Dengue!! I need urgent informations!!

riccardo

Dec 22, 2005
Hi to everybody..i need some clear informations about the real situation of dengue in Santo Domingo and the whole DR because here in Europe (italy exactely) media are making a great confusion and i think hiding the truth to protect tourist companies. My wife is dominican we have a baby of 6 months.
I have tickets to Santo Domingo dated 10 of November. we've called parents there and They told me to change the date (others living in La Vega don't know much about dengue...) But i have to be sure, if i pay for the change, to be sure that dengue problem is over...
Thanks for your help

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Fact: There have been more than 4000 cases of dengue fever
Fact: There have been about 45 deaths attributed to the fever.
Fact: Because of public awareness, the incidence of more cases is slowing.
Fact: If you use mosquito netting when you sleep, keep your patio free of stagnant water and regularly spray your house for mosquitos, there is much less chance of exposure.
Fact: Dengue is not contageous from personal contact, only through a mosquito vector.

If you are going to visit family that live in squalor or very poor conditions, I would re-think the whole trip! If you are going to visit a hotel or resort, I would not.

Hope this helps.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's much ado about nothing, as hillibilly said, use protective net, anti-mosquito spray, avoid staying in the areas close to stagnant water.
dengue has similar symptoms like a flu, if you feel bad, have a head/muscle pain, fever and shivers simply go to the doctor to get your blood tested.
dengue taken care of early is 100% treatable. there is no need to panic. dengue deaths are of those people who have not been diagnosed and hospitalized early enough.
do not forget a medical insurance for all your family and a good one too.
consult your doctor before coming here, maybe your child needs special anti-mosquito lotions being so young?