What else do I need to know?

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
Hi there,
I'm thinking of renting a place in the DR for at least 6 months. I've got a line on some relatively cheap places from this site and others.

I've been to DR for 3 vacations. Perhaps my memory is failing, but I seem to recall that the tourist visas were limited to 28 days (or maybe that was Cuba). If I want to rent a place for 6 months, what paperwork do I exactly need?

Is it a simple matter of booking the required return airfare from Canada and then moving in? I understand a return ticket is mandatory for non DR citizens.

I so want to escape the ratrace of Toronto.

Thanks.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
... but I seem to recall that the tourist visas were limited to 28 days (or maybe that was Cuba).
The tourist card you buy when you enter the country is good for 15 days. The add'l fee for staying 6 months is $500RD (see page 4).

If I want to rent a place for 6 months, what paperwork do I exactly need?
That depends on who you rent from. Some require no paperwork, others may require you to sign a detailed lease. Make sure you fully understand anything you sign.

BTW, welcome to DR1.

G

gary short

I've done this, for what it's worth. Buy a last minute seat sale ticket, return of course....Air Transat....for example. Then head down and don't return until you want to. Pay the applicable fee at the airport in the DR for your overstay upon your return.

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
Thanks to you both.

2 questions about your answers:

Do you pay the 6 month card fee when you arrive? I wouldn't want to get caught with an expired tourist card.

What's the "overstay" fee like for an airline ticket? I assume it's not some sort of ridiculous fine amount.

Once again, thanks.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Thanks to you both.

2 questions about your answers:

Do you pay the 6 month card fee when you arrive? I wouldn't want to get caught with an expired tourist card.
No, you pay it when you leave. These days you don't keep the tourist card, they take it from you when you enter the country.

What's the "overstay" fee like for an airline ticket? I assume it's not some sort of ridiculous fine amount.
That depends on the airline and the type of ticket you buy. I know if I buy a heavily discounted ticket on Continental Airlines, it cost $75US to change the ticket, and I must do it before the date of the flight, or the ticket expires without any value. Different airlines have different policies.

G

gary short

When I say overstay fee I'm referring to the fee you pay at the airport upon your departure because you've overstayed your two week two way ticket date. Then when you want to go you purchase a one way from DR to TO at the airline you travelled with initially.....

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Tourist card...unless anything has changed...doesn't mean a whole lot. I have exited the country after being here for a year....paid about US20 and that was that. No questions asked.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
AA is the same

No, you pay it when you leave. These days you don't keep the tourist card, they take it from you when you enter the country.

That depends on the airline and the type of ticket you buy. I know if I buy a heavily discounted ticket on Continental Airlines, it cost $75US to change the ticket, and I must do it before the date of the flight, or the ticket expires without any value. Different airlines have different policies.

AA is the same except that the penalty fee is higher. No value after the date, you overstay without an extension, its a new ticket, the return value is gone.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
When you overstay on a flight that was a charter, you cannot extend your return flight. YOu will need to buy a one way return ticket either with that carrier or another carrier. Return tickets with most charters to Toronto are now about $350 US to $375 US and are on an as available basis only. YOu usually cannot book those until 3 to 4 days prior to departure.

If you fly on a scheduled airline then the change fees apply based on the airline.

Overstaying your tourist visa will have the same penalty regardless of the airline.