sup guys, quick question about college in DR.

alvaro_g16

Oct 24, 2006
What is up guys, let me introduce myself first. My name is Alvaro I've been living in the United States for almost 5 years and I am currently finishing my Senior year. Now this is where the decisions need to come. As I said before I've been living here for almost five years, but I've never liked it here. I came here mostly because my parents brought me here to say the least and so far I am thankful for that. I've learned a new language and I am about to accomplish something something my brothers and sisters did not have a chance to do and that is to graduate from high school in the USA. Now I am looking for options, I am seriously thinking about going to college in the Dominican Republic, especially to the PUCMM in Santiago. I am still unsure of what I am going to study, but I am leaning towards Hotel Management.

My question is, Should I go to DR and go to college there for four years and get my Hotel Management degree and either come back to the States and validate that degree, if needed or simply take a course or something to be able to use my degree in the USA and in DR. BUT my real question is what do you guys think of going to college in the Dominican Republic?

I would appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Alvaro!

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
BUT my real question is what do you guys think of going to college in the Dominican Republic?

Alvaro!

I say, study in the DR if you plan to stay there and work; study in the US if you want to work in the US. But since you don't like the US, the DR would be my choice.

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Alvaro g16!!

What is up guys, let me introduce myself first. My name is Alvaro I've been living in the United States for almost 5 years and I am currently finishing my Senior year. Now this is where the decisions need to come. As I said before I've been living here for almost five years, but I've never liked it here. I came here mostly because my parents brought me here to say the least and so far I am thankful for that. I've learned a new language and I am about to accomplish something something my brothers and sisters did not have a chance to do and that is to graduate from high school in the USA. Now I am looking for options, I am seriously thinking about going to college in the Dominican Republic, especially to the PUCMM in Santiago. I am still unsure of what I am going to study, but I am leaning towards Hotel Management.

My question is, Should I go to DR and go to college there for four years and get my Hotel Management degree and either come back to the States and validate that degree, if needed or simply take a course or something to be able to use my degree in the USA and in DR. BUT my real question is what do you guys think of going to college in the Dominican Republic?

I would appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Alvaro!

I'm scare of what can happened to all your current achivements and your future in the DR!!

I'll tell you a quick story of what happened to two of my sisters!
My parents sent both of them to study here in the US in 1975; they were 11 & 13 y/o. My father worked very hard to send money (U.S.$$$) to help my aunt with tuition/room/board for them. They both graduated from high school here in Cali and when it was time to decide what to do next; one opted for Custom Designing and the other one had the same idea you have in mind.

After everybody got tired of advising the second one, not to do it; her stuburn self went back home to follow her dreams: study Hotel Management and was very good at it; got a job at the Embassador Hotel which back the days was one of the best hotels in SD.

Everything went good 'til one day she got tired and desided to come back to the US. Came back to realized that to begin with; the good English she used to speak was invaded with an accent; her other sister she grew up with was in way better status economically/socially speaking and until this day I most tell you that my adorable sister is 54 y/o and regrets the 10 years she waisted back home. Life changed drastically for her; and the stragles follow in a day by day basis.

Now, don't get me wrong since I'm not trying to scared you and/or guide you in other ways. I'm just concerned of what can happen with your future and as you've said it sounds as if it is in the right direcction; and others haven't have the opprotunity to be where you are at; I will highly consider all pros and cons of a move; and been the fact that there are thousands of people wanting to come over for a brighter future; it should be enough for anyone to stop and think very profund of a move back to the DR, specially at your age.

Anyway; best luck to you in any of your future endeavors and God be with you to guide you and show you the right path! :)

My 2 cents.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Is the question should you go to college in the DR or the US for educational value or for you having a better time? There is no doubt the answer is the US if its an educational question. If you are talking about your pleasure level, you state you don't really care for it in the US, then goto school in the DR.

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Agree!

Is the question should you go to college in the DR or the US for educational value or for you having a better time? There is no doubt the answer is the US if its an educational question. If you are talking about your pleasure level, you state you don't really care for it in the US, then goto school in the DR.

I totally agrre with you!!!

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Hey Alvaro, I completely understand where you're coming from. Unlike you however, I've lived in the US my whole life but still love the idea of working and living comfortably in the DR. I recently graduated from college with a degree in business. I do believe that a degree from the US holds more weight in just about any country than one in the DR (this is just my opinion; people who know more than me on this board may prove me wrong). The business climate in the DR is not as secure as the US so if (heaven forbid) the DR becomes a country where it's too hard (or harder) to live in, you can always go back to the US and still have the US degree (after all, I've seen cab drivers who were lawyers in the DR).

But if I were you I would do more research and see if Hotel Mgt in PUCMM really is respectable in the DR and where and how far can a degree from there take you--I have met some brilliant people who have graduated in dominican universities and will no doubt make it far in their careers. In addition, i'm assuming they have pretty decent hotel mgt programs being a growing tourism location.

It's good to hear your at least thinking of getting your education--you can PM me if you have any questions.

Best of luck,

Jose

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Alvarg g16,

Welcome to DR1. Your everything you ever wanted to know about the DR message board.

Having said that then I wish to inform you that I am going to move your thread into the "Living" forum.

The reason I am doing this is because not everyone reads the "Dominicans Abroad" forum but almost everyone reads the "Living" forum.

This way there will be more of an opportunity to get responses from those that live here.

I will leave a "Re-direct" in place for 30 days so that it will appear in both forums.

Rick

alvaro_g16

Oct 24, 2006
thanks everyone for sharing your thoughs they are very helpful, but I would like to see some more if possible.

Thanks!

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
Im not much older that you, or at least not as old as your parents probably are! So I can sympathize with your desire to have some fun.

But I cannot put it any more clearly: GO TO COLLEGE IN THE U.S.

Since you asked for *more* advice I suspect you already know this but really want to hear someone successfully convince you out of it.

Not going to happen. GO TO COLLEGE IN THE U.S.

The education-level, the ease with which you will find employment (in any country), and a million and one intangibles all point to one conclusion:

GO TO COLLEGE.... you know where.

Spring Break down here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Alvaro: Since I teach at PUCMM and have been here for more than 40 years, listen up!

You can study anything you want here. The school produces fine graduates. It does demand that you study. I tell my kids: "Universidad quiere decir, 'uno viene a ver si da', y que no da, se va." So you will have to study. And there is ample time to play, believe me.

Now, once finished your degree, if you should so choose, you can go to graduate school anywhere in the world. The degree is recognized everywhere.

Oh yeah, we have just finished the new kitchens for the hotel and restaurant school in Santiago.....

Think about it.

HB

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
One thing you can do is start college here in U.S., after a year do the study abroad program over there at PUCMM and if you really like it transfer there. That way if you don't like it (study abroad program)you still have school here to fall back on. My daughter did the study abroad there so I know it is a possibility. Anyways think long and hard before you make your decision. But also remember you are still young so if you decide to go for it and it doesn't work out at least you gave it a try. Thats better than always wondering what if I did?
BTW what feedback have you gotten from your parents about this?

alvaro_g16

Oct 24, 2006
Thanks for your answers everyone!!

BTW what feedback have you gotten from your parents about this?

Well it's tough to describe, my parents are not too clear either. I mean they understand that I like it there and haven't accostumed to living in here, but my mom does say to stay here for the 4 years and then go to DR, which is what she told me about high school. "stay here 4 yrs, learn your english and go back." So that's that. But if I do stay and get a loan or something to study in here in the US I might need to stay longer, now we are talking about 6-7 years to pay back the loan. So time will get extended fairly quick. My dad doesn't seem to mind much, but he thinks DR sucks to say the least.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Alvaro g16,

Well you've received some answers to your questions and this gives you something to think about.

Talking about questions one presently pops up screaming to be asked. Of course it depends on whether you wish to expand beyond your presentation in the OP. In your OP you said, "but I've never liked it here", in which you were referring to there in the US. I truly wish that you would expand on that so that I and others may get a better understanding as to what it is you don't like there after 5 years. Your answer could very well alter the opinions that are being presented.

Rick

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We have talked a loittle bit via PMs, but I'll put this out here.

I doubt very much that either your mother or father have been to the university. Therefore, they do not know what that means, nor do they know the experiences you will undergo or what you will learn.

Any good school will cost about $30-40K in the States. In the DR, the PUCMM, not the most expensive one, will cost about $40K pesos per semester! Once finished you will have your choice of graduate programs, provided you get good grades....

In addition, you will meet and socialize with your peer group, the group that will be your friends and competitors throughout your professional life. They will be your network and your support group. (this happens at any university, of course)

I certainly am for the move.

Regarding an exchange student program. Not the worst idea, but it is a very expensive way to explore your options....I think a two week sojourn would do it during late Spring or Very early Summer.

HB

alvaro_g16

Oct 24, 2006
alright Rick, to be precise what I do not like here is the fact that life in here is common sense day after day. By that I mean every day you wake up, go to school, eat, go home, eat, play basketball (which I played in HS), then go home sleep and do the same things again for the entire week. I am sure the same goes in DR but there I have family members, a ton of friends, and most importantly language.... I am very good with my english, I work at a retail store and I am doing very well there, but nothing can be compared to your first language and place where you were born, like for me that is DR. In conclusion I would say I am not too comfortable here, because I can move around this city only, other than this I am lost. There are a lot of things language, comfort, desire to learn new things, etc.

Hope this help you all understand a little more the reason why I don't like the US as much as DR.

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
Well I guess after thinking about it more, it probably would be much better for you financially to go there (PUCMM) seeing that your degree would be recognized here as well. I don't think you will lose your english skills either instead they would be an asset to you. It also seems that it would be ok either way with your parents which would make it easier for you. It does look like here you are putting your schooling as your first priority, just try to make sure it stays top priority, you will only be a winner in the end!! Good luck either way and keep us informed. BTW Is your family from Santiago? Kathy

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Where in the US?

Hey Alvaro,

Just curious, where in the US do you live? don't think you mentioned it.

I must congratulate you on your English; it is incredibly good for someone who's only been here for 5 years--it will no doubt be an asset to you in the DR just like speaking Spanish is an asset in the US.

I mentioned before you should stay in the US to study but now seeing Hillbilly's pov, maybe you should do what feels right and go to the DR. You did mention, however, that you would have more of a social life in the DR...and that's great. I just hope that that's not your only reason nor is it your priority. These are definately things to look at when considering where one wants to live and work, but not for school. Going to school should be about getting ahead (of course I'm not saying you should a total antisocial, nerdy, loser) in my opinion...and thus it should be about which college/place would likely get you where you want to be. It seems as though PUCMM may not be a bad choice after all---but make sure your reasoning is more about your personal success and education than your social life (you'll have enough time to enjoy it in the future).

Sigue pa' lante mi hermano.

alvaro_g16

Oct 24, 2006
hey CarpeDReam thanks for answers and especially for following my thread. I am from Providence, RI. So for those of you who did not know where I was from there it is.

Getting into the social life thing it might be a little bit, because I have more cousins and stuff in there, but I am not into partying too much or drinking and stuff so that will not be something that will be worrying me when the decision time comes. I did speak to my mom today and she was mostly telling me that she will give me the chance to go and try it if that it's my final decision but as you guys have told me it will be hard and there will be a lot of studying to do, which I am ready for. Also she told me that I will be feeling lonely and that will be a problem because I am planning to live with my brother, which is not the same thing as having both parents in your house.

So that's the update guys thanks for following my thread I really appreciate it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Lean on me"

If you are going to come here to study! (And a bit of social life!! LOL)

Seriously.

Where does your brother live?? We have a few kids here from "Providencia"..and Lawrence and Patterson and good ol' NYC!

HB