Best coffee cafe in the DR

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Decano in Santiago is excellent, a wide variety of coffee choices. What are some others?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
By far the best coffee I have ever tasted is Café Orgánico from the Melo factory in Barahona. Our friend "kfrancis" was the instigator of me trying this coffee. It is truly outstanding. It is full bodied, never bitter and smooth....

If you behave yourself, and visit the Hovel, you just might be able to try some for yourself. I have 50# on order this month.....It's that good!!

HB

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
In Villa Gonzales, there's a "Café Organico" factory... I don't have the name in mind, but you can see the factory from the autopista... Really good...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
By far the best coffee I have ever tasted is Café Orgánico from the Melo factory in Barahona. Our friend "kfrancis" was the instigator of me trying this coffee. It is truly outstanding. It is full bodied, never bitter and smooth....

If you behave yourself, and visit the Hovel, you just might be able to try some for yourself. I have 50# on order this month.....It's that good!!

HB
Mom CB and I will be there in mid-December for a wedding. The hovel sounds great, I look forward to the coffee. Besides, you have something I wanna pick up (along with some cigars).

But how anout coffee shops? I don't recall a Starbucks in the DR, but there must be some nice coffee cafes around besides Decano in Santiago...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
- Cafetera del Conde in the Colonial Zone for good coffee and old-time decor and atmosphere.

- Caribbean Coffee with several branches, mainly in malls, is the Starbucks wannabe.

- Most panaderias and pastelerias serve good coffee - La Francesa, Panavi, La Cuchara de Madera (need a fix of that!) etc.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
La Cafetera is great, although more like an Italian coffee bar than a Starbucks-type cafe. And, considering its location, remarkably few tourists there.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Okay, so now that we know excellent coffee can be found in the DR, where ,in or near (and by near I mean real close) Sosua can I find a really good cup of coffee and where can I get some decaf(don't laugh)

Thanks

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
At the risk of being out of subject, let me comment that the "Haitian Blue" is one of the very best coffee of the region. It comes from Haiti (as it names says)... I am sure you can find some in Little Haiti (in Sto Dgo, behind el mercado modelo, av.Mella)...

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
The Melo organic is very very good, but I like what La Cafetera dishes out better. The warehouse where they get their bags is up on Gomez near Munné chocolate. Squat is right too, the Haitian coffee is excellent.

and by the way the little coffee shop at the side of the Mercado Modelo in la Mella, is also a nice place to buy fresh coffee. Cheaper than La Cafetera, theirs is a bit more tangy and acidic, but quite good.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Nativo's Sosua

Okay, so now that we know excellent coffee can be found in the DR, where ,in or near (and by near I mean real close) Sosua can I find a really good cup of coffee and where can I get some decaf(don't laugh)

Thanks

Right on Pedro Clisante almost across from Clasico disco in Sosua, tobacco and coffee and some killer chocolate cake. Some here call it the Cuban coffee shop. Works for us. Don't know if they have decaf but I would guess they do. Also a new joint next door to the Castle Burger place called Common Ground....but sporadic hours. Next on our list after the Cuban place is a Marua Mai (restaurant) cortado or espresso - always good.

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
Right on Pedro Clisante almost across from Clasico disco in Sosua, tobacco and coffee and some killer chocolate cake. Some here call it the Cuban coffee shop. Works for us. Don't know if they have decaf but I would guess they do. Also a new joint next door to the Castle Burger place called Common Ground....but sporadic hours. Next on our list after the Cuban place is a Marua Mai (restaurant) cortado or espresso - always good.

My vote goes with Teddy. The Cuban Coffee shop is wonderful. Their egg croissants are excellent too.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
No Villa Gonzalez but when you leave Villa Gonsalez to Puerto Plata. On your left hand there is a food process for poultry , Right before a concrete pedestrian bridge.
On your left hand Puros de las Antillas. On the left side a big white wharehouse with no signs. This is the place.
The area is las Lavas. Right after on your way to P.Plata , on you left hand there is a Orange cell phone tower.

Bear

Aug 15, 2006
Best Dominican Coffee

OK, now that we can enjoy a good cup of coffee in Sosua can anyone
tell me where I can buy Haition Blue or some other outstanding coffee
in the Sosua/Cabarete/PP area.
We have tried various brands available in the super mercados from PP
to Cabarete and inbetween. So far still the best aroma and taste is from
coffee beans "Cafe Tostado En Grano" Santo Domingo. I prefer to grind
my own coffe as I use it. It tastes better and has a fuller aroma. Just
MHO.
Any suggestion is welcome.
Bear

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I used to buy chocolate-rasberry(yum) flavored coffee beans (decaf)from Timothy's here, but they discontinued it. Any chance I will find anything like that in Sosua? Maybe I should just try some of the Haitian Blue(if I can find it ) and some of that chocolate cake. I'll be wired for my whole vacation. But chocolate cake? Yum!

Bear

Aug 15, 2006
Coffee Beans

OK, I did spend the last couple of weeks looking in all the wrong places for
Haitian Blue or any other full bodied coffe in bean form (not ground ).
Can anyone please asvise where this ellusive product can be purchased on
the North Coast from Costambar to Rio San Juan and even Santiago.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Bear.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
OK, I did spend the last couple of weeks looking in all the wrong places for
Haitian Blue or any other full bodied coffe in bean form (not ground ).
Can anyone please asvise where this ellusive product can be purchased on
the North Coast from Costambar to Rio San Juan and even Santiago.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Bear.
Go to the Monte Alto processing plant in Jarabacoa (go across the bridge downtown; it's maybe 1/4 mile from there). Take the interesting tour, and buy some of their excellent organic coffee. Very full-bodied...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you wanna try some of the finest imported Coffees and Teas, try "The Common Ground" in Sosua, right next door, to the left of Club X, in town.

They sell coffee wholesale to other restaurants.

The cakes and pies are all homemade and a must try!

A

apostropheman

If you wanna try some of the finest imported Coffees and Teas, try "The Common Ground" in Sosua, right next door, to the left of Club X, in town.

They sell coffee wholesale to other restaurants.

The cakes and pies are all homemade and a must try!
:bunny::bunny:is this the place with the huge cigar for decoration? if so it's a fav of mine too:bunny::bunny: