New With A Work Question

cazza

Oct 25, 2006
Hi All

I stumbled accross this site yesterday and was impressed it has alot of information.

I Just had a quick question as i wanted to clarify. . Can you enter on a tourist visa and then get a job or do you need another sort of visa first?

If this has been answered clearly before or someone can direct me to somewhere to get the answer i don't mind.

I don't want people to have to repeat.

Thanks

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, you can enter with a tourist visa and get a job. Sometimes employers assist with residency but depending on where you are and which kind of job, many people do it 'under the table' so to speak.

The tough part is not the visa, the tough part is getting a job.

cazza

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Chris

Thank you for the reply. . .It was helpful.

I do have some reading up to do about things but its great to have a place to come to ask any questions you can't find. . .

So it is very hard to find jobs over there?

I am not looking for a professional job such as teacher or medical ect. . .

Are they big penalties if you get caught working illegally?

Cazza

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
cazza, I suggest you start researching by reading first the posts in the employment section of the this board, and then read the posts in living. (Probably the sanky posts as well!) Also, use the search button and search for employment or jobs or the specific job that you want. You will have months of reference material to work through.

Also, I don't know what the formal penalties are. I suggest it would depend on the mood of the person catching you while working illegally. To my knowledge, I have only seen this happen once in the little town of Cabarete and in the restaurants there. As I said, your problem will be getting a job, not getting a visa.