Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mobile phone rental

Hi ya'll
    Does anyone have any information about renting a mobile phone for 3 months in Santiago? Locations and estimate of cost.
    Many thanks,
    Rick

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RickC View Post
    Hi ya'll
    Does anyone have any information about renting a mobile phone for 3 months in Santiago? Locations and estimate of cost.
    Many thanks,
    Rick
    All the cell providers have cheapies for sale. Easier to just buy.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

So do you pay for usage by the month or buy " minutes cards" for the usage?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RickC View Post
    So do you pay for usage by the month or buy " minutes cards" for the usage?
    Buy a cheap phone from Verizon or Orange, and just buy minutes as needed. Minutes are sold everywhere in 100, 200, and 300 peos demoninations.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

RickC,
    What I did was purchase a cell phone for around $30. There was no activation fee. Then I just buy minute cards when I need them. Cell phone service is good in DR because of unlimited incoming calls, so if you're ever out of minutes, people can still call you, and you dont have to pay anything. I havent purchased a minute card in a month because my fam in the states always call me, its great!
    JoyO

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Buy a cheap phone from Verizon or Orange, and just buy minutes as needed. Minutes are sold everywhere in 100, 200, and 300 peos demoninations.

How many local minutes do you get on a card?

How many minutes do you get when calling the USA?

Or is there a flat per minute rate?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    How many local minutes do you get on a card?

How many minutes do you get when calling the USA?

Or is there a flat per minute rate?
    You don't get "minutes". You fund an account.

I recall local calls are around 7 pesos a minute, and calls to the state around 17-22 pesos a minute. I could be off on those #'s. I use Orange because they are compatible with an old Moto V400 quad band phone.

There are tons of threads on cell phones in the DR here. A search will provide a ton of info.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I recall local calls are around 7 pesos a minute, and calls to the state around 17-22 pesos a minute. I could be off on those #'s. I use Orange because they are compatible with an old Moto V400 quad band phone.

There are tons of threads on cell phones in the DR here. A search will provide a ton of info.
    I have probably read everyone of the threads but I never recall anyone mentioning approximately how many minutes you get. So a 100 peso card will get me about 5 minutes to the USA and roughly 15 minutes local?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

my GF calls me with her verizon phone and uses up her pesos ( calling card), at about a 30 cents a minute rate.......and believe it or not it is cheaper for her to call a cell phone, than it is to call a land line.

its just the opposite from america...calls are cheaper to land lines than to cells.

I bought a used phone in Santiago for $50... there were a few cheaper.....of course it wasnt guaranteed against Sosua Beach salt water.............now ill sell it for ....make me an offer......

bob

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Those rates are about what Centennial charges, but half on weekends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast