Best auto for the DR

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've been renting Honda CR-V's on my many trips to the DR, and they seem like a pretty good choice for an overall vehicle in the country. I travel in both urban traffic, and deep into el campo. The CR-V is AWD, small enough to be in traffic, rugged enough for bad roads, carries some stuff well, and Honda quality. It's semi small for my frame (6'2", 230) and a tad underpowered, but the positives outweigh negatives.

I could see the utility of a hybrid pick-up, like an L200 or Toyota Hilux, possibly a diesel.

I'm considering a move to the DR, possibly Samana or Santiago, and would do some varied driving. I am curious about the opinions of folks who live there 24/7/365:

What do you think is the best vehicle to own in the DR and why?

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Well, I don't know if it's the best, but I am very satisfied with my Hilux Surf, basically it's a deisel Toyota 4runner. For a midsized jipeta I get relatively good mpg, much better than the same sized Mitsubishi's. It is rugged, I have never been stuck anywhere, including going through some badly flooded area's, muddy areas, beach etc. It is not the most elegant interior, but it's practical side is why I love it. It also has never been broken into and doesn't seem to attract as much attention as some of the other jipeta's. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, a '99 model will run you about 500K peso's.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I've been renting Honda CR-V's on my many trips to the DR, and they seem like a pretty good choice for an overall vehicle in the country. I travel in both urban traffic, and deep into el campo. The CR-V is AWD, small enough to be in traffic, rugged enough for bad roads, carries some stuff well, and Honda quality.

Those are the reasons why I enjoy my Honda CR-V

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
My choice

I've been renting Honda CR-V's on my many trips to the DR, and they seem like a pretty good choice for an overall vehicle in the country. I travel in both urban traffic, and deep into el campo. The CR-V is AWD, small enough to be in traffic, rugged enough for bad roads, carries some stuff well, and Honda quality. It's semi small for my frame (6'2", 230) and a tad underpowered, but the positives outweigh negatives.

I could see the utility of a hybrid pick-up, like an L200 or Toyota Hilux, possibly a diesel.

I'm considering a move to the DR, possibly Samana or Santiago, and would do some varied driving. I am curious about the opinions of folks who live there 24/7/365:

Double cabin pickup

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hilux' are expensive but very durable. I like the Mitsubishi L-200 and I fit into them with ease.
A good friend just got a Mazda 4x4 4dr pickup, diesel, stick shift. Absolutely loves it. I travelled back and forth to Santo Domingo in it twice, both front and back seat and was not at all uncomfortable...in fact front seat was luxury!

I think, in order of truly good value:
Toyota
Mitsubishi
Nissan
Mazda
Chevrolet w/diesel engine (Or GMC)
Ford F-150 w/diesel engine
Dodge with the Cummins engine.

The American brands are expensive but they are much more comfortable than anything the Japanese put out...

HB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Toyotoa Hilux

Santiago Price 2 weeks ago, 2006 "full", 0 KM, US$39,500, dual cab, 4WD diesel w/custom wheels standard. Delta agency.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Wow. $39,500...:surprised

Welcome to the Dr.
and by the way that's a good price here............My four year old Land Cruiser Diesel sells now for over $50.000 I guess one of the reasons is the 2007 sells for $100.000+

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Welcome to the Dr.
and by the way that's a good price here............My four year old Land Cruiser Diesel sells now for over $50.000 I guess one of the reasons is the 2007 sells for $100.000+
I'll be the big white guy stuffed into one of those beat-up teeny Hi-Jet "truck" thingy's...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Hilux I have seen are about RD$1,300,000.....whatever that is....

And I am sorry I forgot the Izusu...they are good trucks...

I can support the Mitsubishi problems...we have three of them and they seem to have a lot of problems with their alternators...do not know why.

Otherwise, they are workhorses.

HB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Lexus Jeepeta

Have a friend who paid US$99K for a new Lexus SUV in early 2005 !! Super nice ride and it damn well better be!! cunnnhhhhhoooo !!
I'm looking at an '02 Mitsubishi dual cab diesel 4WD right now and they're running about $16-$17K with decent odomoter reading. Thing is, can't get a CarFax reading on them 'cause they're not US imports, so mileage is, uh, you know. ...Does anyone know what it costs to have a turbo diesel with inner-cooler cost to get rebuilt here? I don't have a clue on that cost yet. I'm talking full overhaul on the engine......rest seems to be relatively decent.
alan? talk to your bud and let me know if you getta chance. thx.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Have a friend who paid US$99K for a new Lexus SUV in early 2005 !! Super nice ride and it damn well better be!! cunnnhhhhhoooo !!
I'm looking at an '02 Mitsubishi dual cab diesel 4WD right now and they're running about $16-$17K with decent odomoter reading. Thing is, can't get a CarFax reading on them 'cause they're not US imports, so mileage is, uh, you know. ...Does anyone know what it costs to have a turbo diesel with inner-cooler cost to get rebuilt here? I don't have a clue on that cost yet. I'm talking full overhaul on the engine......rest seems to be relatively decent.
alan? talk to your bud and let me know if you getta chance. thx.

Methinks that is kinda high! Especially if you are contemplating a rebuild. I got a quote on a 03 model at $525K....but I think I will check on that. I could well be wrong...There are tons of rebuild places, but most people here prefer to go buy an new "used" motor and plop it in!!...fasster and cheaper.
I am doing this with an '87 GMC Monster truck...$70K for the rebuild, $65 for a "new" used motor....6.2 GMC diesel!!! GRRRRR!!!

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ridiculous! It says I can edit and I can't!! WTF??

OK, I'll just post again.

Up above I said I'd check, and I did. And I was wrong. The price, $525K, was for a cherry condition '01 model. My boys laughed at that price and said that the guy did not want to sell.....

For what its worth...

HB

Sep 19, 2005
I have made 14 trips to the dr in the last 16 months and I rent an SUV every time....hondas, nissians, mitsubishi's....but i was really suprised at the Suzuki Grand Vitari...it has POWER..or it is geared very good....it is about the same size as the honda...I am 6'3" and 230 as well...and I fit fine in it...I have very little head room in one of the SUVs i rent..it may be the Honda or the Nissan.....I forget at the moment which.....rent a susuki grand vitari....and see what you think... remember its the GRAND vitari...not the regular vitari....(not that it is THAT much bigger)... I took one out to Samana from Santiago.....got fantastic gas mileage. I could pull away from traffic or pass with no problems....and it is four wheel drive.

good luck....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The mitsubishis are workhorses, I agree. But they do have a lot of problems with the electrical systems and with the front end. Bushings wearing out prematurely, unusual excessive wear on the front brakes, and tie rod ends wearing out. Pain in the butt stuff. The front end problems usually come from oversized tires.

i wish someone would tell me all that before we got our montero sport....
the price, however was good and a car has never driven on dominican roads before. studid me, i thought it's gonna be better ride on our evrer dug-up calle, wrong! it shakes even more. poor me.
it is however very sturdy and alltogether minivio is happy about it.
me, i know zip about cars but even ewith all the monies in the world i would not buy brand new posh lexus jeepeta, it's a waste of a nice looking car to drive in on dominican roads. i saw in bayardo in pop mercedes slr, now, that is just plain stupid!
for roads here something big, cheap and strong is best....

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
CRVs

This is what I own for my rental business. They are very good cars/jeepetas. Rugged enough for the campo and a nice ride on the roads with fantastic gas mileage.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Buyers beware

Also keep in mind before buying. Many cars, truck, suvs that have been under water during Katrina where "written off" by the insurance companies and are now being reconditioned and are being sold in other countries such as the Dominican Republic. Also, many vehicles are sub standard with their safety design depending on where they were manufactured. Do your homework on a car before you buy.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is what I own for my rental business. They are very good cars/jeepetas. Rugged enough for the campo and a nice ride on the roads with fantastic gas mileage.
How much are they new and used, say no more than 3 years old?