look nice. Better to deal directly with the owner because anyone else simply cannot make discretionary decisions. Ask the owner if it is important to him/her to have someone renting who is going to respect the house/apt and take care of it. Then look him in the eye and tell him you are going to take care of it like it were your own and he can come around whenever and check it out.

If you do this then you will eventually find someone that will work with you.

Hillbilly....about two months ago I drove by that Penthouse Apartment. It had a For Sale sign on it. Stopped and talked to the guy who does maitenance there. He said that that attorney lost the listing after she could not rent it out. She was a smug one.

rised

Oct 8, 2006
Thanks to everybody for participating in topic discussion.

I have found two dominicans that can be a guarantor, now I'm waiting for contract.

2 AZB: I wasn't asking about sign in my contract, it was about some agencie, that do business on it. And yes - I agree with you about signing the papers.

2 Snuffy: If these two dominicans will refuse - I'll do so. I'm paying - and I think she is very interested.

2 Chris: Don't have attorney here, only DR1 members that REALLY help me to settle here.

Tnx again.
*Will write how everything is going*