Furniture

botc115

Aug 8, 2005
Where would be the best place to buy furniture on the main road between Cabarete and Puerto Plata?
Need to purchase mattress, living room furniture and patio furniture.

We have a condo in Caberete. Will be arriving there middle of next week.

Thanks for all your help and input.

Dar

Manilvaes

Nov 6, 2006
Hi There Dar

I was wondering if you have had any responses on your questions regarding furniture. We are thinking of moving to dr after the hurricane season next year and I will have to bring all my furniture from spain with me - i would rather buy there. What have you heard?
Michelle

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hi There Dar

I was wondering if you have had any responses on your questions regarding furniture. We are thinking of moving to dr after the hurricane season next year and I will have to bring all my furniture from spain with me - i would rather buy there. What have you heard?
Michelle

Michelle, there is no problem buying furniture here. You can either buy furniture already made or furniture as you would like it made. Much easier to buy here than to bring with you.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Hi There Dar

We are thinking of moving to dr after the hurricane season next year and I will have to bring all my furniture from spain with me -
Michelle
I didn't realize that hurricanes were such a problem in Spain.

Manilvaes

Nov 6, 2006
Hi there

No I meant I will only be coming in DR after the hurricane season. Here in Spain we only have rain.

M

Manilvaes

Nov 6, 2006
Are there companies that will take care of all the furntiure for you? Getting it delivered. Is it easy to rent a property with furniture - or is it really bad quality furniture?

M

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Squeek, squeek.....

Are there companies that will take care of all the furntiure for you? Getting it delivered. Is it easy to rent a property with furniture - or is it really bad quality furniture?

M

Raton is usually what is in rentals, cheap, uncomfortable, ugly and so daggone noisey. This type of furniture sits outside my house on the porch as this is about all this crap is good for. The inside is all Mahagony! I walk into Ex-pat houses and I see this stuff I pretty much got it figured out. Squeek, squeek!

Most furniture and appliance stores offer delivery and accept major credit cards. There is lower grades of furniture that is actually quite attractive and affordable which is available. You can still be a cheapee, cheapee but don't have to look as if you are a cheapee, cheapee.

SQUEEK, SQUEEK

Sep 19, 2005
you can get any type of furniture you want as long as it is mohogany.............the only other furniture I have ever seen( I looked a lot for a bureau) is cheap white painted crap and I have seen Oak, Baby furniture.........otherwise it is mohogany or mohogany..

I actually hate the mohogany furniture, because it looks like all the stuff the auctioneers sell up here in NY....imported mohogany stuff from asia.....it actually looks nice....but I cant get the cheap auction image out of my head......they buy it by the truck load..............

I looked at some huge dinning room tables in Higuey...$5,000 US......I get the feeling buying furniture wont be one of the benefits of moving to the DR.

bob

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Go to Gaspar Hernandez. Gaspar Hernandez is the next town east of Sabaneta.

There is a store there called 'Pappa Terra'. There are 3 floors of furniture and if you don't like what you see ask to speak to the owner as she can have anything you want made to order.

We had the following made to order:
We had a king bed made (Mahagony) $1000.00USD
Oversized dining table with 8 chairs $1500.00USD

We bought a king mattress and box springs (new) $300.00USD
Stainless steal stove: $400.00

Don't be shocked when you see the 'gothic' Dominican style sofas and chairs just sort through some magazines or online and take the pictures with you.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Bear in mind that much of the mahogany in this country in fact is not. There are many reasons why that is so, but because the country is famous for its wood (logging was what kept this colony afloat when it turned into a backwater), everyone is always trying to sell you mahogany. Mahogany and Guayacan (lignum Vitae) are two of the most durable and dense woods in existence. That is why Mahogany can be tooled so finely and still support the full weight of an obese person. There are scams here; much of the mahogany is actually cheaper wood stained dark. In fact the real wood is not so dark, but it does have a small tight black grain.

I learned something extremely interesting the other day from a conservationist doing a study here. Because of the arcane rules set up by the govt to protect the forests, and Mahogany in particular, most country people consider the tree a real nuisance because if it grows on their property they lose control over it, as it comes under the purview of the govt. So they burn the trees, claim that some "conuquero" set off a brush fire when clearing his land, and then, because the trees are burnt, they are allowed by law to cut them down (The wood inside is still good, so they can also turn a profit and sell it!)

Also the tree propagates like a weed, it is a real survivor.

castleburger

Sep 4, 2006
there are lots of furniture factories in santiago. i went there and nicely furnished my apartment for just under 9000 us dollars. none of it the wicker lawn furniture crap. it takes a full day to go and pick out the pieces from the different factories, but they all will deliver. theres a sealy matress place in the mall in santiago, and well worth the price. most dominican matresses are rebuilt old ones...dont go cheap on this, as your sleep posture is very important in your later years.......usually when buying anything in the dr there is one good rule of thumb... something that costs 100 dollars in the capitol will cost 125 dollars in santiago 150 in puerto plata, and 200 in sosua cabarete......

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
furniture for sale

Sosua by the Sea Boutique Beach Resort is selling off the old furniture now that the renovations are done. Call Martha or Marc for information 809 571 3222.

Cheers!

Joe

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Old and New

Caoba is not caoba.
Old caoba is dense, dark hard wood, new caoba is often imported from fast growing plantations, which doesn't really deserve the name 'mahogany'.

m'frog

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
something that costs 100 dollars in the capitol will cost 125 dollars in santiago 150 in puerto plata, and 200 in sosua cabarete......

I don't think furniture is cheaper in the "capitol" SD. For DR-made items Santiago and surrounding area, going directly to the manufacturers is where the best deals are IMO. Depends really on what you want, if you buy imported furniture it matters less.