Single Supplement Waiver anywhere in POP area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Does anyone know of any resorts in Puerto Plata area that are offering a single waiver during the month of November? I understand sometimes resorts do offer this but it is not always advertised.

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
Breezes POP will waive the single supplement if you book willing to share. Under this program, they will assign you a roommate of the same sex and you pay the double rate. My friend did this two years in a row during peak season and didn't get a roommate either time. I would think that during low season the chances are even greater that you would not get a roommate and would have the room all to yourself just as my friend did.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Thanks sunny2--it is a bit of a risk though isn't it? But, if it worked for her twice--might be worth a try!!

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
For Resort Managers-Single Supplement Waiver

This is just a suggestion but with so many people travelling solo these days, I wonder if any resort managers have considered a single supplement waiver during the off-season. I know I would be more inclined to travel if this were an option and know several others from Canada who would as well. Having said that, I know nothing about running a resort so maybe there is no money to be made in such an offer.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I can't find any for the DR but there are a few resorts in Cuba that waive the single supplement>

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
If you are travelling on a package then I suggest you follow Malibook's lead. Fun Royale seems to have the lowest supplement. If you are not travelling on a package then try approaching the hotel you are interested in. It is shoulder season and some might be more interested in accomodating you! Contact them directly.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Sosua by the Sea Boutique Beach Resort offers the single supplement waiver for parents travelling with a child. Parent pays the per person rate as though it were a double and the child pays the child rate.

No single supplement rate without the child though -- too many issues having to explain to single travellers who suddenly become less single why it is we don't allow unregistered guests.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
unregistered Guests?

Things are much different there than in Canada. In Canada, if someone wanted to take in a guest to their hotel there would not be a problem. Could a person not register their guest if they "found one" (LOL)--just curious--seems strange that an adult could not have a guest?!

Thanks for the info Sosua Joe!!

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
I think it might have more to do with the all inclusive part of the package, not the guest in the room. In a regular hotel if you bring a person to your room, they are only going to use an extra towel. At an all inclusive, they would be consuming food and beverages that they didn't pay for. I would think that if you wanted to pay the all inclusive portion for your guest they may allow him/her to stay with you.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
If

If you want the room to yourself at an All Inclusive resort in order to bring aboard a local guest then you might be out of luck.

I don't normally stay at AI's but from what I understand you can have a guest if they pay for the All Inclusive rate. It's usually outrageous - like $150 US a night at the big chain resorts. You might want to ask your travel agent if they could book an extra person into the room without the airfare and find out if it is cheaper than paying at the front desk for the guest. Remember they are paying for the whole deal - the beach, the food, drinks, entertainment, beach towels, shuttles - whatever is included at an All Inclusive.

If you want to have local guests you should look at staying at a non AI hotel, apartment/studio or private rental instead.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Sunny,

No, it actually has very little to do with the cost of food.

I grew up in the bar business, so I'm no prude, but we simply don't want to contribute to the prostitution problem in any way. Bad for business.

Also, we don't like the contrast between our regular guests and working girls hanging around our pool. Bad for business.

Also, the working girls in the DR are much more problematical than in, say, Canada. Bad for business.

Basically, admitting working girls to our resort is (aside from contributing to a problem we would like to see reduced) far more trouble than it's worth so we prefer that people looking for that sort of diversion do so elsewhere.

Heck, there are enough budget properties around that will rent you a room for a night for very little money that you could afford to take your girl there for the night and then go back to your ai afterwards for some peace and quiet.

(I hope this thread doesn't degenerate into another massive prostitution thread!!!)

Cheers!

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Sunny,

No, it actually has very little to do with the cost of food.

I grew up in the bar business, so I'm no prude, but we simply don't want to contribute to the prostitution problem in any way. Bad for business.

Also, we don't like the contrast between our regular guests and working girls hanging around our pool. Bad for business.

Also, the working girls in the DR are much more problematical than in, say, Canada. Bad for business.

Basically, admitting working girls to our resort is (aside from contributing to a problem we would like to see reduced) far more trouble than it's worth so we prefer that people looking for that sort of diversion do so elsewhere.

Heck, there are enough budget properties around that will rent you a room for a night for very little money that you could afford to take your girl there for the night and then go back to your ai afterwards for some peace and quiet.

(I hope this thread doesn't degenerate into another massive prostitution thread!!!)

Cheers!

Interesting - I never knew that. Either way, I'm sure it's not the most economical way to enjoy local guests...IF that's what the OP's motive is...she/he hasn't responded yet...

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
not my intention

No-not my intention at all--was just looking for a cheaper mode of travelling when I posted this thread--am planning to do some volunteering when I am there with a charitable Foundation that I became involved with on my last trip!! I was just being curious--wondering why things seemed so different there as far as having guests in. It is all very interesting to me--the way everything works.

sunny2

Apr 7, 2006
Well now I feel like an idiot, it hadn't crossed my mind that the person he was going to bring back to his room was a prostitute. Momentary lapse of intelligence. I can see why they wouldn't want that kind of trade taking place in their establishment.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
single supplement offer?

ggparts--I had a look at the site you sent and I am not sure if you posted it because there is a single supplement offer? I cannot find it if there is. Thanks for the site information.

Status
Not open for further replies.