Best ice cream/helado on the island

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've had Bon, B-R and Splash. What are some other brands of ice cream out there, and which do you think is the best?

Anyone ever see a "Cold Stone Creamery/Maggie Moo's" type helado shop?

Also-does anyone have a list of all the Bon locations? I can't find it on their website.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Mariposa, located across the street from Central Park in Puerto Plata serves homemade Italian style ice-cream which I feel is rates far and above the quality and taste of the brands you listed, including their premium lines.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have to agree with the two folks from POP. That is good ice cream.

I also enjoy the Bon Etiqueta Negra--their top line.

HB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
HOney it will be a great pleasure to take you there on Saturday and introduce you to the delights of Mariposa!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bon's premium line (Etiqueta Negra) is great. I hear they've introduced a new flavour - organic chocolate and macadamia. I'm not really that much of an ice-cream person, but that sounds worth trying.

beatrice1979

Oct 25, 2006
Definitely gotta agree with most of you. I love the Bon brand ice creams and the etiqueta negra *the premium* label pistacho is definitely great!
Of course there are other imported brands but I am still love the creamy taste of Bon's. :bunny:
I don't know Mariposa either... but then, I've never stayed for long in Puerto Plata city.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Yes Howmar! The Mariposa home made Italian Ice-Cream is the best, creamiest, most delicious. It is also conveniently located near the Cathedral, so I can indulge at least once a week! Canadian Bob.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
ben and jerry, yummy!
but they are not local, and gosh, how expensive!
we support local produce ;)
mainly brugal and presidente
:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

Brugal and Presidente?????
Let me know which flavor ice cream they have. With a tinge of alcohol ooohh lalalala.:cheeky:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Haagen Daz has cut back their operation here. They were charging too much, as does Baskin Robbins, whcih i think is the best available, though I like Bon's Etiqueta Negra line. I will have to try Mariposa next time I am up in Puerto Plata. So if it is Italian is it like Gelatto? I love really good Gelatto.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Haagen Daz has cut back their operation here. They were charging too much, as does Baskin Robbins, whcih i think is the best available, though I like Bon's Etiqueta Negra line. I will have to try Mariposa next time I am up in Puerto Plata. So if it is Italian is it like Gelatto? I love really good Gelatto.
Unlike the US and Europe, I suspect ice cream, as a "commodity" is price inelastic/sensitive in the DR.

Is Haagen Dasz imported, or is it made in the DR?